Western Union money transfer

i have been doing all my transfers from us bank to arg bank for years using my computer. after reading darksider415 post, i tried to install WU on my phone. it listed automaticly my location as argentina, and therefore i couldnt transfer from US only from argentina. i couldnt find a way to switch to us...help please!

p.s. i wanted to compare fees via app vrs. computer web site.

i tried to install WU on my phone. it listed automaticly my location as argentina, and therefore i couldnt transfer from US only from argentina. i couldnt find a way to switch to us...help please!

You need to get the app that is mentioned on the American website

Otherwise, you are getting the Argentine version, and it is a different application.

Not only different customers, but also just the difference between app and website can be massive as well. I've seen the site show me a $26.99 fee while logged in and the app show me $5.99 for the same amount
Were you able to login to the app with your same username and PW that you use at the WU website? I tried that and it acted like they didn't even know me. I would have had to create a new account.

I just got a free transfer. No code, it just gave it to me.

Either I'm a lucky winner, or something I did triggered it. The only thing I can think of that may have triggered it is that over the past week I have logged in a couple times to check prices for different sending amounts, and 2-3 weeks ago I logged in a couple times and clicked through the pages as if I was going through with a transfer, and then exited out.

Anybody who can provide more clues would be greatly appreciated.

1695934046707.png

I just got a free transfer. No code, it just gave it to me.

Either I'm a lucky winner, or something I did triggered it. The only thing I can think of that may have triggered it is that over the past week I have logged in a couple times to check prices for different sending amounts, and 2-3 weeks ago I logged in a couple times and clicked through the pages as if I was going through with a transfer, and then exited out.

Anybody who can provide more clues would be greatly appreciated.
Probably a retention method, i.e. they saw you backed out and they're trying to make you a client again by offering fee free transfers

Also folks, you might want to wait as there should be an even larger correction. WU tracks Rava's CCL's previous close more or less, and it's closed today at $819.07 while WU is still showing $783.55 which is a big difference if you're going to send several hundred dollars.

Probably a retention method, i.e. they saw you backed out and they're trying to make you a client again by offering fee free transfers

Also folks, you might want to wait as there should be an even larger correction. WU tracks Rava's CCL's previous close more or less, and it's closed today at $819.07 while WU is still showing $783.55 which is a big difference if you're going to send several hundred dollars.
I agree about the rate and wish I could wait, but unfortunately can't hold out any longer.

I've been using WU Canada with Revolut based on a comment you made ages ago and don't know if I ever thanked you for that tip. It's saved me a lot of money in transfer fees so I really appreciate you mentioning it. Thanks!

At least it's worked well until today. I struggled to get a transfer to go through and then tried a lower amount which worked. And then after tried to send more money and WU prompted me to provide more information about myself and the nature of the transfer. Then they requested docs verifying my identity and address. Since I know you're using WU Canada as well, have you been prompted to do this?

I'm not sure if this was just random or I went above a certain amount sent per year or if it's a new procedure or what. If you have any insight please let me know.

Blue dollar just broke 800
https://www.cronista.com/MercadosOnline/moneda.html?id=ARSB
is showing 797 / 803 although it often tends back downward a bit at the end of the day, as the gov't applies pressure

I went to my favorite cueva this morning to buy 100 USD and they charged me 820, but I wasn't that bothered. At this point another 2000 pesos is, meh, less than 2 medium cafe con leche at Cafe Martinez. The ARS is on its way toward becoming monopoly money

As a sidenote, it seems weird to me as an American, that you walk into a place like that, which handles so much cash, and there's not a single gun in sight. I would expect everyone who works there to be strapping a pistol at least, preferably with an AR in a handy rack. Or a shotgun.

Last edited:
Were you able to login to the app with your same username and PW that you use at the WU website? I tried that and it acted like they didn't even know me. I would have had to create a new account.
Same everything. I did do the registration and download before I left the U.S., though.

Back