What are the best job options to make enough money to stay in BA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montana

Registered
Hi all! My name is Sarah. I am 27 yrs old will be coming to BA this upcoming Wednesday the 10th. I'll be getting off the plane not knowing a soul when I arrive. I'm a bit nervous, but mostly excited for the adventure of it all. I have two main questions:
1) I would love to make some great friends...I'll be staying near downtown Buenos Aires at a Hostel my first week. If you're in that area, I'd love to meetup with you! Some things I love doing are trying all the different restaurants and ethnic cuisines, dancing, and horseriding.
2) I am mainly coming to BA to see 1st hand what the job market is like. I would love to be able to afford to stay awhile and experience more of South America. Right now I only have a certain amount of savings and when it runs dry, I'll have to go home. My goal is to get a job in the Hospitality Industry and parlay my 5+ years of Property Management experience into this industry instead. Either that, or work for an American Company making US Dollars...
How possible / realistic is this would you say? Any connections or advice for me?
I truly appreciate your help! My email is [email protected]
Sarah

Well, it is very unlikely to find a job that pays in US dollars at a US wage (however, anything is possible). If you speak fluent spanish, your experience in Property Management might serve you well. If all else fails, open your own business. Anyway, i'm not an expert and regardless of what anyone says - the best way to find out is doing. Suerte!

"Hi all! My name is Sarah. I am 27 yrs old will be coming to BA this upcoming Wednesday the 10th. I'll be getting off the plane not knowing a soul when I arrive. I'm a bit nervous, but mostly excited for the adventure of it all. I have two main questions:"
and
"How possible / realistic is this would you say? Any connections or advice for me?"
it amazes me how we see posts like this more and more. Quite honestly Sarah its a bit late to ask us what we think as you are almost in the air.
Why do people take such risks? Why dont you do your research and networking BEFORE you decide to take the big step of crossing the world to a place where you have no connections no apartment and no job? That's not adventure, that's stupidity. and let me say I have travelled all over the globe and been very "adventurous" desert, remote jungle, but that does not entail being irresponsible.
I am sorry for being so tough on this but I get sick to death of hearing people that arrive in Agentina wingeing about how they cant pay their rent or cant earn enough teaching .........................wait for it............. ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE!
So many people think that Argentina is the place to go to bum around on 20cents. Well that is not the case as many of us here can testify. Argentina is pretty comfortable if you have an executive position or have a good income from oversea's . But if one is looking to arrive here to earn megga bucks locally and live the life of riley its just not going to happen. I think you would probably need to be taking home clear at least US$2,500 to live reasonably O.K.
I think its unlikely you are going to get a job locally that pays you in excess of 7000 pesos. I could be completely out of sync here chaps, so any comments will be useful. I know I could not live with less than that if I was living alone.
I have no advice except make sure you have aflexible return air ticket and next time be more responsible!

As much as it hurts, Sarah, I agree with auntiapple. Some research or delaying your visit mayne a good idea. Don´t close an open door just to see if you can open another. Maybe you can just take a vacation to BA and see what you find and how it suits you.
We all want to come here or there and make friends, find a job, an appartment, a gym and have a normal life, but it might take some time, time costs money and overcoming or walking through so many needs can be rocky.

I was an expat in the States and lived there for 5 years. Even been an argentine, when I moved back was an awful experience. I don´t desire that to anyone. Nobody doubts of your energy and strength but this is like training for a marathon, you train until you´re ready to run.

Flavia

Yeah, yeah, fountains of parental wisdom. Don't act on your impulses, always make rational decisions.

She said she is coming here to INVESTIGATE the job market. What's wrong with that?
Is somebody running a special on "one-way return back home" tickets?

Thanks Henry. I think AuntieApple is being extremely harsh here. How can you make connections if you are NOT PHYSICALLY there? I ve been writing on and off to some places for the past 4 months and doing loads of research and unless I should blame the postal services there, it is pretty tough going. Who would hire anyone not having seen them? I simply cannot believe that a metropolis like BA does not have any job opportunities for expats. London has less inhabitants and there is always something you can do there. Of course the unemployment rate is not as high as in BA but still, life is what you make of it. Teaching English is obviously not anyone s top of the list employment activity but you need to have a plan B for everything in life. I m coming over, with my dog and I certainly do not see myself as being irresponsible or stupid. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and it it all fails, you can still go home.

If you need 7000 pesos to live reasonably ok, than you must have a very high standard.

"auntieapple" said:
"Hi all! My name is Sarah. I am 27 yrs old will be coming to BA this upcoming Wednesday the 10th. I'll be getting off the plane not knowing a soul when I arrive. I'm a bit nervous, but mostly excited for the adventure of it all. I have two main questions:"

and
"How possible / realistic is this would you say? Any connections or advice for me?"
it amazes me how we see posts like this more and more. Quite honestly Sarah its a bit late to ask us what we think as you are almost in the air.
Why do people take such risks? Why dont you do your research and networking BEFORE you decide to take the big step of crossing the world to a place where you have no connections no apartment and no job? That's not adventure, that's stupidity. and let me say I have travelled all over the globe and been very "adventurous" desert, remote jungle, but that does not entail being irresponsible.
I am sorry for being so tough on this but I get sick to death of hearing people that arrive in Agentina wingeing about how they cant pay their rent or cant earn enough teaching .........................wait for it............. ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE!
So many people think that Argentina is the place to go to bum around on 20cents. Well that is not the case as many of us here can testify. Argentina is pretty comfortable if you have an executive position or have a good income from oversea's . But if one is looking to arrive here to earn megga bucks locally and live the life of riley its just not going to happen. I think you would probably need to be taking home clear at least US$2,500 to live reasonably O.K.
I think its unlikely you are going to get a job locally that pays you in excess of 7000 pesos. I could be completely out of sync here chaps, so any comments will be useful. I know I could not live with less than that if I was living alone.
I have no advice except make sure you have aflexible return air ticket and next time be more responsible!

Dear Auntieapple,
I just wanted to write back to say thank you for your comment. I appreciate that you took the time to offer me your opinion...and although a bit harsh yes...I agree with you on many of the things you wrote. It's always better when you're prepared, and yet, when is the preparation ever enough? Nothing can substitute real life experience and being there. But, regardless of what happens, live and learn right? I lived like a local in China for awhile, and I imagine Buenos Aires to be much nicer than what I've experienced in some other places around the world. But you're right, it certainly won't be a cake-walk.
Sincerely,
Sarah

I agree with you Drucifer: 7000 pesos is a lot of money anywhere. I lived and worked in Germany and I didnt even have that kind of money there. AuntieApple must be leading a very luxurious lifestyle indeed. I also think it is brave of Montana to make this step and in no event should anyone criticise her for being stupid or irresponsible. I am a bit sick of people criticising each other in this forum and I really think it should stop right now. No one can judge another person they haven t even met so what gives you the right, AuntieApple to do so? Think about it. Perhaps you had an easy ride coming over here because you are "funded" by a boyfriend or husband and I have more respect for people who are taking the plunge themselves!

7000 is just insane, that right there is just Auntieapple trying to display somehow what a rich and therefor great person she is, good job Auntieapple you're just simply put excellent!.I would be able to get by on 1500 pesos there per month, it certainly wouldn't be a whole lot of fun but doing so wouldn't be too dificult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back