What happens to elderly who lack family/resources to care for them?

chris

Registered
The situation in which an elderly friend finds himself has made me wonder what happens to people who may own their homes and have pensions but not enough to hire carers? I know of such a case where the family stepped in and are picking up the considerable costs of round-the-clock home care but what if there are no relatives to help out? Are there any social services here?

They are called asilo de ancianos , there are private ones(very expensive for this economy) or there are state run places much like public or social medicine and i know they will take anyone in no matter who you are o where you come from

Is there no home care assistance available?
You can get home care assistance through PAMI ( not sure how many days/hours per week depending on your condition ). Some people give housing in exchange for caring. PAMI also has nursing homes, I guess being old and not having a family is not a good situation here or anywhere. I have ready that the Jewish community has a few places ( buildings ) that provide assisted living but don't know them first hand. I have also read about reverse mortgages that provide enough money to pay for home care assistance until you die.

Dealing with this situation right now with an elderly in-law with dementia. In the past we have hired local caregivers part-time. It's hard to find someone trustworthy and reliable but we lucked out. Nursing homes in Argentina are very expensive, and from what I've heard, the care is not the best.

We brought this person to the US where both daughters currently live but the situation is not sustainable as the relative is on a tourist visa which can be renewed for a total maximum of one year. She owns a home in La Boca but even selling it wouldn't amount to enough for long-term round the clock quality care.

Her health plan in Argentina is under OSECAC so we will have to explore further options when we take her back to Argentina. Unfortunately, both of her daughters now reside in the US to add to complications.

Nikad, I am surprised that there are reverse mortgages. Do you know more about that?
Richard, can't the family get a visa for the woman to live in the US?
Someone I know here who is dealing with care for an aged relative tells me that maintaining the relative in his home, paying all the bills and paying for 24 hour care is much more expensive than one of the better nursing homes.

Nikad, I am surprised that there are reverse mortgages. Do you know more about that?
Someone I know here who is dealing with care for an aged relative tells me that maintaining the relative in his home, paying all the bills and paying for 24 hour care is much more expensive than one of the better nursing homes.
My bad Chris, i thought the law was passed but not yet ( worth keeping an eye on it though ) http://gracielaocana.com.ar/hipotecainversa/

Nikad,

That's a possibility but she wouldn't qualify for any meaningful kind of assistance until becoming a US citizen (5 years after getting a green card). As you know, care is astronomical in the US.

Back