What is involved in getting a Driver’s License here?

Hi

Has anyone with a valid US license done this recently in CABA? My friend was told 9 months ago that his US could only be taken into account if he had a document from the embassy legalizing it. So he ended up with the beginners license.

Info on the CABA gov site seems to confirm this legalization is necessary as well.

Given the state of appointments at the embassy now seems like that’s far too difficult to get done.

Also, is there any advantage to going to ACA over Roca for all of this?

I got a driver's here in November 2021. My driver's license issued in the US had expired. I am permanent resident in Argentina, and I reside in CABA.
If you are not a permanent resident, I can not offer particulars on the process that would apply in your case.
My process was:
enroll in an auto school online course, and view the course
request a turn for your driver exam
I went to the entrance of the Av. Cln Roca licensing facility and found a business that will rent you a car and get you into the exam site, coordinated with your appointment date
at the Centro at AVe. Cln Roca in Villa Lugano
you first are tested for physical things like hearing, vision, then you proceed to the computer based test on driving rules.
if you pass that test, you go out to meet up with your driver, and you both then enter the road portion of the test. If you pass the behind the wheel test, you park the rental car, and turn the keys over to your driver. Go back into the building, use the computer terminal to affirm the data for your new license. then wait for some minutes while your license is made. I forgot when I was photographed in the process. You will be issued a principiante license, with the stricture you can't drive on any road where the speed limit exceeds 70 kph. after 6 months from issue, you can drive on any road, but if you blow any level of alchohol for 2 years, your license is revoked
I had a hard time understanding some of the questions on the written exam and failed the first test, the second time I took the test I repeatedly went back to the counter to ask for clarification and eventually just stayed there and the clerk helped me take/pass the test. He was very kind.

I had a hard time understanding some of the questions on the written exam and failed the first test, the second time I took the test I repeatedly went back to the counter to ask for clarification and eventually just stayed there and the clerk helped me take/pass the test. He was very kind.
I had the guy help me with the test too.

Remember, a smile, a dumb look, and a thank you can you very far in life.

Doesn't seem like you need a permanent DNI, both the link I posted above and the CABA link https://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/tramites/otorgamiento-de-licencia-de-conducir just mention having a DNI with address in CABA, nothing more than that.

Long time
Doesn't seem like you need a permanent DNI, both the link I posted above and the CABA link https://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/tramites/otorgamiento-de-licencia-de-conducir just mention having a DNI with address in CABA, nothing more than that.
Just phoned the ACA , if you have a temporary DNI (precaria status not permanente) , can initiate the tramite with ACA for DL .BUT the license will expire at the end of the Precaria expiration date. That is one year?

Long time

Just phoned the ACA , if you have a temporary DNI (precaria status not permanente) , can initiate the tramite with ACA for DL .BUT the license will expire at the end of the Precaria expiration date. That is one year?
Good detective work. I'm a bit confused by the precaria thing, because you only get a precaria as a bridge until your residency is approved.

If the license expires at the same time as the temporary (non-Mercosur, 1- year) residency, then the license would indeed be valid for at most one year. That's a best case, though, since you get your DNI 1-2 months after your residency is granted, so typically the license would be valid for about 10 months. I think you'd only have to renew the license, though, not re-do everything from first time around?

You are correct you need only to renew your driving license , that expires after your first year of residencia precaria. You will be under precaria status for 3 years? at that point you will be granted residencia permanente. Seems tiresome to renew the DL every year?

The ACA requirements are for first license, and or renewal.

Back