What Made You Come To Argentina?

Bad movie, based on kitschy musical, with bad "actress" and even worse singer.

Try telling that to a 9-year-old girl who was really into musicals. Once in college as I started studying the country and the language, often with Argentine professors, I developed many more reasons for wanting to move here. But the movie is what planted the seed at a very young age.

Reactions: Joe
I knew nothing about Argentina... didn't know about asado, or that tango is from here, or even who Maradona was. And I didn't exactly fall in love with the place - everything seemed very dirty. :p

I`m not being rude (or maybe i am) but which planet did you arrive from? :p

What made me come to Argentina? A critically panned film adaptation of an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical starring Madonna. ^_^
LOVE this! Too awesome! I am a total musical nerd myself so I appreciate this. :)

I came for the horses, stayed for all sorts of reasons. Two years ago I was on a horse vacation in Italy, and met Italians and Brits who did seasonal horse work, often spending summers in Italy and winters in Spain, Thailand, and other places. I remembered how much I love horses and the country side. Over the course of two weeks I had a lot of conversations with these staff members and sort of had an aha-moment: I can do this! Italy didn't seem like a good choice (recession, short season) but I had lots of Argentinean friends in the US and had been here on vacation, so it seemed like the logical place. When I got back to the US (I am from Oslo but had lived in the US for a long time) I contacted 15 estancias and got three offers. It took seven weeks from I got back from holiday till I was on the plane to Buenos Aires. I loved my job in the US, and I miss it at times, but the bureaucracy was getting to me, and I thought it was a good time to try working in tourism, a sector I had always been interested in. It was a great choice for me and I loved both the country side living and the tourism work, although it is really intense!

I left the estancia at the end of the polo season this year, and now live in BsAs. I do freelance work with Norway and with the US, and this allows me to work/volunteer with an NGO that I love, which works to improve the education for deaf children in Argentina. It is cool to be able to use the skills from my old job to work on what I see as a great cause. (Also, I am pretty sure I am the only Norwegian who is conversational in Argentinean Sign Language!) The freelance world is new to me, and I am enjoying setting my own schedule most of the time. I love being able to run errands during the day, go for runs in the sunshine, have fun lunch plans on a Tuesday, etc. I am also finally starting to explore more of the country.

Socially, it has been fabulous, I feel really happy that I have been able to make good friends both with Argentineans and with other foreigners. I have even made some good Norwegian friends. We get together for super early dinners. :)

A pretty girl. Sunshine. A disregard for punctuality. Dulce de leche. Curiosity.

I married an Argentino in the 1980's but we didn't live here. I have been visiting family (in laws) here for 30 years. My daughter came with me 5 times after she was born, but she lives and works in the States. I always talked about moving here premanently. I have lived in Manhattan, LA, Houston, San Diego, Las Vegas, Chicago, Nebraska, and a few smaller places. Traveled to Mexico, the Carribean, Mediterranean, Italy, Greece, Turkey, etc. This year I made up my mind to do it and sold everything but the dogs. I have lots of loving, trustworthy family here who can't believe I am moving, but are very happy - they have visited me in the States several times and would love to live there, but would never leave behind the complete family here. They are spread out in the suburbs - Tigre, Villa Ballester, Moron - and are excited I am living in Recoleta/Palermo so they can crash on the weekends! :) I have seen many changes in economy and gov't in these 30 years, but never could say the country was ever in very good shape. You can say what you will about the States and Argentina and the differences between them, but what it comes down to is the person you are and what you expect out of life and especially the people around you. I just got a text today that my 88 yr old mother in law (in Villa Ballester) was robbed walking into her home by 4 men with guns who forced her to hand over her tv, a laptop and cash. She is ok, but very shaken. The economy is in desperate shape, which creates desperate, unfortunate people. There are degrees, but a poor economy is sadly normal in Argentina. The political engines of countries seem to screw everything up. You can always find a reason to run from where you are. I'm not running from the States, but running to Argentina. I am looking forward to getting to know people on this forum as well as the tourists and Argentine people I come across daily. Once settled, I am interested in volunteer work so I may look you up, Noruega!

I am looking forward to getting to know people on this forum as well as the tourists and Argentine people I come across daily. Once settled, I am interested in volunteer work so I may look you up, Noruega!
Welcome to the forum, bobsnowpuppy! Looking forward to meeting you further ahead! A little promo for the organization, it works to improve the education of deaf children here in Argentina and they are very professional and very frugal. One of the things we do are these Videobooks in sign language, they are so cute: www.videolibroslsa.org.ar

Back