What fresh insanity is this?

John.St said:
Intelligence is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for every one thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

René Descartes (1596–1650)

:D:cool:

"Good sense is..."* :D:eek:

I tend to agree with Descartes on this one but how long must one suffer fools gladly? My patience too runs thin. A little too thin sometimes, I have to admit.

nicoenarg said:
"Good sense is..."* :eek:

I tend to agree with Descartes on this one but how long must one suffer fools gladly? My patience too runs thin. A little too thin sometimes, I have to admit.
Descartes, the old bugger, did not write in English - you can translate

"Le bon sens est la chose du monde la mieux partagée; car chacun pense en être si bien pourvu, que ceux même qui sont les plus difficiles à contenter en toute autre chose n’ont point coutume d’en désirer plus qu’ils en ont."

to "good sense", "intelligence", "common sense", and similar expressions. :rolleyes::D:cool:

John.St said:
Descartes, the old bugger, did not write in English - you can translate

"Le bon sens est la chose du monde la mieux partagée; car chacun pense en être si bien pourvu, que ceux même qui sont les plus difficiles à contenter en toute autre chose n’ont point coutume d’en désirer plus qu’ils en ont."

to "good sense", "intelligence", "common sense", and similar expressions. :rolleyes::D:cool:

Cool thanks. I actually do not speak French and did not know that "Le bon sens" could also be translated as "intelligence". I have always heard it rendered "Good sense".

AFAIK bon sense = common sense bur not intelligence, by any stretch of the imagination .

Back