What do you like?

va2ba

Registered
I see so many posts and so many people complaining about Buenos Aires, Argentina, the government, and life in general so I thought I would turn it around for a minute.

What do you actually like about Buenos Aires and Argentina?

the climate,the watering holes,playing tennis without rain,style of family life,asado and so many places to visit.....you won,t hear me complain about Argentina

This is a dangerous topic. I once tried to make a post to encourage people to be a little more positive about their outlook and I got a lot of people complaining. Sure there are bad things, but it's important to remember the good things too so you don't get too depressed... :)

I like the weather (mainly the fact that it never snows like back home in Buffalo, NY).

I like the wine. I never used to drink wine, but Argentina turned me into a wine drinker.

I like the public transportation. (I know nobody says that!) I just like the fact that for a little more than a peso I can get from one end of the city to the other.

After not eating them for a while, I recently rediscovered that I do like empanadas.

I like how polite people are when they see you carrying a baby. They let me go ahead in line at the supermarket. I get doors opened for me. I always get a seat on the bus and the subway. I even had a guy in my building help me carry my laundry to the elevator.

I like that even if you don't have any money to do anything, there are still a lot of cultural events that are free or really cheap.

I like the architecture. If you really look around there are some really neat buildings here. (although I would like to see a bigger effort to have them maintained, but I suppose this is supposed to be a post about good things.)

I like coming home to a quiet apartment after a loud day in the city.

I like the different types of people you can find here from all over. Since I've been here I have meet people from Brazil, Turkey, Germany, Russia, England, Australia, Haiti, Chile, Venezuela, Colombia, Paraguay.... and the list goes on. I have learned so many things about so many different cultures from living here, not just the Argentine culture. It's been educational.

I don't know what else to say, I could go on for a while. But yes, it's good to remember why we decided to stay here in the first place.

Mate.
Fernet and Coke.
Mate.
Rúcula and radicheta.
Mate.
Once you break the ice, far fewer assholes than in the US.
Mate.
Hecho en Buenos Aires (the magazine).
Mate.
There isn't rancid elitism and racism (unlike those other Latin American countries).
Mate.
There's a middle class (unlike those other Latin American countries).
Did I mention mate?
Gay marriage.
La ley de medios (don't know what the deal is on that though).

A really great city for walking.

I like the fresh vegetable vendors on the streets (don't get much of that in LA).

I agree with the architecture comment.

Sometimes I marvel at how they were able to construct such a complicated, but ultimately quite efficient, bus system with all the one-way streets.

On the whole, quite friendly and chatty people, I find.

I'm jumping on the boat of it's nice not to have a thread filled up with complaints.

That I don't need a car, play soccer with friends, I can go out 3,4 times a week, genarally safe, higher quality of living if you actually can spend. I am not a big fan of the food here, but do know some place I like. Going to almost every River game. Climate, less rain

OK so I've said it more than once but I think it is okay and not surprising that the forum is full of complaints... its hard being a foreigner and its hard not being able to complain (Argentines are naturally defensive of their country, as we all are of our home countries). The forum is a nice outlet. THAT being said... I agree a little more positivity is needed.

I love... the wine, asados, the dogs (my dog adopted from the street is the best dog I've had in my life... in terms of intelligence, behavior, and health), the architecture...esp when its overcast, and the more relaxed rules (life is so regimented in the US)

Alilou said:
OK so I've said it more than once but I think it is okay and not surprising that the forum is full of complaints... its hard being a foreigner and its hard not being able to complain (Argentines are naturally defensive of their country, as we all are of our home countries). The forum is a nice outlet. THAT being said... I agree a little more positivity is needed.

We locals love to complain about Argentina, but don't like anyone else doing it. It is probably the same all over the world.

Back