What I spent in one month in BsAs (budget traveller)

Lulu-Kyoko

Registered
I don't know if this will be helpful for anyone, but I saw an earlier post from someone thinking they could live for a year in BsAs on $5000.

I'm a bit obsessive, so tracked my spending-- all prices in USD, converted at the bank rate, because I was totally reliant on ATMs.

Entry fee: $ 75
Rent: 800 (Microcentro)
Groceries: 200
Restaurants: 75
Touristy stuff: 25 (museums, etc)
Laundry: 20
Transportation: 5
My vices: 320 (coffee, cigarettes, wine, chocolate)
Bank fees: 130 (home fees and ARG fees)
Spanish: 800 (one month, 4 hours per day)
Camera: 220 (cheapest one I could find, to replace my stolen iPhone)

TOTAL: $2670

I went through and agency for the apartment, and was probably overcharged for rent. The bank fees are out of control, but I didn't have a lot of choice in the matter. I didn't eat out a lot, but I went for coffee and drinks on a regular basis (plus I smoke). I also tended to walk everywhere and most tourist places I visited were free. I definitely could have spent a lot more, but also could have spent a lot less!

I go on about $60 a day with $120 on Sundays so I can go somewhere nice and have lunch out. That includes my copious daily wine intake and travel to work. That's about $2000 per month plus $1800 rent = $3800. You've done pretty well on $2670 Lulu :)

I think we're pretty close then, except that you obviously have much nicer apartment...

pompeygazza said:
I go on about $60 a day with $120 on Sundays so I can go somewhere nice and have lunch out. That includes my copious daily wine intake and travel to work. That's about $2000 per month plus $1800 rent = $3800. You've done pretty well on $2670 Lulu :)

Good God, your not kidding. Lulu you are amazing. I cant tell you how much we have spent over the last month. Denial works for me but its going to be serious budget next month.

Lulu-Kyoko said:
I think we're pretty close then, except that you obviously have much nicer apartment...

Mmm not sure about that...I live in downtown. I share but have the place to myself most of the time as my only flatmate spends a lot of time in La Plata. Even so I know I'm being seen off at $1800, but the place was arranged for me before I came here and was young and inexperienced :confused:

I'm here by myself and I don't really know anyone, so that probably helped keep the costs down. Plus, I don't pay for the internet and I don't have a phone anymore... 'tho if I was being honest, I should tack on $700, which is what it will cost to replace the iPhone.

I'm coming back for the month of August, so it will be interesting to compare/contrast between now and then.

For the past few months I've been spending an average of $1200usd/month TOTAL! Albeit my rent is around $230/$250 depending on the exchange rate. I don't think I included my travel insurance in my expense report which is about $75-$100/month. Not too shabby!

That's USD2670, remember. Pompeygazza is talking pesos surely - your rent isn't USD1800 a month?

At the official rate Lulu has spent about ARS12,000 which is more than both me and my girlfriend live on, but obviously we don't have expenses such as cameras, Spanish lessons, bank fees and our rent is much cheaper.

Sounds about right....I think 10-12k pesos per month is basically what is costs (amazingly) to live a good lifestyle. Life is a bit cheaper up here in Cordoba however still a touch pricey.....a far cry for the average 3-4k average salary. It is possibly to live cheap, but isn´t that much fun!

Lulu special thank you for going to the trouble and posting that. I get by for less than you, cheaper rent, I don't do spanish lessons. I think a person could get by easily here for less than $1500, and I wouldn't consider $1200 out of the question though some might. Lifestyles vary. Just talking possibility here. I know an Argentine who does it on $200 US a month but owns her apartment. I don't know how she does it. She can't really buy food that I consider healthy and is often behind on expenses in her building--but she does it. So she says.

Back