What do you like here in BA?

Some great stuff in this thread.

I really need to get a bike... have a morbid fear of being squashed that I need to get over.

jp said:
Some great stuff in this thread.

I really need to get a bike... have a morbid fear of being squashed that I need to get over.

Move to Nunez and ride sin miedo.

syngirl said:
...there's a typical path that most Expats go down, and they either come out the other side embracing their new country and staying on, or returning home disgruntled with their whole experience...

I personally am so happy to own a bike here...

...If there's some obscure hobby you'd like to pick up, I bet you anything there is a class for it here...

It's just like quality food here -- it all exists, it's just a matter of you going out and finding it. You can't be lazy in a city like BA -- things do not come easily here, you have to go out and find them
This is one of the best posts that I have EVERY SEEN!!!

In addition to just clicking "Thanks", I wanted to personally tell you that you rock.

syngirl said:
We're also planning on finally getting our sailing licenses this summer -- it's only a few hundred pesos to do the courses.

I'm definitely interested in this. Where? When? How long does it take? & What does this allow you to do afterwards? A couple of more details please. Thanks.

syngirl said:
We went to the Japanese Associacion's restaurant (Nikkei) on weds night, the fish was very fresh, very good, we got a huge combinado platter, a few asahi beers, along with miso and an amuse bouche for 65 pesos a head.

I went to a puerta cerrado last night called ¿Donde me trajiste? (You can look them up on blogspot.com.) We had an appetizer of pure de garbanzo & pure de berenjenas (humus & babaganoosh) served on homemade bread with some chopped tomatoes & a bit of basil for starters. Then they brought us a plate of kind of like a gran torta/tortilla de papa, some rice with corn & maybe pineapple and then a salad. And finally, the dessert was a crepe (more crepe than "panqueque") with cooked apples on the inside and a kind of creme freche/whipped cream on the side. (The menu changes every night, the night before was a lasagna, so check for details.)

This was about AR$35, but then we had live music come into our dinner room TWICE. The first time two guys came in and played some folkloric music and and spruced up "Por Una Cabeza" on a couple of guitars. And the second act was a woman with a beautiful voice who was accompanied by a guitarist as she sang songs in English, French, Portuguese, and even Spanish.

(The wine was kicking in at this point and my heart has been a little softer than normal recently, so it was pretty easy to open up to her songs. :eek:)

Adding the wine (a few bottles), the gaseosas, & the tip, it was about AR$70 for the 3 plus hours that we enjoyed. And a few of the musicians and the female singer played a few songs in the patio area at the end as people were paying and leaving. A true bohemian feel of musicians enjoying each other's company.

This gathering of musicians coming together to sing, play guitars, and enjoy each other's company was repeated about 2 1/2 hours later at La Catedral at closing time there.

Truly a great night that would be difficult to reproduce in nearly any other town in the world.

Me encanta...

Reactions: ssr
Wow, thank you syngirl and Ries for the long and very informative posts. I'm going to develop some carpal tunnel now with all of the Googling and other sniffing about on the internet I'm going to do. And I certainly have a full weekend ahead.

I'm going to add one little contribution myself here because I'm sort of surprised it hasn't come up and is one of the cooler places that I've found here in Buenos Aires: El Gato Viejo down in Retiro. Wacky damn place with good music and I had a pretty fantastic sandwich there, too.

And I'll just throw this out there in case anyone might have some info: I tend to avoid the mostly terrible nightclubs back home and head, instead, to warehouse (or whatever space they happen to be in) parties thrown by creative folks who generally know how to throw a pretty damn good party (not always, though; sometimes they are epic failures but, hey, they try). Does that same sort of scene exist down here? I've been to loads of bars and nightclubs and such down here and, you know, eh, they serve their purpose, but are there some folks who choose instead to entertain themselves with some crazy cool parties? There, maybe, some Burners hanging around down here?

The trashmission parties are great.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRASHMISSION/37430161233

Warehouse stuff isn't that common. The fire in Once took the wind out of the sails, and things are run a lot tighter now, and people are a lot less tolerant. Understandably.

Still some good stuff about if you keep your ear to the ground.

jp said:
The trashmission parties are great.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRASHMISSION/37430161233

Warehouse stuff isn't that common. The fire in Once took the wind out of the sails, and things are run a lot tighter now, and people are a lot less tolerant. Understandably.

Still some good stuff about if you keep your ear to the ground.

Cool, thanks for the link, jp. And do you mean the Cromañón fire? Pretty damn tragic, that.

I think you pretty much do here what you do in any big city. I like that there are so many barrios each with a different flavor. BA is not as ethnically diverse as some cities but there are fabulous music clubs and art small art galleries. Personally, I am taking painting classes which gives me a base for communicating in language (not a spanish speaker ) and ideas. I could spend days just taking pictures of small details on buildings. You know that saying "wherever you go, there you are"! To be bored in BA, not a chance!

ssr said:
Hey all,

I've been here in Buenos Aires for a while and, frankly, I'm not particularly thrilled by the city. My girlfriend needs to be here and and it's cheap to live here and I can work remotely so, eh, I stick around. But the bland sameness of everything here in BA is really beginning to get to me.

So, what excites you here in BA? I'd particularly like to hear from people from other big cities (I'm from New York myself). If you've got plenty of options but have chosen to live here in Buenos Aires, I'd like to know why.

Also, I haven't spent very much time at all in Gran Buenos Aires. There has to be some cool stuff outside of Capital Federal, no?

I'm looking for the strongest possible recommendations. And it doesn't have to be crazy expensive stuff. Just entertaining or cool or delicious or whatever. Just want to hear what you really like about this place.

Thanks a bunch,

ssr

SSR, you posted this a few months ago, I'm guessing by now you have found some things you like here, or may be planning a return home. Could you make a post now?

Thanks

When I arrive and see the dog Crap, broken pavements (sidewalks) and Graffiti and I wonder, why am I here?
Then I buy a toy box and carry it through the streets, and get all the comments from the locals, like ?esta Muerta? go to a local milonga and get greeted like a long lost son, even the waitress comes and kisses me, my freinds come and kiss and hug me everywhere I go and I know then that this is a special place.

Back