What To Bring When Moving From Europe To Argy

Of course, there's every chance that things will improve after 2015 when hopefully more sanity will prevail.
We have to have hope.

We are still inquiring for quotes. First, it appeared that with 3 pallets we would spend as much as with a 20 ft. container, so we thought to bring everything in a container. Then it turned out that if adding the cost to take the container outside the port, that figure would double. We are talking about €8000 door-to-door, and €4000-4500 to ship and clear custom only - we can arrange the delivery in BsAs on our own.
So we are back to pallets, and we think 3 pallets should suffice (we have packed almost the whole house this week, just to get an idea of how many pallets we would need).
That should bring us around €2000-2500 to ship and clear our stuff (cookware, clothes, small appliances).
Make sure to get a written guarantee that the price covers delivery after customs, and insurance. I am not sure whom of you, the transport company or yourself, will have to bribe the port mafia.
1) This Index of Economic Freedom a friend posted on FB that ranks Argentina 166th. Oddly enough, I met him at the university in Italy and now is living in Santa Fe with his Argentinian wife. FYI, Argentina is in the same pot as Cuba, North Korea, Congo and Zimbabwe.
Argentina is doing much better when it comes to corruption: no. 106 (italy is very clean in comparison, #69) http://www.transpare...cpi2013/results

That would be called CIF (customs,insurance,freight), I believe. Not to be confused with Ex works.
I paid CIF to bring my stuff from Spain, thinking that would be the end of it.
What a fool I was.
The bribes alone were a king's ransom.

First of all don't worry! It can be worrying to read all the posts on this site! Some tips from personal experience. Don't worry about cosmetics they are fine here. The only thing you can't get is applicator tampons. I can't remember if they exist in Italy but if that is important, bring a load with you until you go home for a visit. Bring electronics with you. Bring USD dollars with you instead of Euros. You will find it really easy to convert dollars and you don't even need to go to a Cueva. I know quite a few people who will happily exchange their pesos for your dollars. I know them personally so I can always help you there. I'm sure your boyfriend will also have family & friends who want dollars!

Expect that your freight will take longer to arrive than you think. My company organised mine but due to waiting for signatures & notaries (say no more...) I am about to get my freight after 3 months. Your freight probably won't take that long but I would take more than one suitcase with you.

Clothes take them with you. There are many shops here but the clothes aren't so good. They are not awful though! Most stores cater for slim women.

You'll be surprised by how you will adapt. The only food Item I took with me was a 'bottarga di tonno' :). I think it can be too overwhelming thinking of everything. Ship some of your goods, bring more suitcases on the plane & pay extra. Take a few very small food items that are unusual to find even in Italy but ones that you love.

There are many apartments here that you can rent with furniture.

For Spanish lessons I can recommend a private tutor. I think it's better than classes. I think you will be at an avantage to learn the language despite the false friends in Italian. You will be much more interested in learning it once you are here. The motivation of wanting to interact with friends etc will take over!

Most importantly see this as an adventure! It's natural to be overwhelmed & scared. I was, but it's also exciting too. When you are old you will say 'at least I lived an interesting life' ha ha!

PM me if you want to ask any more specifically female related questions!!

Back