Western Union money transfer

I wonder if that was always that way, that WU gives the exchange rate as it was the day the transfer was initiated and not the day of pickup?
You receive a fixed quote in pesos and are paid based on that amount, regardless of how long it takes or when you decide to pick up the money. There are no changes to the quote after it is issued and accepted.

> The actual exchange rate and your total amount will be determined at the time of payout
Not in Argentina, I guess. Perhaps, at other locations, they transfer dollars and perform the currency conversion on the spot.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I checked to see how much WU was offering. I did this several times over two or three days. They sent me an email apologizing for problems with the system that included a special code for my next transfer without a fee. My transfer was completed the next day. That was the first time a transfer exceeded a million pesos. Glad that I don't pick up the transfer in cash.

Last edited:
You receive a fixed quote in pesos and are paid based on that amount, regardless of how long it takes or when you decide to pick up the money. There are no changes to the quote after it is issued and accepted.

> The actual exchange rate and your total amount will be determined at the time of payout
Not in Argentina, I guess. Perhaps, at other locations, they transfer dollars and perform the currency conversion on the spot.
This. It literally says right on the email how many pesos you will get. This doesn't change. It's FIXED and guaranteed at the time it's sent.

A few weeks ago I checked to see how much WU was offering. I did this several times over two or three days. They sent me an email apologizing for problems with the system that included a special code for my next transfer without a fee. My transfer was completed the next day. That was the first time a transfer exceeded a million pesos. Glad that I don't pick up the transfer in cash.
When you said, "glad I didn't pick up the transfer in cash". Do you mean it was just sent to your local bank account? I pick up those amounts all the time and never had any issues. 1,000,000 pesos sounds like a lot but it's only $1,350 US these days.. LOL.

On Friday I sent money for cash pickup, but as the WU branch I went did not have enough cash I had to wait until today. Exchange on Friday was 1 USD : 779 ARS. This morning it was 1:758 (20 ARS less per USD), but on payout they gave me 779 ARS 🥳. I wonder if that was always that way, that WU gives the exchange rate as it was the day the transfer was initiated and not the day of pickup?

Also the WU website states:
This. It literally says right on the email how many pesos you will get. This doesn't change. It's FIXED and guaranteed at the time it's sent.
That didn't happen for me, sent on Friday AM, and husband picked up after 3PM when they usually update their rates. Difference was 30K ARS. I was pissed to say the least.

I called them, they had no idea what I was talking about (woman's English wasn't that great, and I don't speak Tagalog) I kept trying to explain, but she kept saying it's due to taxes, and so I gave up, checked the Ts and Cs, doesn't say anything about it, just that footer on the page, and this is the first time it's happened to me. Could I do a charge back for the difference? Sure. But is it worth being banned from WU when they still pay higher than Florida Street? I don't think so. Lesson learned.

Like Jan I also sent a transfer online, took 4 days to deposit $50. I keep telling myself only a few more months that we have to deal with WU, and I can just use Wise or my debit cards from abroad when I have a large purchase I want to make...

When you said, "glad I didn't pick up the transfer in cash". Do you mean it was just sent to your local bank account? I pick up those amounts all the time and never had any issues. 1,000,000 pesos sounds like a lot but it's only $1,350 US these days.. LOL.
When I used Xoom and didn't have a local bank account, I was extremely watchful leaving MORE MONEY on Libertad near Santa Fe.

The recent transfer was three times what I usually transfer to myself.

We all hope you never have any issues.

"they had no idea what I was talking about (woman's English wasn't that great, and I don't speak Tagalog) I kept trying to explain, but she kept saying it's due to taxes, and so I gave up,"

They played you for a fool and took advantage of you. Once they hear a foreign accent, they proceed with a scam. I went to a Pago Facil in Recoleta for some cash and was charged 100 pesos for the transaction. Pago Facil NEVER charges for any transaction. I reported it immediately.

Last edited:
That didn't happen for me, sent on Friday AM, and husband picked up after 3PM when they usually update their rates. Difference was 30K ARS. I was pissed to say the least.

I called them, they had no idea what I was talking about (woman's English wasn't that great, and I don't speak Tagalog) I kept trying to explain, but she kept saying it's due to taxes, and so I gave up, checked the Ts and Cs, doesn't say anything about it, just that footer on the page, and this is the first time it's happened to me. Could I do a charge back for the difference? Sure. But is it worth being banned from WU when they still pay higher than Florida Street? I don't think so. Lesson learned.

Like Jan I also sent a transfer online, took 4 days to deposit $50. I keep telling myself only a few more months that we have to deal with WU, and I can just use Wise or my debit cards from abroad when I have a large purchase I want to make...
VERY strange. I've been sending money to various people for various things via Western Union for a long time including sending money to myself. Always get the # of pesos that is stated on the confirmation email. What does your confirmation email say to the person you sent the money to? Here is an example of one that I sent to myself in July. You can clearly see it shows you exactly how many pesos you will receive.

How many pesos does it say you'll get? All of mine always say exactly how many pesos I will pick up. And here is a Remitly payment directly to someone's bank account in Argentina. Same thing. It says exactly how much will be deposited and amount always matches up.

Western Union has much better rates but has a higher fee. Remitly's rate sucks but they only charge $2.99 fee to send the payment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-04 at 3.57.55 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-09-04 at 3.57.55 PM.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Remitely.jpg
    Remitely.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
When I used Xoom and didn't have a local bank account, I was extremely watchful leaving MORE MONEY on Libertad near Santa Fe.

The recent transfer was three times what I usually transfer to myself.

We all hope you never have any issues.

"they had no idea what I was talking about (woman's English wasn't that great, and I don't speak Tagalog) I kept trying to explain, but she kept saying it's due to taxes, and so I gave up,"

They played you for a fool and took advantage of you. Once they hear a foreign accent, they proceed with a scam. I went to a Pago Facil in Recoleta for some cash and was charged 100 pesos for the transaction. Pago Facil NEVER charges for any transaction. I reported it immediately.
Sorry, I should have been clearer, the they I was speaking about was Western Union's contact center, they're based in the Philippines.

VERY strange. I've been sending money to various people for various things via Western Union for a long time including sending money to myself. Always get the # of pesos that is stated on the confirmation email. What does your confirmation email say to the person you sent the money to? Here is an example of one that I sent to myself in July. You can clearly see it shows you exactly how many pesos you will receive.

How many pesos does it say you'll get? All of mine always say exactly how many pesos I will pick up. And here is a Remitly payment directly to someone's bank account in Argentina. Same thing. It says exactly how much will be deposited and amount always matches up.

Western Union has much better rates but has a higher fee. Remitly's rate sucks but they only charge $2.99 fee to send the payment.

I sent 1 million pesos, that's what the email says, and the receipt shows he only got $966,000. I'm going to email WU and complain about it, hopefully get a free code or something. I've been having problems with them this year, slow transfers, this, not being able to send to my husband's bank account directly (Galicia, worked previously, doesn't anymore, they say I enter his address wrong, I'm not, and nobody at WU can give me an answer why).

I'm just looking forward to using something like Wise once the brecha is gone, dollarization or otherwise, interactions with WU have gone from smooth to pulling teeth plus crazy fees.

Sorry, I should have been clearer, the they I was speaking about was Western Union's contact center, they're based in the Philippines.

I sent 1 million pesos, that's what the email says, and the receipt shows he only got $966,000. I'm going to email WU and complain about it, hopefully get a free code or something. I've been having problems with them this year, slow transfers, this, not being able to send to my husband's bank account directly (Galicia, worked previously, doesn't anymore, they say I enter his address wrong, I'm not, and nobody at WU can give me an answer why).

I'm just looking forward to using something like Wise once the brecha is gone, dollarization or otherwise, interactions with WU have gone from smooth to pulling teeth plus crazy fees.
Oh yeah they definitely scammed you out of $30 US equivalent it sounds like. Are you a Porteno or Gringo? A few of my gringo clients have told me they too when they got home thought some was missing. I think it's intimidating for a lot of people because if you're sending a large amount to yourself via Western Union and there are tons of people standing in line behind you, you don't want to make a scene and count it all.

They usually just put the money in the money counters in front of you and you can see all the money. But I've never actually counted it there. But I've never received less than the amount so ask them. Sounds strange. Keep us posted how it goes.

You got a zero-fee code by tricking WU into thinking you were having a technical glitch? We should explore this and figure out how to trigger it.

Could you provide more information about what you did, and how far into the process you clicked before exiting out?

Back