What would you bring to Argentina with you?

plan on bringing an electric salad chopper and food bag vacuum sealer
Most digital electronic devices which have an external AC to DC transformer so will work here. Even if the transformer say 120v AC it will work (though might die early), and are easy to replace here. The two things you mention probably have a motor or pump, so if they are from USA or any 120v country they will burn up immediately here. You say coming from China, so perhaps you should investigate more for all applliances and electronics. The Hz and other specs I do not have experience or knowledge to answer. Same answer about your drill and lamps, though probably can find here at only slightly more expensive price.

Glad wrap /w serrated edge
Yes, glad wrap here is not super, but I find it is sufficient. What is well below quality grade, is aluminum foil. Lots of people says herbs and spices are difficult to find, but if you search mercadoLibre you will find. specialty sauces are bit more difficult, or seem overpriced.

there is lots of good advice above and in the past about how to make phone calls. If you want similar to regular hardline phone service to call numbers in your old home country then signup and bring your own hardware VOIP router. if comfortable with easy tech solutions then at least signup for home country virtual phone service. Google Voice is the one that is mentioned the most because it is ideal for calling or SMS to USA. Bring a Wi-Fi router, or mesh Wi-Fi router system.

Most of the kitchen and house items can eventually be found. I used to think not, but there are kitchen supply places that do have higher quality things. A “Bazar” is kitchen supply store, and some are sufficient and very common, though take time to find the ones that will have the thing you like. Look for bazar items on mercadoLibre to get an idea. Still I am very glad I brought the cast iron and all-clad stainless pans that I use everyday.

Last edited:
Upon reading your reply I immediately started reading up on the CS card. May I ask why you personally recommend it? From some quick research, I was thinking because of it's no ATM withdraws and foreign transaction fee benefits, which seems like it's main advantage, but now I'm confused because I thought withdrawing USD from ATMs (which would be received in pesos) should be altogether avoided due to it using the official exchange rate (as opposed to blue which could be almost double). So unless you can withdraw the actual USD, then you'd end up losing money from the exchange rate, no? What am I missing for this to make sense?
You are totally right. No ATM fees is the main advantage and currently that isn’t useful in Argentina, But once you run out of the dollars you bring, you have the possibility to go to Uruguay to get several thousand dollars from ATMs (you have to call them on the day you want to make the withdrawal). Also you can use it to withdraw Euros if you travel to Europe (which beats buying them at a cueva here). Buy international airline tickets without paying a credit card foreign transaction fees and the MEP conversion rate. It gives you options for saving money if you travel to other countries. The card has no annual fee, but you do have to open a brokerage account.

Last edited:
What about things like lotions and skin care products (eye creams, sunscreen, face wash), deodorant, hair care products (for untamely curly hair - think black afro, hair/scalp oils), kitchen utensils (silverware, spatulas, cheese graters), notebooks, pens/pencils, lamps (count as electronic?), supplements like vitamin C and multi-vitamins, plastic food containers (Tupperware), pillows, power drill (corded), foot powder, ... that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

I don't think you need to worry about generic vitamins and supplements, or sunscreen, creams, deodorants, etc. unless you need something very specific. There's a good selection, often locally produced, in Farmacity and Farmaplus, both in Cordoba (you can browse their websites). I was going to say the something similar about Afro hair products, there are lots of people from the Caribbean, as well as some from Africa in Buenos Aires, so the products used by black Colombians, Venezuelans, Cubans, Haitians, Dominicans, etc can be found, but I don't know how it would be in Cordoba.

Stainless steel cookware - the pots in Argentina are very low quality and pricey at that. If you do cook at home the heavy bottom ones are a must - especially if you already have them. You can's stock up on Saran and aluminum wraps forever, nor are those as indispensable as good pots, and the pots will last decades. Linens and towels are not only expensive, but are very hard and rough comparing to what we are used to. High quality down pillows / duvets and silk filled blankets for the warmer months - can't find them here. Common sense would dictate a preference for long lasting items as opposed to consumable ones...

If in doubt, search MercadoLibre (our version of Amazon) and see what kinds of local products and prices exist in the market down here. Then if you can't find it or feel the prices don't represent value you will know what you need to bring.

(PS Tupperware and just about anything kitchen related are heinously expensive and bad quality here, bring your kitchen with you).

For good quality saran wrap and aluminum foil I recommend going to "papeleras" where they sell them by bigger quantites and much better quality then what you find in supermarkets. Its a huge difference, I could never go back to supermarket foil, it breaks by looking at it.

Most digital electronic devices which have an external AC to DC transformer so will work here. Even if the transformer say 120v AC it will work (though might die early), and are easy to replace here. The two things you mention probably have a motor or pump, so if they are from USA or any 120v country they will burn up immediately here. You say coming from China, so perhaps you should investigate more for all applliances and electronics. The Hz and other specs I do not have experience or knowledge to answer. Same answer about your drill and lamps, though probably can find here at only slightly more expensive price.

Bring a Wi-Fi router, or mesh Wi-Fi router system.

Most of the kitchen and house items can eventually be found. I used to think not, but there are kitchen supply places that do have higher quality things. A “Bazar” is kitchen supply store, and some are sufficient and very common, though take time to find the ones that will have the thing you like. Look for bazar items on mercadoLibre to get an idea. Still I am very glad I brought the cast iron and all-clad stainless pans that I use everyday.
China and Argentina use the same voltage, so we'll be safe when it comes to plugging things in. They also share 2 of 3 outlet types, and we're bring a dozen little converters to take care of any that don't match just to be safe. Will be bring my router for sure. Unfortunately I don't thin we can fit a large and heavy set of cast iron and stainless steal pans, so I'll be definitely be taking your advice on looking for bazars. Thanks for the tip.

You are totally right. No ATM fees is the main advantage and currently that isn’t useful in Argentina, But once you run out of the dollars you bring, you have the possibility to go to Uruguay to get several thousand dollars from ATMs (you have to call them on the day you want to make the withdrawal). Also you can use it to withdraw Euros if you travel to Europe (which beats buying them at a cueva here). Buy international airline tickets without paying a credit card foreign transaction fees and the MEP conversion rate. It gives you options for saving money if you travel to other countries. The card has no annual fee, but you do have to open a brokerage account.

We'll be in Cordoba so I don't think it'll be easy for us to pop over to Uruguay when we need some dollars. Nevertheless, it still sounds like a good idea, just to know that if there ever does come a time I need to withdraw, I don't have to worry about transaction and ATM fees. Have you used it to purchase things directly? Does it use the official or the MEP? I've been reading a lot on the forums and it seems "some" cards are starting to use MEP, which is closer to blue (correct me if I'm wrong), albeit sometimes in rebates/credit back later. Either way I'll check it out, thanks!

I don't think you need to worry about generic vitamins and supplements, or sunscreen, creams, deodorants, etc. unless you need something very specific. There's a good selection, often locally produced, in Farmacity and Farmaplus, both in Cordoba (you can browse their websites). I was going to say the something similar about Afro hair products, there are lots of people from the Caribbean, as well as some from Africa in Buenos Aires, so the products used by black Colombians, Venezuelans, Cubans, Haitians, Dominicans, etc can be found, but I don't know how it would be in Cordoba.

OK thanks. So far I haven't found anything related to black hair products on ML (then again, I don't really know what to search for, the names of common brands for black hair care products didn't come up with anything nor did translations that I tried), so I might have to bring a couple months supply and hope I can find a local source once I arrived. I'll ask around in a Cordoba forum I found though.

Stainless steel cookware - the pots in Argentina are very low quality and pricey at that. If you do cook at home the heavy bottom ones are a must - especially if you already have them. You can's stock up on Saran and aluminum wraps forever, nor are those as indispensable as good pots, and the pots will last decades. Linens and towels are not only expensive, but are very hard and rough comparing to what we are used to. High quality down pillows / duvets and silk filled blankets for the warmer months - can't find them here. Common sense would dictate a preference for long lasting items as opposed to consumable ones...
Already decided we'll have to forego the cookware unfortunately, just too bulky and heavy. We already decided to take beddings, sheets, etc, (although still thinking if it's worth bringing pillows, they might be too big) which can also double as padding and protection for more valuable things during transit, so win-win there. Here's hoping carride's suggestions about finding a good set in a bazar pans out.

If in doubt, search MercadoLibre (our version of Amazon) and see what kinds of local products and prices exist in the market down here. Then if you can't find it or feel the prices don't represent value you will know what you need to bring.

(PS Tupperware and just about anything kitchen related are heinously expensive and bad quality here, bring your kitchen with you).
Perfect, great tip, definitely adding Tupperware to the bring list. I've been doing the ML search tip for weeks now - ironically I've found very few of the things I've searched for on it, or if I have they've been for ridiculously expensive amounts, but I'm relying on a English-Spanish dictionary for the search terms so I don't put much faith in the results either. But that's why I'm here, kinda confirming these suspicions about what's worth bringing or not.

Added more to list of what to bring, took notes on some location/places to go to to look for things, and now more aware how to prepare. If anyone thinks of any other random/various things they wish they would have brought (or wants to bring in the future) because it's hard to find or too expensive there, please feel free to post, as every little bit helps. In the meantime, thanks again everyone, you've been of massive help. If you're in Cordoba come July, beers/wine on me. :)

Have you used it to purchase things directly? Does it use the official or the MEP?
Yes, for international travel, not for domestic purchases. I don't know if the MEP rate would be used or not because it is a debit card. I just tried to call Visa global, but couldn't get an answer. If you get the services quoted in dollars, I imagine that they will transfer dollars from your account. If the quote is in Argentine pesos, you may get the MEP rate.

I wouldn't worry too much about pots and pans, if you want something better than the standard Tramontana that's used all over South America, you could try Essen: www.essen.com.ar, or @essenofficial on IG. Essen use independent salespeople, like Avon.

Tramontana is good enough for most purposes, their cutlery is also very popular, and kitchen knives etc. can be got from Boker (https://www.bokerarbolito.com.ar), all on ML as well.

Back