Western Union money transfer

these fees are for bank deposits ...... cash pickup is considerably more ...... I transferred $600 for cash pick-up and the fee was $37.99
That¨is just one reason you'll never see me agree with the statement. "Argentine banks. suck."

Another reason is that I never have to leave my house to have acess to the funds or wait in line at eithr WU or the bank or "carry around large bags of cash to buy a coffee."

PS: To get the small amount of cash I need each month (less than $20K pesos) all I have to do is walk up to an attendant at a YPF station in Punta Alta and ask to "retire" the funds. The cost of the transaction is eleven centavos and no purchase is required. I do no have to wait in line in my car as if I was buying gas (which I do only about once every three or four months).

I have not set foot in a WU agency in Bahia Blanca or my bank (also in Bahia Blanca) in almost four years. That was when I received my first three transfers which were sent by my sister-in-law while I was setting up my account with WU to make the bank to bank transfers and make most of my monthly purchases and pay bills on line from the comfort of my house and property (which I usually do not have to leave more than once a week to drive or walk to the nearest tiendas, just over 1 KM from my "semi-rural" location.

Last edited:
Reminds me of all those videos in YT about lonely men living in a cabin, off the grid, surrounded by beautiful trees and nature. I wouldn't mind living that life at all. In fact would love been on your shoes Steve. Thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of all those videos in YT about lonely men living in a cabin, off the grid, surrounded by beautiful trees and nature. I wouldn't mind living that life at all. In fact would love been on your shoes Steve. Thanks for sharing.
My comments were meant to explain how simple and effiicent using Western Union is, especially with an Argentine bank account, even outside of Capital Federal, as well as enlighten those who have indicated that (in their opinions) Argentine banks "suck" and Western Union is "no longer (a) viable" way of getting funds into Argentina.

I am not sure how you got the idea that I am lonely (like the men you have seen on you tube) or that I live in a cabin off the grid. but you can see my three bedroom chalet here:

Country Life In Argentina: What's It Really Like?

My property is actually twice as close to the city center of Punta Alta than the nearest "country club" in the area (Pago Chico).

PS: If you have any additional assumptons, comments or unanswered questions about my lifestyle, location, or emotional state, please post them in the above thread where I will be happy to address them. 🤠

Last edited:
WU at 927 still
Blue down, OMG, to 950.
Will WU rise and surpass?
Stay tuned,
Same ExPats chat,
Same Country of Destination. :)

Was just doing a little calculating. The WU rate is 927 so if you send yourself $1000 USD you get 927,000 Pesos. Divide that by the current official exchange rate on XE and you're getting $2649 and change USD worth of Pesos. Would I gladly pay a fee to WU to get that many Pesos? You bet! And I would get by at the current rates for a month on $400 USD. Put the rest of my pension on bills back in the States and into savings.

Was just doing a little calculating. The WU rate is 927 so if you send yourself $1000 USD you get 927,000 Pesos. Divide that by the current official exchange rate on XE and you're getting $2649 and change USD worth of Pesos.
If this is actually possible and not just wishful thinking, please explain how.

Not today you won't. When you go to convert the 927,00 pesos to dollars you are assuming the cost per dollar is the 'official rate'. No it isn't. The official rate amounts to a bookkeeping entry....and nothing else.

Back