What is involved in getting a Driver’s License here?

In some cases, including mine, it has been possible to get an Argentine license without taking either a written exam or a practical driving test by presenting an unexpired foreign license.

Steve, are you saying you just presented a non-expired license and they printed you a local license? Can you elaborate a bit? This sounds like a great technique for those with a valid license.

In some cases, including mine, it has been possible to get an Argentine license without taking either a written exam or a practical driving test by presenting an unexpired foreign license.

Steve, are you saying you just presented a non-expired license and they printed you a local license? Can you elaborate a bit? This sounds like a great technique for those with a valid license.

I still had to take the eye exam, pass the psychological test (copy a few line drawings/stick figures), and take the blood test.

I tried first to get my license at ROCA, but they rejected my unexpired Illinois driver's license because the "renew by mail" sticker which I had correctly applied to the back of the license did not have an official signature of the Secretary of State.

A few months later I applied for my license in Punta Alta and there was no problem with the renewal sticker.

In Punta Alta had I to get the blood test from a private lab a few blocks from the driver's license office.

If the kind folks at ROCA had not rejected my license, I would have been able to get the blood test done there, but I never got to the point of being exempted from or required to take the written or practical exams there.

PS: I got my license in 2010, so I can't say for sure if it's still possible.

Last edited:
If the kind folks at ROCA had not rejected my license, I would have been able to get the blood test done there, but I never got to the point of being exempted from or required to take the written or practical exams there..

After thinking about it for a few minutes, I am sure that I went to ROCA with the advance understanding that I would be exempt from the written exam and practrical test. I could not have taken the practical test at ROCA because I went there by bus and had no car available for the test.

Someone may shed some light, it's my understanding that drivers over 70 MUST renew the license Yearly..! taking again all the tests.

Someone may shed some light, it's my understanding that drivers over 70 MUST renew the license Yearly..! taking again all the tests.

Spanish. 3.- People over SEVENTY (70) years of age may renew their national driver's license only annually and must again take the examinations provided for in subsection a.4, a.5 and a.6 of Article 14 of Law No. 24,449.

People over SEVENTY (70) years of age may renew their national driver's license only annually and must again take the examinations provided for in subsection a.4, a.5 and a.6 of Article 14 of Law No. 24,449.

To be specific, this follows Rich One's last quote and it is clear that those over 70 must renew annualy and take all of the exams, including the theoretical (written) and practical (driving) tests:

"As it arises from the regulations, for the renewal of the license of those over 65 years of age they must again take the examinations provided for in subsection a.4 (psychophysical), a.5 (theoretical evaluation) and a.6 (fault detection) of Article 14 of Law 24,449. According to Provision 207 (Annex IV point 7), the failure detection test is made up of a theoretical part and a practical part."

My driver's license (valid for three years as it was issued when I was 68) expired in July of 2121, but when I went on line about three weeks prior to the expiration date to make a turno to renew it, I found this:

Disposición 54/21 SE HAN ESTABLECIDO NUEVAS EXTENSIONES EN LAS PRÓRROGAS DE LICENCIAS NACIONALES DE CONDUCIR EMITIDAS POR LA PROVINCIA DE BUENOS AIRES
1- LICENCIAS 2020: vencimientos operados entre el 15 de febrero y el 31 de diciembre de 2020 , SE EXTIENDEN LOS VENCIMIENTOS POR EL TERMINO DE 24 MESES. 2- LICENCIAS 2021: vencimientos que hayan operado entre el 1 de enero y el 31 de diciembre del 2021 SE EXTIENDEN LOS VENCIMIENTOS POR EL TERMINO DE 18 MESES.
LAS PRORROGAS DESCRIPTAS TIENEN VIGENCIA EN TODO EL TERRITORIO NACIONAL.
BAJO LA LEY PROVINCIAL 13.927 ART 8.

Even though I had an 18 month extension, I decide to make a turno in November of 2121 when it was warmer, but when I tried to do so, I found this:

"Sr conductor/a, debido a la situaciòn sanitaria actual los turnos para realizaciòn de licencias originales (por primera vez) ampliaciones y la renovaciòn para los mayores de 70 años cumplidos en adelante, estàn suspendidos. Aquellos que se otorgan hasta que se restablezca el servicio en su total normalidad..."

I just chcked to see if this notice still appears on the website. It does. So, I still cannot renew, even if I want to.

Thanks to Rich One, I now know that those over 70 have to take the written and practical exams in order to renew their driver' license annualy.

If I had ben able to make a turno to renew mine in 2021, I would have shown up at the driver's license center with no idea that I would be required to take the theoretical and practical tests (for the first ime ever).

Even if the suspension of renewals for those over 70 years is lifted before mid-January of 2023, I still have just over a full year to study for the theoretical test, but, more than likely, I will cram for it during the week before I have to take it. I will wait as long as possible (assuming the suspension is lifted before July of 2022) to renew my license, making the next renewal further into the future.

PS: Sometimes ya just gotta kick that can down the road as far as possible..and this is one of 'em..

Hell, before then, as much as I hope not, I could kick the bucket...

Last edited:
My driver's license (valid for three years as it was issued when I was 68) expired in July of 2121, but when I went on line about three weeks prior to the expiration date to make a turno to renew it, I found this:

Disposición 54/21 SE HAN ESTABLECIDO NUEVAS EXTENSIONES EN LAS PRÓRROGAS DE LICENCIAS NACIONALES DE CONDUCIR EMITIDAS POR LA PROVINCIA DE BUENOS AIRES
1- LICENCIAS 2020: vencimientos operados entre el 15 de febrero y el 31 de diciembre de 2020 , SE EXTIENDEN LOS VENCIMIENTOS POR EL TERMINO DE 24 MESES. 2- LICENCIAS 2021: vencimientos que hayan operado entre el 1 de enero y el 31 de diciembre del 2021 SE EXTIENDEN LOS VENCIMIENTOS POR EL TERMINO DE 18 MESES.
LAS PRORROGAS DESCRIPTAS TIENEN VIGENCIA EN TODO EL TERRITORIO NACIONAL.
BAJO LA LEY PROVINCIAL 13.927 ART 8.

Even though I had an 18 month extension, I decide to make a turno in November of 2121 when it was warmer, but when I tried to do so, I found this:

"Sr conductor/a, debido a la situaciòn sanitaria actual los turnos para realizaciòn de licencias originales (por primera vez) ampliaciones y la renovaciòn para los mayores de 70 años cumplidos en adelante, estàn suspendidos. Aquellos que se otorgan hasta que se restablezca el servicio en su total normalidad..."

I just chcked to see if this notice still appears on the website. It does. So, I still cannot renew, even if I want to.

Thanks to Rich One, I now know that those over 70 have to take the written and practical exams in order to renew their driver' license annualy.

If I had ben able to make a turno to renew mine in 2021, I would have shown up at the driver's license center with no idea that I would be required to take the theoretical and practical tests (for the first ime ever).

Even if the suspension of renewals for those over 70 years is lifted before mid-January of 2023, I still have just over a full year to study for the theoretical test, but, more than likely, I will cram for it during the week before I have to take it. I will wait as long as possible (assuming the suspension is lifted before July of 2022) to renew my license, making the next renewal further into the future.

Sometimes ya just gotta kick that can down the road as far as possible..and this is one of 'em..

Steve : Requirements in smaller cities can vary , Renewing in Suipacha ( population 12,0000) the test is just reading some letters on the wall. If you know the Registro Person for years it can be very fast, no theoretical or driving test

Steve : Requirements in smaller cities can vary , Renewing in Suipacha ( population 12,0000) the test is just reading some letters on the wall. If you know the Registro Person for years it can be very fast, no theoretical or driving test
Thanks Rich. It's pretty relaxed in Punta Alta. I don't personally know anyone at the DL center here, but everyone I've ever dealt with, when I got my license in 2010 and renewed it twice (especially the first renewal when I went less than five days before it expired, but actually got the renewal on the expiration date) has been much nicer and certainly more easy going than the folks at ROCA:

Ironcially, when I went to renew my license in 2018, the "vision tester" wasn't there, so they just skipped the test.

Back