What to do about construction next door?

candrews

Registered
I own a small apartment in Recoleta. They are constructing a building next door which will result in plugging my bathroom and some kitchen windows and significantly cut down on our light. The consortium of the building doesn't seem willing or able to fight the builders or ask for compensation.

Does anyone know what my options could be to get compensation for this? Seems like a violation of my air and light space, but I don't know the local laws.

Anyone have any ideas?

You can "denunciarles" at the municipalidad. You should go down to your local registro civil, which should be able to help you.
Please don't expect much, though. Chances are, the architects/construction people have paid everyone off so its highly unlikely that anything will get done. We've been living next door to a construction site for over 3 years now... We've had builders come onto our terrace without permission. They built precarious "protectors" that they balanced on our adjoining wall, making our terrace unusuable and dangerous. They bashed away on the adjoining wall so much that we now have severe damp that has ruined the paintwork and caused chunks of plaster to fall off the wall...Not to mention the horrendous noise (at all hours).
We ended up having to go to a "mediation" session with the architects (over the structure and invasion of our terrace) which was a total waste of time. They ended up counter-denunciandonos (claiming that we had damaged the structure and threatened their builders!)...which was eventually thrown out of court.

candrews said:
I own a small apartment in Recoleta. They are constructing a building next door which will result in plugging my bathroom and some kitchen windows and significantly cut down on our light. The consortium of the building doesn't seem willing or able to fight the builders or ask for compensation.

Does anyone know what my options could be to get compensation for this? Seems like a violation of my air and light space, but I don't know the local laws.

Anyone have any ideas?

Yes this is not unusual - a regular occurrence in parts of the city which are identified for increasing density/higher buildings.

See Código de Planeamiento Urbano - http://mapa.buenosaires.gob.ar/

Sounds like the biggest problem is the communication internally within your building. Do you attend the administration meetings? Insist on formally raising and discussing the ongoing problems as there will be others who will agree with you.

The way it should work is that the neighbouring developer after obtaining consent contacts the building administrator and conducts a survey before building works starts. Best practice is to take lots of photos. As construction continues then any defects that appear should be reported using the line of communication already established preferably in writing and with dated photos.

You dont have any "air and light space" rights. Where did you get that idea from? Any openings in the return/side elevations were illegal when installed. Look around your neighbourhood

After construction is completed a defect list should be agreed and arrangements entered into to deal with reinstatement through the administrator. Further defects which arise within a reasonable period of time should be reported. Best to register these as early as possible and before the flats are all sold. Easy enough for the developer to skip and run and harder to take action over new owners if nothing has commenced.

As you say there are mediation arrangements which have been adopted similar to Spain. Building construction codes and enforcement on structural/safety issues have been tightened up considerably in my area at least since the well publicised construction tragedies.

Neighbourhood associations demanding to be involved in zoning arrangements are gradually becoming effective in different parts of the city.

If your building administrator has been deficient then it is easy enough to put pressure on them to improve their act including instructing one to act on every ones behalf as you dont want different professionals supposedly on the same side all arguing between themselves and also you want to share the costs as it is legitimately a problem for the whole building. Use an architect/surveyor/civil engineer depending on the issues.

Building administrators are often in as a sinecure making promises to keep down costs unless the owners are really worried about resale value and want action taken. More often than not they can be identified as dipping into funds for "expenses" so start to work on that. Another good place to pick on are the lifts - are the inspections being made? Start to put up official looking signs in the lift about safety and how you having reported it means you are absolved of your legal obligations which now will fall on the other owners/tenants should someone sue. The other owners will start to listen to you as they are all frightened of things like that. That brings them to heel.

Illegitimis non carborundum

I have been dealing with same problem for years, in my case the main problem was noise and workers walking all over my roof, which had new membrane on it. Finally reported it when they did damage to my apartment.

You don't need to go anywhere. Just call 147. They will send a city inspector. He will check if they are up to code, and make note of the damages. With that you can take it to mediation, but it is a slow process and you need persistence.

This is actually the adminstrator's job and what you are paying them for, but if they don't take an interest you can do this yourself.

The first thing is to start documentating the damages. Its true that the architects pay the inspectors bribes which may help them avert fines, but if you have it documented you have leverage and there are processes in place to deal with it.

I am in a similar situation with a building being constructed on the adjacent lot. Even though there will remain a gap between the buildings, pictures were taken inside our apartment in the presence of an escribano. It was explained that this was common procedure to collect evidence for -rather unlikely- structural failures caused by the excavation works. I am not sure if pictures taken by yourself would be sufficient evidence...

Back