What will the Dollar be worth End 2020.!

Depends on what you mean by "performing worse." Argentina has consistently had the second largest economy on the continent, third in Latin America, and ranks second highest in the latest Human Development Index Ranking. It also In other words, even while performing poorly, it's still doing considerably better than most of its neighbors.

No twisting invlolved, it's in the World Bank and UN data. But that's not going to stop people from shouting that Argentina is the next Somalia.
I do not say that the HDI is rubbish. It says something beyond pure USD / monetary indices, but it is probably more suited as a long term KPI and not really meaningful for short term developments (otherwise I would like to see you in La Matanza explaining to Brian and Jessi that according to the UN HDI they are doing fairly well and that they should not be worried about having no jobs, no money, and barely food on the table).

And when I say that Argentina is performing very badly (actually after Venezuela the worst performing on the continent), then this doe not imply that I consider the quality of living inferior to other countries (especially compared to Paraguay, Bolivia etc). It is just that Argentina for decades was economically (and mentality wise) a world apart on this continent. Nowadays it is probably a still above average Latin American country, but with a very strong, negative trend.

A big day for Martín Guzmán: Super Tuesday!

This modern day version of Houdini, who is trying to tame Dollar and inflation while - against all economic laws - increasing public deficit ("reducir el deficit? Porque?") and printing money around the clock, is announcing new measures today to stop the free fall of the Peso.

So far, his endeavors were not really successful. In fact, whenever he tried to calm the markets over the last weeks, actually whenever he opened his mouth, the exact opposite happened and the gap between official and market rate widened every time. I am looking forward to the press conference today to see whether he can turn things around.

Is his job at risk? No! He is not an ordinary football manager who gets sacked after six straight defeats. Luckily, he has got the backing of his boss. And we all know that Alberto is a man of honor, integrity and always true to his word.

Maybe Guzman's Press conference has less effect than CFK's letter?

Another Argentinian First of a kind in the World VP criticizes government and Ministros . A sort of Good Cop Bad Cop ..! or a political trick to demonstrate that Alberto is not a Puppet . They go on separate tracks..?

Now take Uruguay, you have a country that has a strong social net, high quality health care, decent public education. You have a more stable economy, currency, lower crime rates, smaller population.

I don't know about other South American countries, but am familiar with Uruguay.

Social mobility is zero, crime rates have climbed, and public health care is dismal. True, the economy is stable - stably depressed. It is a heavily - HEAVILY - unionized country, much afflicted with strikes, work stoppages, and regulations designed to prevent firings, which end up preventing hiring. No one hires an employee unless in desperate straits, as shedding them is all but impossible.

In a town near my place there used to be seven manufacturing plants, producing small electric appliances, coats, jeans, dairy products etc. Over the past twenty years, labor troubles were such that they closed, one by one. Now, only the meat packing plant remains active, working half shifts. The other plants lie vacant, covered in hand painted union signs and slogans. The dairy plant went through four owners before shutting off permanently. The local population now lives off government handouts. Taxes have increased exponentially, which discourages new enterprise.

It is the same throughout the Colonia Department. In Juan Lacaze, the textile mill closed, and so did the paper mill. Ditto in Colonia del Sacramento, where the giant Sudamtex plant has been shuttered for over forty years. An Argentine textile mill owner was offered the plant for free, in exchange for providing jobs. He went to Colonia, looked around, talked to government officials and union representatives, and declined the offer.

Having said that, Uruguay remains a great country to go on vacation, and to retire. People are polite, and the air is clean. Much more expensive than Argentina but worth it, as foreign income is not taxable.

That's what I know first-hand about my corner of Uruguay. Punta del Este's area of influence is a whole different country.

I think the risk frequent power outages, constant labor strikes, rising crime, shitty customer service, shitty internet, expensive mobile data plans, limited product availability due to import restrictions and overall institutional instability might be a deal killer to a lot of potential expats.

Cam, if you don't mind me asking, do you actually live in Argentina right now?

I don't know about other South American countries, but am familiar with Uruguay.

Social mobility is zero, crime rates have climbed, and public health care is dismal. True, the economy is stable - stably depressed. It is a heavily - HEAVILY - unionized country, much afflicted with strikes, work stoppages, and regulations designed to prevent firings, which end up preventing hiring. No one hires an employee unless in desperate straits, as shedding them is all but impossible.

In a town near my place there used to be seven manufacturing plants, producing small electric appliances, coats, jeans, dairy products etc. Over the past twenty years, labor troubles were such that they closed, one by one. Now, only the meat packing plant remains active, working half shifts. The other plants lie vacant, covered in hand painted union signs and slogans. The dairy plant went through four owners before shutting off permanently. The local population now lives off government handouts. Taxes have increased exponentially, which discourages new enterprise.

It is the same throughout the Colonia Department. In Juan Lacaze, the textile mill closed, and so did the paper mill. Ditto in Colonia del Sacramento, where the giant Sudamtex plant has been shuttered for over forty years. An Argentine textile mill owner was offered the plant for free, in exchange for providing jobs. He went to Colonia, looked around, talked to government officials and union representatives, and declined the offer.

Having said that, Uruguay remains a great country to go on vacation, and to retire. People are polite, and the air is clean. Much more expensive than Argentina but worth it, as foreign income is not taxable.

That's what I know first-hand about my corner of Uruguay. Punta del Este's area of influence is a whole different country.

Interesting, I was told it was good, but I've never personally used it, I take your word though. I guess Argentina is a better country to be poor in then from what you describe.

Uruguay's astonishingly good press lured many into settling there. Takes about three years for them to shed their rose-colored glasses and return home.

Uruguay's astonishingly good press lured many into settling there. Takes about three years for them to shed their rose-colored glasses and return home.

I've spent some time there but not more than a couple weeks at a time, and I know you can't really get to know a country too well from such short visits. I did see a lot of rural poverty.

I want to know who they hiring to do their PR. Bravo to them.

And yet the Parrilla La Soñada, on Maipu 1st block north of Cordoba, (Microcentro, 3 blocks east of 9 de Julio), is still selling a great Vaciopan for 280 pesos with papas fritas, or 230 without. It boggles the mind that you can get big slabs of good beef, smoking hot off the grill, cooked right in front of you, for what? Less than a buck and a half, with fries? The Bife de Chorizo is 500 pesos, whoooo, 2.50 USD

I leave the parrillero a 100 peso tip and he politely says thank you, looking at me like I am stark raving insane, but it's 50 cents to me. But he always makes me a real nice sandwich.
Today I was in microcentro and I went there. Great also that you can sit outside. Thanks for the tip

Two things -

First, for a cheap laugh, go back and look at the first post in this thread, from June. Various people were predicting what the dolar blue would be at by end of year, and the high estimate was 102.

Second, the blue right now is showing at 163-169, which is down by roughly 15% from where it was five or six days ago. Have you people ever heard the phrase, "dead cat bounce" ?

Back