What do you like?

Must confess I don't like mate, although mate cocido con leche is good on cold winter mornings.

AlexfromLA said:
Volta is pretty good too. I usually order from the one on Coronel Diaz. The problem with them is they close early, like 11 pm I think.

Volta on libertador is open late.

amymiranda said:
-FUTBOL!!! i do wish girls were allowed to play more here, but it's always hilarious watching the boys i do play with realize that i'm better than half of them :)

Join a male (expat) team then

I love mate and the whole ceremony surrounding it.

going to the park and drinking mate with pepas.

asado

a rainy day is a perfectly good excuse to stay in and watch a movie in bed (and spoon if a spooning partner is available!).

the kisses as a greeting

the coast

renting a cabaña in the middle of the countryside

I love/hate the buses

delivery!

You can ask people on the street for directions and they'll strike up a conversation

Truco is a bit like poker, based on bluffing - it's wildly exciting and there are many jokes, rhymes , sayings and traditions associated to it. Instead of poker chips we use dried beans.

It is played with the "other" kind of cards, called Españolas here - don't know the English name for them. You can signal your cards to your partner using a very strict set of signals like winking one eye or tugging at one ear - the trick is to disguise them in such a way that only your partner notices them.

People will go to great lengths to disguise their signals, and that leads to a lot of kidding and laughing around the truco table. It's a fun game.

Oh by the way, the best ice cream is neither Persicco, nor Volta, nor Freddo (ugh, definitely not Freddo)

My test for ice cream is always the coco flavour.... whether it's totally faked, or if it has real coco in it.

The best ice cream is almost always your neighbourhood "mom and pop" store... in Las Can there's Vizzio -- REAL coco... yum big flakes of it.

There's also the upscale Veikko, that has some really yummy flavours but you pay through the nose for it -- 15 pesos for a cone or something ridiculous! But their flavours are so good -- for chocolate lovers the Fondant is to die for...

Back