What to bring from France to make a profit?

I would suggest I pads! I have noticed that they go for at least twice the U.S. price on mercadolibre (the Arg version of ebay). I haven't done it myself but it seems like a great deal. Would require an initial investment, but I suppose thats the same concept as iphones.

If not, I second dollars. People have been begging me to sell them my dollars.

Dollars aren't an investment per se, as they are what they are; there's nothing being sold for more than what it cost/is worth. (The worth of a dollar now is 6 pesos; see el_expat's posts on the recent rental thread).

I hear iPads and iPhones (BlackBerrys too) aren't moving as fast now, what with the dollar situation...
Anyone has any insights on this?

Or say the new MacBook Pro (Retina). It starts at $2200 in the US; would people (not in theory; in practice) pay a premium for it here?

There's good profits to be made selling second hand goods. Quality goods are exorbitantly expensive in Argentina, and lose little of their value when sold second hand. Quality goods are relatively cheap in europe, and second hand prices are very low. So there's a better markup to be had selling something second hand than there is something new. Also, there's no problems with the aduana - as the goods have clearly been used.

Ben's right. Anything mac: a new macbook pro, ipod, iphone, ipad, cables, spare parts, etc. There's a lot of people here (both foreign and domestic) having a hard time getting this stuff because of the import controls. I waited 5 months for a replacement HD. Finally ended up buying one in NY.

But would a tourist bringing in a brand new MB Pro Retina, in the box, raise any eyebrows at Ezeiza?

BienTeVeo said:
Ben's right. Anything mac: a new macbook pro, ipod, iphone, ipad, cables, spare parts, etc. There's a lot of people here (both foreign and domestic) having a hard time getting this stuff because of the import controls. I waited 5 months for a replacement HD. Finally ended up buying one in NY.

But would a tourist bringing in a brand new MB Pro Retina, in the box, raise any eyebrows at Ezeiza?

Without any box obviously!

Anyway, in between the iPhones, wine, foie gras, cheese and such, I hope the Custom officers won't ask anything :p

BienTeVeo said:

To be honest, I meant it more as a question: out of all the Apple stuff for example, how certain can one be that there will be buyers for the price + Argentina tax, and that you don't get stuck with 3 iPhones + MacBook, market price be damned?

Because I've actually heard murmurs that given the currency controls, this market is cooling off.

ben said:
To be honest, I meant it more as a question: out of all the Apple stuff for example, how certain can one be that there will be buyers for the price + Argentina tax, and that you don't get stuck with 3 iPhones + MacBook, market price be damned?

Because I've actually heard murmurs that given the currency controls, this market is cooling off.

Maybe it is cooling off. I don't really know. But I have to think that there must be people out there who've bought apple products in recent years, who now can't get parts, upgrades, etc.

The other issue to consider is whether a buyer here would be willing to pay in dollars (or euros, in this case) for big ticket item like a macbook. Might be tricky.

Another suggestion: vacuum-sealed reblochon. I'd buy some!

Back