What book are you currently reading?

Has anyone explored the feasibility of using an E-reader? Either Nook (Barnes & Noble one) or Kindle? (new Kindle coming out this summer).

Wondering if the same accessability down there?

Also, guy at Barnes and Noble told me that if 2 people have a Nook they can "share" books for a limited time period like 2 weeks or something. Also can read books in-store for free. (Yes, I am leaning towards getting a Nook, smaller too)

Just curious.

Oh, and I just finished "Havanna Nocturne" about the mob, the Revolution, and gambling in Cuba. It was ok. A few interesting tidbits, but I did not feel it was researched well enough.

Just started: "Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition". Yes, there is some sort of reverse organized crime theme...

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. What a great book!! Couldn't put it down and am sad that I finished it...

William Shirer's Berlin Diary: The Journal of a Foreign Correspondent - 1939-1941. A good picture of everyday life in Germany during the war.

Just finished 'the reader' (Bernard Schlink), now I am reading

'Dientes de Leche' (Ignacio Martinez de Pison) and 'The history of Argentina' Daniel K. Lewis

by Paul Theroux...He`s a must for cutting through the pretension of most "world travellers" who either patronise, hate or adore the natives. A must for any expat who thinks they know anything at all. His take on Argentina was, for me, spot on..this guy had lunch with Borges for Christ`s sake...see The old Patagonoian Express for more details!...

I am currently reading EL ULTIMO CONFÍN DE LA TIERRA, by E. LUCAS BRIDGES. He was the son of the first settler of Tierra del Fuego. The prose is not exquisite but the content is really interesting. It gives a nice account of what it was like to start from scratch in a completely inhospitable place.

That's a charming book. It was out of print for many years, but now it is out again.

fifs2 said:
[...My Other Life...] by Paul Theroux...He`s a must for cutting through the pretension of most "world travellers" who either patronise, hate or adore the natives. A must for any expat who thinks they know anything at all. His take on Argentina was, for me, spot on..this guy had lunch with Borges for Christ`s sake...see The old Patagonoian Express for more details!...

My Other Life is, of course, one of Theroux's novels, written in the style of an autobiography. I also enjoyed Chicago Loop and The Mosquito Coast. I used to lap up his travel writing until I read The Happy Isles Of Oceania and I haven't read anything else of his since. In tHIoO I felt that he packed so much of his own emotional baggage into that wretched sea canoe that he became a miserable and uninspiring companion on the voyage he invited his readers to take. While all his previous travel writing (I clearly can't comment on anything since) is obviously personal, the scenes and encounters are the richer for this while in tHIoO I feel the journey is diminished by his emotional state.

The Happy Isles Of Oceana has a unique place in the library of elhombresinnombre: it isn't there. Normally very jealous of my books, I only lend them to people I completely trust to return them. Sometimes people let me down (I've had to buy three copies of Len Deighton's Bomber, for instance) but I knew this particular person was never going to return tHIoO and I lent it anyway and I was right.

Back