What Made You Come To Argentina?

I was struggling in the sun in the south of Spain and my rental contract was up

A friend offered me a three month consultancy deal in Uruguay and Argentina.

Met up again with Mrs GlasgowJohn ( previously Miss Caballito ), who I had met previously but didnt really get on with.

We started seeing each other ona regular basis and when my deal was up , I stayed on for a fe months.

Seven years later , I am still here.....

I had been unemployed for 1.5 years, had to turn to online freelancing jobs to pay the bills. Couldn't afford to live in my home country by freelancing (taxes over 55% and making up new ones each month) and I was unable to find a decent job there due to deep crisis. Was also tired of political bullshit and ineptitude, plus too many rules and regulations that overcomplicated life and business.

Went here on vacation December to visit my OH's family here for the first time, liked the place, the prices and looked like an easy solution. Moved here 5 months later that first trip to BsAs.
Too soon to tell if this will be long-term or short-term.

Left UK 4 years ago to travel SA - properly bored and disillusioned with my own country and culture. Lost my bankcard so had to stay put in one place until a new one arrived from the UK. In that time I got friendly with the girl in the hostel where I was staying. Kept seeing my name in the streets, literally - Tobias Fumigation, Tobias Empanadas, Calle Tobias, Hostal Tobias etc. amongst other fatal signs so thought why not give it ago until the money runs out. The money ran out but Im still here married to the girl in the hostel. Sometimes can't afford even a medialuna, the country is all over the shop but do I want to return to the UK? Absolutely not!

I was living in NYC and started dating an Argentine polo player. He was always talking about how great it was here so I booked a vacation to see for myself. He was out of the picture by the time I came down the first time in 2005 but I had a life-changing experience, came down a few more times for vacation and loved it. I was beyond burned out in NYC and decided to quit my job and take a year sabbatical here to learn Spanish and ride horses. That was 2007. I lived the expat tourist life for a while, learned some Spanish, rode the horses, then got a job working for a US company and started a subsidiary company and dealt with the challenges of that, then fell in love and 7 years later, I'm still here and as the mother of 2 Argentines, I'm not going anywhere.*

*Unless we sell the farm in which case Martin and I and the citytwins would move to the US quite happily. But since that's a remote possibility, I don't like to think too much about it.

We moved here because when life became increasingly difficult in the States we decided to make a change. When a health insurance problem had me in tears at the hospital the morning I was going to give birth to my 3rd child I knew we wouldn't be there much longer. My husband is Argentine so we decided to come here. We are in Bariloche where it is peaceful and my kids are free to be KIDS and I get to work from home and spend so much more time with my family. I love it. It's not perfect here but it's much better than where we were.

I was living in NYC and started dating an Argentine polo player. He was always talking about how great it was here so I booked a vacation to see for myself. He was out of the picture by the time I came down the first time in 2005 but I had a life-changing experience, came down a few more times for vacation and loved it. I was beyond burned out in NYC and decided to quit my job and take a year sabbatical here to learn Spanish and ride horses. That was 2007. I lived the expat tourist life for a while, learned some Spanish, rode the horses, then got a job working for a US company and started a subsidiary company and dealt with the challenges of that, then fell in love and 7 years later, I'm still here and as the mother of 2 Argentines, I'm not going anywhere.*
It is so interesting to read everybody's stories! I see am not the only horse girl around here. :) I always say that the Argentine campo is heaven for my inner 12-year-old - horses everywhere! Riding in Norway growing up was very nice, because of the forests, mountains etc. that are open to all, but of course also cold, snowy and rainy, and it gets really expensive. I couldn't believe how many sunny days there are here, it is perfect for riding almost year round, except after the big storms.

Back