Western Union money transfer

Just an FYI... yesterday when WU was 902.62, the exchange rate at Xoom was 905.0104. AND (at least for me), there was NO transaction fee.

FX: 1.00 USD = 902.6200 ARS
Western Union still holding

Blue came down to
USD 1.00 =
ARS_PA 954.69
Per CUEX

When will it become advantageous again ? We shall play the wait and see game.
Will WU rise above? Will Blue drop even more?
There is chatter about the devaluation, holding Pesos might end up being stocked up on TP
Hmmmm what is a Gringo to do?

FX: 1.00 USD = 902.6200 ARS
Western Union still holding

Blue came down to
USD 1.00 =
ARS_PA 954.69
Per CUEX

When will it become advantageous again ? We shall play the wait and see game.
Will WU rise above? Will Blue drop even more?
There is chatter about the devaluation, holding Pesos might end up being stocked up on TP
Hmmmm what is a Gringo to do?
Why not just use a visa credit card and ride with the MEP rate? Which is like 5-10% off the blue rate normally (and usually within 1-2% of WU when factoring in fees)?

...not to mention not be stuck holding pesos at a rate that may be devalued by 10-15-20% in a matter of days + not needing to waste time standing in line.

WU was a good method before the fees were insane and we had the option to use a foreign credit card at the MEP. I'm not sure why people keep using it now tbh but there is always a massive line... I'm happy to give up a few % points to not deal with it.

Why not just use a visa credit card and ride with the MEP rate? Which is like 5-10% off the blue rate normally (and usually within 1-2% of WU when factoring in fees)?

...not to mention not be stuck holding pesos at a rate that may be devalued by 10-15-20% in a matter of days + not needing to waste time standing in line.

WU was a good method before the fees were insane and we had the option to use a foreign credit card at the MEP. I'm not sure why people keep using it now tbh but there is always a massive line... I'm happy to give up a few % points to not deal with it.

Because Blue is 970 atm, and Dolar Tarjeta is 731

10-15% I can handle, sure, but that gap is more like 25%

I had to cancel the Visa because the bank that I had it through will not send verification codes to a foreign number. I am now seeing, for it happened at a Pharmacy yesterday, that AMEX is not accepted everywhere. Getting the rate when it is favorable to withdraw / receive funds is nice. There is always something to pay off when I can get the timing done right. When it is not and I need pesos I just bite the bullet.

Back