what does the "expat community" think about the Bicentenario?

schef4711 said:
and good time that military will show their force to bad goverment like "we are here and we can do same as before .... (197* / Peron)" to control you.

I think it's the people who should be saying that, not the military.

I am an expat, though with residency, so my opinion to Argentinos may not count much; in fact, as I have seen from at least two consistent Argentino posters on this forum, whatever I have to say is sure to piss some off.

The attitude of "let the military (or threat thereof) be the force that cleans up the government" is extremely dangerous. I think it also points out a common failing of many Argentinos to take their fate into their own hands collectively.

I think there is always some cause for celebration of something as momentous as 200 years of continued existence. I think it is a good thing to have something to tie people together into a nation, with pride and belonging.

But I hope that the people of Argentina will also be thinking of their past and future, not just partying because there is an excuse to. Someone in another thread, an Argentine, said very appropriately that the Argentine people (not the military) are the ones who contiue to vote in the people in power. That is somewhat correct, but there are many other factors at play in Argentina, such as the large amount of poor (also mentioned by that poster) who vote for those who lie to them, promising that their way is correct and going to make everything all better, and give the poor a little pocket change in one fashion or another to vote for them. I don't know how to get around that issue. The poor need to be educated to understand things a little better, but it is the powers that be who want to keep the poor ignorant so they can have their voting block to make their "leadership" more "legitimate."

I hope the same for the people of the US because we face the same future with the road we are going down. I'm not talking specifically Obama, although he is a tool that will bring us further toward ruin. But it's obvious that politicians in the States are just as opportunistic and take every chance they have, for the most part, to lie to the people of the US and then do whatever the money behind the scenes says needs to happen. Hopefully the people in the US wake up soon and start rejecting people who are only interested in serving the establishment. That doesn't mean voting for people like Obama who promise change, then shove shit down the throats of a majority who don't want what he's selling, and the rest of the change he promised never comes.

So, as an expat who comes from a country headed for deeper problems, approaching many of the same issues that Argentinos already have to deal with, I sympathize with their plight, I hope that they have a good celebration, but also hope that some of that pride makes them realze they have the right and ability to change things if they want to, and if they can summon the courage to do so.

tangobob said:
I hope and pray you are a minority, God forbid we return to Anarchy and killing people just because they disagree with us.

The military should be the servant of the people, not their masters.

I guess you should read a little about Argentine History and what happend not so far with military here. This is nothing about god or any other stuff.

But you said it "...SHOULD BE..." but the past has shown that it isn't every time as it should be ;)

They've shown courage in the past to change things (2001?) and they could again.
I'm pretty sure that is something CK keeps in the back of her mind.

Back