What does Kirchner winning the Primaries mean to you...

A somewhat very critical thing...

The government has little to do with inflation. They do not have final say on how much money is printed. The central bank, like the fed, the uk and everywhere is privately owned and this is what the government answers to.

If you blame the government for this while at the same time not making effort to use other forms of trade that avoid the use of the fiat currency then you are a hypocrite without knowing it.

jago25_98 said:

The government has little to do with inflation. They do not have final say on how much money is printed. The central bank, like the fed, the uk and everywhere is privately owned and this is what the government answers to.

If you blame the government for this while at the same time not making effort to use other forms of trade that avoid the use of the fiat currency then you are a hypocrite without knowing it.

Central banks are privately owned and the government has nothing to do with inflation? When did the flying saucers land?

Cristina can lose about 35% of her votes and still get reelected so it's basically done. The only way the oposition can archive anything if there is going to be only 2 slates(Alfonsin - Rodriguez Saa and Binner - Carrio) but that ain't going to happen

I expect:

More importrestrictions
Pensioneers keep getting robbed
Rents wil be fixed
Inflation will continue to be in the 20-30% range to finance social spending
Dollar will reach 5,50 before 2013
Cristina will go closer to Chavez to secure oil imports

And right now there is about nothing else that she can do get extra funds

jago25_98 said:

you obviously missed last years incident when the government deposed the governor of the central bank when he refused to release reserves so that they could pay off part of the debt..

Philsword said:
Central banks are privately owned and the government has nothing to do with inflation? When did the flying saucers land?

Perhaps "privately-owned" isn't the best way to describe central banks. But most central banks have a lot of freedom to do as they please, which in a way makes them about as "federal as Federal Express," as some have said. If the U.S. Federal Reserve were truly a U.S. "federal" institution, its decisions would have to be scrutinized by the branches of government -- you know, that whole "checks and balances" thing taught in a 9th grade civics class. Well, such checks and balances do not apply to the Fed, which has loaned out $16 trillion to banks around the world without any transparency whatsoever...until it was forced to be transparent by the U.S. Congress. (A US Senator asked Bernanke to tell him which banks they loaned money to, and Bernanke said, "No." The video is 2 years prior to the report recently released.) While the people who run the Fed may be appointed by the President, the Fed's business is largely its own. That was the point of establishing the bank, but I think some rightly question whether or not such an institution should be permitted to operate in a constitutional republic.

In the case of Argentina, CFK exercises quite a bit of control over the Central Bank, it seems. Martin Redrado is the former president of the Central Bank. He was fired for not endorsing CFK's policy to use foreign exchange reserves to pay for debts/spending.

bradlyhale said:
Perhaps "privately-owned" isn't the best way to describe central banks. But most central banks have a lot of freedom to do as they please, which in a way makes them about as "federal as Federal Express," as some have said. If the U.S. Federal Reserve were truly a "federal" institution, its decisions would have to be scrutinized by the branches of government -- you know, that whole "checks and balances" thing taught in a 9th grade civics class. Well, such checks and balances do not apply to the Fed, which has loaned out $16 trillion to banks around the world without any transparency whatsoever. While the people who run the Fed may be appointed by the President, the Fed's business is largely its own. That was the point of establishing the bank, but I think some rightly question whether or not such an institution should be permitted to operate in a constitutional republic.

In the case of Argentina, the CFK exercises quite a bit of control over the Central Bank, it seems. Martin Redrado is the former president of the Central Bank. He was fired for not endorsing CFK's policy to use foreign exchange reserves to pay for debts/spending.

The thinking today is that central banks need to be independent of day to day political pressures to be effective. Whether or not they should exist or not there has to be some institution or mechanism to do what they do. The dollars overseas simply reflect the dollars status as the reserve currency of the world. Most international transactions require dollars, so most countries have to hold dollars. Since just about every country has a central bank it seems the accepted way to go. Obviously the independence of the central bank in Argentina is severely compromised and with 25% inflation I would say totally ineffective.

A lot of this (i.e. the Fed is a private bank) comes in my opinion from cranks like Ron Paul and the Tea Party. This is pasted all over the internet if people want to find out more.

Barney said:
Cristina can lose about 35% of her votes and still get reelected so it's basically done. The only way the oposition can archive anything if there is going to be only 2 slates(Alfonsin - Rodriguez Saa and Binner - Carrio) but that ain't going to happen

In politic to add sometimes means to subtract.

If you try to add the 3% lilita has, then Rodriguez Saa and Alfonsin looses another 10%.

Bajo_cero2 said:
jazrgz:
We are not an industrial country, that's a fact. But the K plan is to develope the industry while during several governments like last dictadura and Menem, the plan was to destry it.
The metalurgic industry duplicated the quantity of jobs.
Here you have the website of the industry Agency.
http://www.minprod.gob.ar/

We are not an industrial country and we are not gonna be anytime soon, this government is not doing anything about it ! in order to be an industrial country you actually need strong industries, or any industry whatsoever...we aint got none !! our financial system pretty much depends on the soy price. that´s it ! The metalurgic industry was very strong way before Kirchner and this last decade it certainly improved a lot, but no means thanks to local policies ! It´s entirely it´s own merit, they were able to grow despite the K administration.
btw, that website is as serious and as real as the INDEC numbers...It´s all cheap propaganda, i just went through it. It´s a joke. If someone completaly unaware of our country reads that will assume we are world superpower !!!

Bajo_cero2 said:
Regarding the investment on science, you should do some research. My sister is a Conicet cientist. Conicet is the State research institut. She studyes star fish because we have one variety that is the most compatible with the creation of human organs like liver, for example.
She used to have a miserable salary, now she has a proper one and proper equipment.
Now argentinian scientist instead of emmigrating are immigrating.
Here is the science plan designer for former President K:

http://www.mincyt.gov.ar/multimedia/archivo/archivos/Plan_Bicentenario.pdf

Im glad for your sister but for what you said, the fish she is working with is found here in Arg, so it only makes sense she is here and again, im glad she is able to do so, but research projects have been going on here for ever, that´s not new, it all started waaay before K, the problem is that there´s not nearly enough research and projects compared to our the amount and quality of our scientists. btw the conicet has been working for decades with always a steady amount of world renoun scientists. Salaries have always been far from good and I guess I´ll take your word on the fact that today it´s better than before....Still is way far from what it should be !
Argentinian scientists are spread out all around the world still, saying they are coming back sounds nice but it is not true ! there´s always some that come back here for whatever personal reason or for some hope that politics may change, that has been going on for the past 30 years, this decade is no different that the previous ones. Even if all scientists decided to come back home there would just not be enough openings for them, for almost all of them since there´s absolutaly nothing going on in terms of technological advance or research facilities or more labs. It´s all pretty much the same as always.

Bajo_cero2 said:
Well, soy's price is high, so what. What excuse do you have to explain the US and UE crisis? CFK said lack of proper leadership.

Regarding to be doom, go and find a job in Spain or the UK nowadays.

Argentina is not Sweden, but CFK is doing very well.

Regarding inflation, sometimes I feel like the dollar is sinking. Perhaps there is some inflation and the dollar is sinking. Perhaps the dollar is sinking while the peso is getting stronger.

All i have to say abou this is simply that neither you nor me leave abroad on those countries, so what happens there should be resolved there. and as i mentioned in my previous post, despite the difficulties those countries are currently going through, they do not have children dying of starvation nor a 30'% of their population poor or indigent living on horrible conditions. If CFK would have done well then this problem would not exist or it would be minimal, everyone would have jobs en blanco and the average salary should be 7 K pesos and everyone would have access to credit at rates affordable by everyone. Any less than this it´s pure failure, considering they have been in power for a decade and unlike menem and others, have been doing so with full power, meaning, complete control of the congress and control of the judges and will the soy being almost as expensive as diamonds !!! :O . They could have literally changed this country 360 dgrs with all this power and money..instead...we are doing the same, maybe a tiny bit better than with Menem...SHAME !!!!!! At the same time, CFK and husband along with pretty much any sleeze bag working on their administrations got nasty wealthier, they are now all millionares (before they werent) !!

Bajo_cero2 said:
It is a weird time in international economy.

We have survived to several crisis and we know when leaders are taking measures that are useless and suicidal. Some examples of stupidity is to try to solve the crisis printing money like the US and UE have done too much.
I have seen too much waste in the US and too much wealth without working in Europe, now they are going straigh to the real economy. When deep reforms cannot be done, then the political and economy systems crash just like happend to the Soviet Union. Now Russia is strong againg but it needed to crash first. Is the US going to reburn from ashes? Who know, but it is clear that they cannot stop falling down unles they stop wasting money on several wars because they cannot afford them. This is the numer one recipe to solve an economical crisis, stop spending money and start creationg wealth.
The main guerrilla war strategy is to drain the enemy when you cannot defeat him in an open battle. So, who is loosing and who is winning this nonsense war?
Regards
hmmm, Idem previous message. Also...are you suggesting Argentina is in any way winning at anything ???? The only things we have gotten reall good at even worldwide is at creating more slums and extending significantly the ones that already existed.
Corruption is like currency, unseen in this levels in most countries in the world.
It really shocks me when someone here actually buys the whole Argentina is doing great....Sadly, it´s part of our culture, we always end up going for the most populist (for instance corrupted) presidential option. This was true as well with Menem, who also Won his elections by huge numbers (not to mention his 3rd election, when he actually beat kirchner)

-Juan

Back