What do you like here in BA?

i am anglo-argentine so get the best of both worlds, in that i can hang out with british or american friends and be as foreign as the next person, then the following day be taken to cool and off the beaten track places and events by my argie friends and be una porteña más as i speak fluent argie spanish and don't look like a tourist.

two notable recommendations to get a feel of a traditional argentine night is to do the 'bar de roberto' http://www.barderoberto.com.ar/and when that closes walk the short distance half a block away to 'el conventillo de teodoro' http://11870.com/pro/conventillo-teodoro/map. both highly recommended, both serving drink and the latter empanadas and finger food, where old cronies get up and do impromptu jams of milongas well into the morning hours. i've left there at 8am before and things were still rolling.

this is abasto incidentally, so you don't have to go beyond the panamericana for something fun, cheap and very much off the tourist circuit. both have got a nice mixed crowd which is an added bonus, lots of 20 somethings but the porteño old timers frequent these places too.

Reactions: ssr
gouchobob said:
SSR, you posted this a few months ago, I'm guessing by now you have found some things you like here, or may be planning a return home. Could you make a post now?

Thanks

Sure. Still stuck here with the girlfriend and while my opinion of Buenos Aires hasn't changed all that much I do have a higher opinion of Argentina now that I've seen a bit more of it. Here in BA, I did manage to get out to many of the places recommended on this thread and there were definitely a few highlights. I certainly appreciate all the posts and if anyone has anything new and cool to share, please do.

On the whole, however, I remain unimpressed by Buenos Aires. There's just not much that's remarkable here. Strip away what's been copied or imported from elsewhere and, apart from tango, you're not left with much. The lack of originality here is mind-numbing. Apart from a few highlights here and there, this city is mostly crap.

I'd put it this way: if a well-traveled friend from back in New York asked me for some advice about a trip to Argentina, I'd recommend that they do one solid week in Buenos Aires, maybe two at the most, and then move on. Unless someone really adores tango, there is really only a week or two of unique, quality stuff to be found here (restuarants, museums, clubs and bars, quirky little places, whatever) and, after that, things start to get old fast.

Argentina is beautiful, though. El Calafate and Iguazu are must-see places. The north (Salta, Tucuman, Jujuy and the little towns and ruins around) is great. Mendoza and Cordoba are certainly worth a visit. And, in general, food (Argentine food, that is) gets better and people get friendlier the further one is from BA.

I'll add a couple of recommendations to the thread, though:

- The new Benihana is pretty damn good and worth a visit, particularly if you, or someone you know, has never been to a teppanyaki joint

- Gran Bar Danzon has some excellent cocktails

Again, any recommendations would be much appreciated. But, please, only the strongest possible recommendations. Say, what you'd recommend to a friend flying in from London, New York or Paris who you know is very difficult to impress and is short on time. Doesn't have to be something stupid expensive, just worth whatever it happens to cost and a busy person's time. Thanks!

I like :

Summer in wintertime.
The Argentine open mindedness and eagerness to communicate.
The bohemian atmosphere pretty much everywhere.
The feeling of wrapping back in time.
The need to learn another language.
The way people listen to my accent.
The parks everywhere, rather by day than by night :p
The mess!
The history in the architecture.
Cops tolerance to driving infractions.
Being able to drive a few kilometers away from the town and discover almost virgin lands.
(Almost) free public transportation.

But...i wouldnt stay in wintertime. Buenos Aires, like spanish towns, is to be consumed...hot and by night.

What's original in NY?

There are some nice clubs and bars outside capital, but most expats are scared to go outside of the capital

Napoleon said:
reading a sign that says "La Ciudad Trabaja" right behind 5 city workers talking as 1 city worker actually does anything

They call shovel workers here 'ñoquis' like the pasta. Also the reason that Argentines eat ñoquis on the 29th of the month is because that is when the ñoquis get their paycheck = )

I am a former NY'er myself (although of the B+T variety) What do I love about this city? I love that I can wake up at 10 and that is acceptable here. I love that even though this is a huge city, there is a bigger country waiting if you want to get away for a bit. I love all the parks. I love the culture here. I love the accent. I love humita. I love the nightlife. Ssr, I hope you are able to find your place in Buenos Aires, and you can find the ways that this city can make you happy.

Futboljunkie said:
What's original in NY?

Nothing, dude. It's a terrible place. Don't go there, you'd hate it.

Futboljunkie said:
There are some nice clubs and bars outside capital, but most expats are scared to go outside of the capital

Say some expat managed to conquer his fear of leaving the capital, what clubs should he go to?

Thanks, champ.

I go to the gym during the week and Chacabuco park at the weekend for a swim (weather permitting). I eat out around San Telmo, Monsserrat and San Nicolas. I did go to Palermo for Valentine's Day with the girlfriend and found it very nice, but hardly ever go there as it takes ages on the bus.

I live in Boedo and everyone here is always going on about how great it is, but I find it dull as dishwater, especially at night.

flippinkittin said:
They call shovel workers here 'ñoquis' like the pasta. Also the reason that Argentines eat ñoquis on the 29th of the month is because that is when the ñoquis get their paycheck = )

Very interesting.

Porteños believe that to have good luck you must eat "ñoquis" on the 29th. of the month.

The phantom government employees who only show up for work on the 29th. of the month to collect their paychecks are called "ñoquis".

Back