What the hell is a "North American"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both continents do indeed have the name North America, but the last time I studied history, the USA came into existence as an independent country before the "latino" countries from Mexico on down, by some 50 years (give or take), I believe.

Most latinos have somethng of an inferioirty complex related to the US, for various reasons, some correct and some complete propaganda to take the heat off of leaders who abuse their people even worse than the US has done in those same countries. They see us calling ourselves Americans as an insult, that we are trying to "own" everything, including the name.

I've tried to explain to many in various Latin American countries over the years that we don't think of ourselves in that fashion when we call ourselves American. The simple fact is that in English there is no name that works as describing where an American is from. USan, USer, USian, Stater, Statesian, Statano, whatever. Maybe UniStater? Just doesn't work.

All that having been said, I always try to introduce myself as "estadounidense", because I think the argument that is behind the "insult" latinos feel does not hold water and because I don't like being called North American either, but I don't like to argue the fact because it gets one nowhere here.

Yanqui is OK, even though I'm from Texas, because I understand that both sides in the war were wrong (the North were aggressors - if you think all that fighting was really about slaves, look closer - it truly was a war of agression and if the North had waited a bit longer, with the coming of the industrial revolution, slavery in the South would have died a natural death; but rather was saying "no one will ever secede from the US - that's all way over simplified, but another topic...) and most people (whether they be Latinos or from other Anglo countries calling us that) don't really understand much of all that. And besides, the name came about long before there was so much animosity between the North and the South.

I have a Canadian friend who was dating my sister-in-law here who didn't like it either. To say that Canada and the US have the same culture is incorrect, and I think many, if not most, Canadians will feel insulted by that. At least those I have known over the years would.

AlexanderB said:
No, but differentiating Castilian Spanish from non-Castilian Iberian Spanish languages seems important to them.

I always begin a conversation with a stranger with the aopology that I don't speak the language well...todavia.

It always has positive results.

ElQueso said:
All that having been said, I always try to introduce myself as "estadounidense", because I think the argument that is behind the "insult" latinos feel does not hold water and because I don't like being called North American either, but I don't like to argue the fact because it gets one nowhere here.

Yanqui is OK, even though I'm from Texas...

I always say "I'm from Dallas, TEXAS" and they respond "Oh, you're American." And then I think "You must not read BA Expats, or take mate with Marksoc..." But I usually say "Sí. Soy un shanqui." (And they chuckle... and then that's when I know that I have them right where I want them.)

ElQueso said:
I have a Canadian friend who was dating my sister-in-law here who didn't like it either. To say that Canada and the US have the same culture is incorrect, and I think many, if not most, Canadians will feel insulted by that. At least those I have known over the years would.

Yes, Canucks have a different chip on their shoulder that America wants to absorb them and their 20 million people and their huge oil reserves. And while our oil companies probably would like this to happen, most Americans haven't a clue who Canada would think that we want to absorb a frozen tundra. I mean, we already bought Alaska from the Ruskies. What more do we want?

BUT... when giving 1st World examples, Canucks want non-North Americans to know that they're the 1st World too.

And THAT is what I'm talking about. And if the Canadian friend wants me to give a few examples, then he'll have to buy me a few beers before I spill the beans.

For most of the Argentines, Venezuela is part of Central America, and in many cases they refer to us as "latinos"...i guess that they don't realize that Venezuela is in South America (like Argentina), and they are "latinos" too. Some little problems with geography i think...

amerikanisch als Adjektiv steht für:

aus Amerika, als Herkunft/Abstammung vom Kontinenten Amerika (Nord-, Mittel- und Südamerika)
US-amerikanisch, die Staatsangehörigkeit der Bürger der Vereinigte Staaten

Américain fait référence, selon le contexte, à ce qui a trait à l’Amérique ou aux États-Unis.
Langue[modifier]

l’anglais américain, l’anglais tel qu’il est parlé aux États-Unis ;

Gentilé[modifier]

un habitant de l’Amérique au sens du continent ;
au XVIIIe siècle, Américain était un nom donné aux Amérindiens ;
un habitant ou un citoyen des États-Unis ;

In most Latin American countries, schools teach the geography of the Western Hemisphere as it being only one continent - America. There are not two continents. The continent is subdivided into the regional Norte and the regional Sur. Hence, people see themselves as being 'Americano' - from the continent of America.

This is a big deal with Latinos; Chilean artist Alfredo Jaar in 1987 used a computerized light board over Times Square to confront viewers with his message; he superimposed the statement “This is not America” on a map of the United States. When the image electronically changed, the word America was superimposed on a map of the whole Western hemisphere.

If you live in a latin american country, it's best to speak in the terms and definitions they use, instead on insisting on your home country's definitions.

There are not single agreed upon names for things that are equivalent in different languages. For example: Germany is the latin based name for a country (region actually) that actually calls itself Deutschland. Austria is the english name for a country that calls itself Österreich (or eastern kingdom). And most fascinating for the Texans on the forum, the river that separates Texas from Mexico is called Rio Bravo by Mexicans.

KarlaBA said:
If you live in a latin american country, it's best to speak in the terms and definitions they use, instead on insisting on your home country's definitions.

Where I live no one speaks English, so it doesn't matter.

They ask me where I'm from and I say Chicago.

This often results in a mock machine gun pantomine.

Then we talk about something else.

Often they express how horrible they think it would be to live in Capital Federal.

AngelinBA said:
Gringo has a negative connotation. My Argentine husband broke off a lifelong friendship with someone because they made disparaging remarks about the amount of gringos around when he knew that I was one.
If I were from the north of the continent called America, I would prefer to be called Norteamericano or estadounidense or canadiense than yanqui or gringo.
On another note, I also consider the whole of the continent to be America ( or The Americas) so when I hear the song from West side story ´I like to be in America´it makes me smile. They already WERE in America where they came from! :)

So, when locals refer to Palermo Viejo as "Gringolandia" they aren't complimenting us?

Seriously, while many South Americans may think they are insulting us by calling us gringos, most USAians aren't offended at all.

ElQueso said:
....I have a Canadian friend who was dating my sister-in-law here who didn't like it either. To say that Canada and the US have the same culture is incorrect, and I think many, if not most, Canadians will feel insulted by that. At least those I have known over the years would....

Especially French Canadians ......

KarlaBA said:
There are not single agreed upon names for things that are equivalent in different languages. For example: Germany is the latin based name for a country (region actually) that actually calls itself Deutschland. Austria is the english name for a country that calls itself Österreich (or eastern kingdom). And most fascinating for the Texans on the forum, the river that separates Texas from Mexico is called Rio Bravo by Mexicans.

Alright, I knew a couple of Germans in Dubai (can't say anything about Austria because I never came across any Austrians except when I was in Vienna...but that doesn't count here). The Germans spoke English but every once in a while they would use the word "Deutschland".

And when they did use that word, I did not say, "Uh huh, hold on right there, I am sure you mean GERMANY!!"

Oh and America is "Estados Unidos de AMERICA" in Spanish so its not like its a language and translation problem.

'nuff said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back