Western Union money transfer

Most traditional cuevas (the fake WU kinds that can somehow send but not receive) often operate with crypto. I'd ask around. As @grosso95 said, there probably is one 5 minutes away from you! With a DNI opening an account on a local exchange is an option as well to deposit pesos into either a bank or a prepaid card (less than 5 steps away).
Went to the Xchange office next door on Santa Fe Ave. and was informed they handle Crypto and also transfers. Must give it a try.

Any Xp with Moneygram latest rates $794 ars per 1 US ?
WU rate seems $858...??
Monday banks closed..!

Last edited:
For a while I was using Moneygram because better exchange rate and no fee with code, but then I saw that WU went back to having the better exchange rate (currently 853 vs 805 from MG) and there was no fee when paying with my debit card. After making a couple of transfers over the last couple of weeks they're charging a $16 (US) fee.

Anyone know of any current functioning promo codes? Coupert's giving me nothing.

::I should take this as incentive to start doing stable coin crypto x-fers::

For a while I was using Moneygram because better exchange rate and no fee with code, but then I saw that WU went back to having the better exchange rate (currently 853 vs 805 from MG) and there was no fee when paying with my debit card. After making a couple of transfers over the last couple of weeks they're charging a $16 (US) fee.

Anyone know of any current functioning promo codes? Coupert's giving me nothing.

::I should take this as incentive to start doing stable coin crypto x-fers::

If you find or hear of a promo code please let me know, and vice versa I'll let you know if I hear of anything.

Not sure why, but the fees are even worse sending directly to a bank account vs. cash pickup. For example, sending $250 USD for cash pickup is currently a $9.99 fee if funding from a bank account, but the fee to transfer the same amount to an Argentine bank account is $17.99. Seems backwards to me that the fee for going to a physical location and being served a backpack full of pesos by a human being is lesser than the fee for a fully electronic transaction.

What makes it worse is that Western Union has also paused earning any points via its reward program. Previously, I'd earn myself enough points for a fee discount after every few transactions, but the rewards program's been "paused" for the last several transfers I've made.

I think my past couple of transfers were without a fee (w/o needing a code) because I hadn't used WU in a while, but after those first couple they're back to assessing fees. For me from my US bank it's $15.99 no matter if I pick up in cash or deposit in an account. Moneygram was working for me for while with their higher exchange rate and code for no fees, but for whatever reason they've dropped their exchange rate.

Well, looks like Visa is likely a better deal for some of us depending on what fees WU charges you:

Visa:

Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 00.23.48.png

WU:
Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 00.24.01.png

Well, looks like Visa is likely a better deal for some of us depending on what fees WU charges you:

Visa seems to often take a few days to catch up, so especially for large purchases it can sometimes be better to avoid Visa or wait for another day when the rates are more closely aligned. My latest credit card statement hasn't generated yet, but looking at last month's statement, Visa was at 690 for a small transaction on October 2nd, when WU was at 822. I recently bought a 4K TV for 219.999 pesos using my Visa card (thankfully on a different day when the WU and Visa rates were more closely aligned), but had it been on October 2nd, the difference between a 690 exchange rate and a 822 exchange rate is about $50 USD, which isn't insignificant.

Back on October 12th, I transferred 400.000 pesos to myself via WU when the rate was at 927. I had a gut feeling the rate was going to drop again after the general election, which it did (Visa went back down to the high 700s for a bit - I used my Visa on Mercado Libre two weeks later on October 28th and the rate was 786). So for the past few weeks, the cash I pulled out from Western Union almost a month ago at 927 has been paying for nearly everything and saving me quite a bit over Visa.

Back