What To Bring When Moving From Europe To Argy

Girino

Registered
Chau a todos,

we are organizing our mudanza from Italy to BsAs, which is going to take place on next May.
I am a little worried about all of the stories I heard about some goods not being available in BsAs, or at least not up to a EU/US standard in terms of quality.
Even smaller things such as "Can I find a Samsung toner in BsAs?" require some research on the Internet (which returns very little as far as online shopping in Argentina, btw), and I am really getting stressed - if not frustrated - by all of the these small things I never had to bother about at home.

Sometimes I am under the impression that moving to BsAs is like going into the mouth of Pinocchio's whale: once you're in, you cannot get out, and only selected stuff can come in after that, but you don't know what/how/when.
We don't have much stuff here because we rented a partially furnished place, so we have very little of our own - a couch, 2 office chairs (IKEA), 2 bookcases (IKEA), some lamps (IKEA), cookware, a dishwasher (Bosch), a washer (Bosch), a desk, two stools. Everything is less than 2 years old, so we'd rather not throw it away, however I have no idea how much furnitures cost in BsAs and if they are at least "nice" as anywhere else in the civilized world (to be honest, wherever I went I saw cheap/old/crappy furnitures, but maybe it was just bad luck).

So, what's your suggestion about what to bring and what not?
Also, we are paying a visit to the US on Feb/Mar and I was thinking to purchase some electronics there (a camera, an iPad, a mobile phone) before moving to BsAs (- OR -before becoming embargoed in Argentina).

My boyfriend is from BsAs so he's more on the "can't wait to get there" mood and every week that passes, he'd like to anticipate our departure, jumping up and down across the house like an excited child. I am a little lost here with all of the paperworks, boxes and a house to pack - we don't even know where we are going to stay (depto/casa, amueblado/vacio?).
I just realize I am gonna miss LOTS of thing once the great-doors of EZE close behind me, so I'd like to be prepared and bring what I cannot find in Argentina.

Your suggestions are welcomed and much appreciated. Thank you!

Patience, a sense of humour and dollars. Assume you speak Italian, learn as much Spanish (castellano) from your OH as you can before you come also.

That might seem throwaway or tongue in cheek, but it really isn't.

Good quality sheets, don't worry about pillows and comforters you can buy good ones here. Your favorite knives and pans if you cook. Look around you home for things that you love, probably won't find as good quality here, take it.
Nancy

Chau a todos,
We don't have much stuff here because we rented a partially furnished place, so we have very little of our own - a couch, 2 office chairs (IKEA), 2 bookcases (IKEA), some lamps (IKEA), cookware, a dishwasher (Bosch), a washer (Bosch), a desk, two stools. Everything is less than 2 years old, so we'd rather not throw it away, however I have no idea how much furnitures cost in BsAs and if they are at least "nice" as anywhere else in the civilized world (to be honest, wherever I went I saw cheap/old/crappy furnitures, but maybe it was just bad luck).

I am not sure it is worth the trouble and expense shipping Ikea furniture to Argentina. There is actually decent hand made wood furniture available from carpenters that is not too expensive (no Ikea prices though).
Regarding the appliances: You would probably have a difficult time finding Bosch appliances here. But brands like LG, Samsung etc. are widely available. With the current exchange rates it might make sense to sell them in Italy, take the cash with you, exchange it here and buy a new appliances here. As an example: a decent Samsung front loader, 7kg, 1200 PRM costs around 5000 pesos here = 500 USD blue. Not that bad compared to prices in Europe.

Also, we are paying a visit to the US on Feb/Mar and I was thinking to purchase some electronics there (a camera, an iPad, a mobile phone) before moving to BsAs (- OR -before becoming embargoed in Argentina).

That is probably a good idea. Especially the Apple products are quite expensive here (and in neighboring countries). Also local telcos do not sell iPhones.

You are allowed to bring stuff to Argentina, tax free, within 6 months of you moving here. So if you start missing something, you can always get your stuff sent (like furniture) to you within that amount of time.

Oh yeah. Furniture here stinks. You have the option of getting it made according to what you like but that will always be more expensive than the crappy already made stuff. Its not that its terrible quality, it just still feels like the 1960s whenever you go to a furniture store. If you can bring your furniture over for free or for a small amount of money, then bring it over. I would, however, focus more on electronic stuff like TVs, computers etc.

As you are going to the US later though, you can buy a lot of the electronics stuff from there.

PS: Don't be offended when you say "chau" to people to say hello and they kiss you on your cheek and walk away since here it means "good bye". But I'm sure you knew that already :p

Well as Nico says, if you can bring your 'household' stuff here in a removal container tax free within 6 months, make the most of it.
I know I would.

PS...it's Argentina NOT Argy.

We bought some pretty well made furniture here, i would disagree quite strongly that it stinks. Yes, you have to know where to look, and yes, it can be expensive, but the furniture is not universally bad.

Bring cash, lots of cash in dollars or Euros. Once you get here it´s hard to get more. And dollars currently fetch 10+ pesos on the black market, as opposed to the 6.50 you get at the change houses.

Good luck.

Antique furniture here is great. Even "mid century modern" furniture is very good, and cheap, used. And its all solid wood.
What stinks is cheap carboard and sawdust knocktogether stuff like Ikea sells.
My guess is, if you still like Ikea, you arent very old. Because after 5 to 10 years, Ikea furniture just falls apart. Usually Ikea furniture cannot withstand being dissassembled and reassembled more than twice, before it leans and wheezes.

Back