What will the Dollar be worth End 2020.!

hands down - Argentina

Most of the people commenting here have zero idea whats happening in South America

He said neighbors. Both Uruguay and Chile have much higher social mobility scores than Argentina. Brazil is slightly lower because northern Brazil remains really poor and it drags down the index. But if you compare Argentina with the southern half of Brazil (from Brasilia down), the more populated part of the country has a higher social mobility score. So in terms of social mobility, we can affirm that Argentina today is doing objectively better than Paraguay and Bolivia. Is this something to brag about? I would not, specially considering that not that long ago, Argentina was the exceptional success story in Latin America and the huge development chasm that used to separate it from all other countries around it.

antipodean said:
where you would have a better chance at a better future if you were poor - Argentina or one of its neighbours?
hands down - Argentina

Most of the people commenting here have zero idea whats happening in South America

Depends which country.

Take Paraguay for example. The economy is more stable, low inflation, high growth rates, the minimum wage is probably higher at the moment than Argentina...but the public education is a joke, the healthcare is horrible, public transportation equals rusted out buses. You have no future in either country. I'd rather be poor in Argentina.

Now take Uruguay, you have a country that has a strong social net, high quality health care, decent public education. You have a more stable economy, currency, lower crime rates, smaller population. In that case, Uruguay would be better to be poor.

hands down - Argentina

Most of the people commenting here have zero idea what's happening in South America
Am curious to understand the logic behind this and open to different ideas. The key objective is having a better tomorrow to become not (as) poor as you are today - not just staying alive at the price of staying as poor as today.

For example, you are born and grow up in a shack on a dirt street in La Matanza or rural Jujuy that lacks even basic sanitation. It is all you have ever known.
You go to a very basic public school in a poor area and come out of it computer illiterate and unable to access free higher education as a result of uncompetitive grades and / or other barriers such as cost of transport and inability to live for free without being forced into low paid work that consumes all of your time and is more likely than not to be precarious. Even then there are often times when your kitchen cupboard is empty as your pesos rarely last until the end of the month. You then think to start your own business to finally get ahead in life.
You want to start saving a few of your pesos from your job but they evaporate before you have enough to buy your start-up materials, assuming they don't get robbed from you.
You want to get a loan but are outside of the financial system so banks won't even look at you and if they do, want a crazy amount of interest. That is assuming you even think to ask them since no one has ever taught you what it takes to open a business in Argentina. Assuming you get lucky and run into some startup cash, given the amount of paperwork, legal and notarial fees, and efforts involved in registering and starting a business "en blanco" and need to prove sources of funds to be able to do anything, its probably only financially possible to do it "en negro" meaning the first storm that hits, you are outside the safety net of the state, not eligible for your 6 months of unemployment benefits, and worse still, subject to penalties and effectively being put on a "black-list" for doing it "en negro" that will keep you indebted and locked out of the financial system for years/decades to come.

How and where exactly do you make the leap for a better future other than sheer luck?

My logic is that at least in Brazil or Chile, I can work my butt off and over time, perhaps a lot of time, save my money to build a future for myself as well as take advantage of various programs provided by the state without having as many obstacles from the state stopping me at every turn.
First and foremost, if I have access to money that can hold its value, I have options with or without the state.

Am curious to understand.

At least in Brazil or Chile, I can work my butt off and over time, perhaps a lot of time, save my money to build a future for myself as well as take advantage of various programs provided by the state without having as many obstacles from the state stopping me at every turn.
First and foremost, if I have access to money that can hold its value, I have options with or without the state.

In your dreams.

I hate to sound like a carpet bagger, but Argentina's problems will make it possible to sock away my pension while living on Social Security. 5 years or more of that will provide a nice supplement to live back in the States if my wife so chooses after I die. I intend to live out my days in Argentina if possible. I'm sure everyone would like to see Argentina do better for the sake of its citizens but if a government refuses to implement policies that makes that possible, if its citizens won't vote in a government that makes that possible, if the dollar blue is the reality for years to come, then instead of getting angry over it why not take advantage of the opportunity that's available if you have a hard currency income? I see people on other country forums trying to find a good deal but don't want to consider Argentina because it's having economic problems. They're not recognizing a great opportunity staring at them. But money isn't everything I guess but they don't seem to get time spent in Argentina means more savings to pursue interests elsewhere. Now if the virus would just go away.

I see people on other country forums trying to find a good deal but don't want to consider Argentina because it's having economic problems.

I think the risk frequent power outages, constant labor strikes, rising crime, shitty customer service, shitty internet, expensive mobile data plans, limited product availability due to import restrictions and overall institutional instability might be a deal killer to a lot of potential expats.

I think the expensive mobile data plans might be a deal killer to a lot of potential expats.
expensive mobile data plans -- ja ja..what a joke! data plans here are cheapest on the planet especially for world wide roaming.

expensive mobile data plans -- ja ja..what a joke! data plans here are cheapest on the planet especially for world wide roaming.

Argentina ranks #62 in worldwide data plan affordability. Chile ranks #20 and Brazil ranks #38.

SOURCE

I think the risk frequent power outages, constant labor strikes, rising crime, shitty customer service, shitty internet, expensive mobile data plans, limited product availability due to import restrictions and overall institutional instability might be a deal killer to a lot of potential expats.
I'm counting on Starlink satellite internet greatly improving that situation soon. I've spent about 5 months total in Mexico and Colombia and don't see a huge improvement over what Argentina offers.

I'm counting on Starlink satellite internet greatly improving that situation soon. I've spent about 5 months total in Mexico and Colombia and don't see a huge improvement over what Argentina offers.

Carlos Slim owns the telecom market in Mexico, so no hope there. I'll take your word on Colombia.

Back