Western Union money transfer

You can go to the WU site any time to check the current exchange rate and the fees without having a WU account, but you will have to create one and log in to make a transfer.

And once you have created an account and made a transfer, you can log in and "resend" the same amount in less than two minutes.

It won't take much longer to send a different amount or select an alternative way of receiving the funds.

If you are sending funds to yourself, after the first couple transfers you will have to "register" yourself as the recipient.

To accomplish this you will have to click on a link which will be provided and enter your personal information, including your DNI and CBU (if you are sending funds to an Argentine bank), or your passport number if you don't have a DNI.

Western union for some reason has become much much faster for bank to bank transfers. Small amounts under 500 arrive for me the same day. Larger amount take 2 or 3 days on average. I habrnt had to wait 8 days as it states since sometime last year.

I stopped using the debit card transfer when I was in a crunch due to this.

To get the exact amount they charge for a specific transaction, you'll have to go to the WU website and plug in the amount to be transfered and the way the money will be sent as well as received.

WU charges progressively more for cash pickup if the funds are sent directly from a US bank account and a debit card can also be used (usually speeding up the transfer) at no extra charge .

For example, the charge is &25 USD for a transfer of 500 USD and 50 dollars for a transfer of 1000 USD.

The fees are $39.50 and $77 USD if the transfer is paid with a credit card

However, if the sender pays in cash at a Western Union agency, the transfer fee is only $8 USD for either amount.

WU does not charge any fee for bank to bank transfers, but, as indicated on the online form when you are setting up the transfer, it could take up to eight days to receive the funds, though one member of the forum reported the funds arrived much sooner.

As far as I know, the bank to bank transfer is the only one without a fee.

I made a transfer last night and the rate was $160.86 (and still is this morninig).

I used my US debit card for the transfer of just under $500 USD and the fee was $10 USD.

I expect the funds to be credited to my Argentine bank account late this afternoon (before 6pm).

PS: You can go to the WU site any time to check the current exchange rate and the fees without having a WU account, but you will have to create one and log in to make a transfer.
So if I go to a WU location, present my debit card and tell them how much I want, it's a lot cheaper than using the website to have money sent to me using the same debit card? Oops, on second glance I see where sender pays in cash at a WU location.

So if I go to a WU location, present my debit card and tell them how much I want, it's a lot cheaper than using the website to have money sent to me using the same debit card? Oops, on second glance I see where sender pays in cash at a WU location.
Perhaps you want to try this option...! keep us posted.

So if I go to a WU location, present my debit card and tell them how much I want, it's a lot cheaper than using the website to have money sent to me using the same debit card?

If it was actually possible to go to a WU location in Argentina, present your own US bank debit card and tell them how many dollars you want to transfer, the amount of pesos you would receive could be more than 30% less than if you initiated the transfer on line using the WU website in the USA (if the WU location was only able to give you the official rate in Argentina).

Oops, on second glance I see where sender pays in cash at a WU location.

As you apparently realize, if you are in Argentina you would have to have someone else take the cash to a WU location in the United States to send you the money. You would get the much higher rate, but a fee to make the transfer would still apply, whether you are picking up the funds in person or they are sending them to a bank account and it would not be a "lot cheaper" than using U website to make a transfer using your own debit card. The sender in the US could use their own debit card to make the transfer, but, obviously, they could not use yours.

Back