What is your status while waiting for citizenship application to be processed?

Honestly sounds pretty insecure overall, not sure it's worth it for me since I'm not here on a temporary or permanent residency visa but rather an expired temporary (which I cannot renew due to my circumstances). Just sounds very inconvenient to have 2 years more of complicated travel and everyday activities due to the lack of status, since the entire reason I want citizenship is to remedy those very problems. I'd rather just go to Uruguay for a few years (as they offer much more flexible residency categories) and maybe think about coming back once I'm able to qualify for a temporary/permanent category / hope they update them to be better applicable to independent workers.

The court process took less than two years in my case. I suggest you accept only clear answers from your lawyer. That's why you are paying a lawyer. There are threads on this forum about citizenship which may help you.

When a decision is made by the judge, you take an oath, receive a CARTA DE CIUDADANIA signed by the judge, then you apply for the DNI. With a DNI you can also apply for a passport.

How long did you wait before applying?

Honestly sounds pretty insecure overall, not sure it's worth it for me since I'm not here on a temporary or permanent residency visa but rather an expired temporary (which I cannot renew due to my circumstances). Just sounds very inconvenient to have 2 years more of complicated travel and everyday activities due to the lack of status, since the entire reason I want citizenship is to remedy those very problems. I'd rather just go to Uruguay for a few years (as they offer much more flexible residency categories) and maybe think about coming back once I'm able to qualify for a temporary/permanent category / hope they update them to be better applicable to independent workers.

I think you may be confused. It shouldn't take 2 years if you've already been in Argentina 2 years. It should take about 6 months. But with your status it may be different since you're not there legally per se.

Jantango was granted citizenship quite a few years ago, so the situation may be very different now. What I remember from recent citizenship threads is that the courts are looking more favorably and processing much more quickly (at least pre pandemic) the application of those who have not done visa runs and who have gone through the proper steps to get to permanent residency, including three years of temporary residency. Of course, I'm talking about those who are non Mercosur and are not married to an Argentine or do not have a child with an Argentine. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you already have a lawyer and are paying them, have them start the citizenship application online NOW. Your temporary radiancy has NOT expired legally as its been extended automatically and it will be extended automatically for some time. You can travel on this "expired" residency as long as Migraciones keep extending it automatically due to covid. Apply now, the residency will be valid until the covid situation is resolved, and after that you can just re-enter as a tourist a few times. And as Bajo said, have your layer petition you get a precaria in the meantime. It's actually not that farfetched. You can apply and still go to UY for sometime if you want.

2. Normally yes, nowadays it is more complicated because not even native citizens can under certain restrictions that change weekly. However, I have many clients who are abroad now and they are going to come back, probably, as citizens.
So after the sentencia is issued by the judge you become citizen automatically and can re-enter with that sentence/dictamen even if you are outside Argentina? I thought you need to do the juramiento infront of the judge before you become citizen?

So after the sentencia is issued by the judge you become citizen automatically and can re-enter with that sentence/dictamen even if you are outside Argentina? I thought you need to do the juramiento infront of the judge before you become citizen?
You become a citizen when you apply before the Federal Judge at Law 346, you are quoting 21.795. I achieved re entries ordered by the Federal Judge.

Jantango was granted citizenship quite a few years ago, so the situation may be very different now. What I remember from recent citizenship threads is that the courts are looking more favorably and processing much more quickly (at least pre pandemic) the application of those who have not done visa runs and who have gone through the proper steps to get to permanent residency, including three years of temporary residency. Of course, I'm talking about those who are non Mercosur and are not married to an Argentine or do not have a child with an Argentine. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You are talking about the situation during DNU 70/2017 that was abolished.

What are the benefits of being a citizen?

Here's a thread on that topic:

Back