What would you bring to Argentina with you?

Yes, for international travel, not for domestic purchases. I don't know if the MEP rate would be used or not because it is a debit card. I just tried to call Visa global, but couldn't get an answer. If you get the services quoted in dollars, I imagine that they will transfer dollars from your account. If the quote is in Argentine pesos, you may get the MEP rate.
I was able to confirm with someone via PM that the CS card does in fact use the MEP rate for purchases, so it it looks like there's pretty much no reason not to get one at this point. I'll definitely be picking one up. Thank you for the advice!

I wouldn't worry too much about pots and pans, if you want something better than the standard Tramontana that's used all over South America, you could try Essen: www.essen.com.ar, or @essenofficial on IG. Essen use independent salespeople, like Avon.

Tramontana is good enough for most purposes, their cutlery is also very popular, and kitchen knives etc. can be got from Boker (https://www.bokerarbolito.com.ar), all on ML as well.
Thanks, location/site bookmarked. Will definitely be looking for pots and pans once I'm there, although I do plan on bringing our own knife set.

Cosmetics if you want a specific brand
Thanks, I'll make sure to tell my wife. ;)

I was able to confirm with someone via PM that the CS card does in fact use the MEP rate for purchases, so it it looks like there's pretty much no reason not to get one at this point. I'll definitely be picking one up. Thank you for the advice!
I wasn't very clear about the MEP rate. For purchases within Argentina you will get the MEP rate on most Visa and Master Card purchases. You should try to avoid using a foreign credit card. Instead use Western Union and pay for purchases in pesos. Today's WU rate is around 452 minus fees, the MEP rate is around 430. For foreign travel, if the price is in dollars, you should be able to use the CS debit to pay in dollars without a conversion rate or any fees.

Other important considerations are what country are you coming from? How long are you planning to live here? How often will you be returning there to visit? How often will you have friends or relatives coming here to visit. If you know people with be visiting you, they can bring the things that you need. If you plan to return to visit in the near future, you can bing the things that you didn't think about.

Unfortunately I don't thin we can fit a large and heavy set of cast iron and stainless steal pans, so I'll be definitely be taking your advice on looking for bazars.
If you have a favorite I recommend you bring at least one good stainless pan. You will probably never find comparable stainless cookware here. Most stainless is too thin to distribute and hold heat evenly, though may find something adequate. The best replacement here is enameled cast iron “hierro fundido enlozado” which is good for all (plus more) the same type of cooking you do in thick stainless, but yes heavier. Then simple black cast iron is here for almost everything without acid. There is no stainless clad of light aluminum. Also I do not know if there is carbon steel that is typically used to make quality crepe pan or a decent wok, though could be. There are a few thick heavy aluminum cookware sets like Essen, that since not clad with stainless there is debate in other countries to use for edible foods, definely not something acidic (lemon, vinegar or tomatoes)

Chile is a reliable quick flight from Cordoba as a nice country to visit, and to restock on many products which are not found here.

Last edited:
If you plan on becoming a mate drinker, bring a Stanley 1.1 quart thermos. It's $25 in the US, but about $90 here

If you plan on becoming a mate drinker, bring a Stanley 1.1 quart thermos. It's $25 in the US, but about $90 here
all stanley thermos sold in the US are made in China, most in the same factories the non-Stanley brand ones are.
Me, I buy termos in Argentina and bring them back north, to pour my mate water. Cant get a decent mate pouring lid here.
The whole Stanley thing in Argentina is brand snobbery, kinda like Patagonia coats or Nike shoes, where Argentines pay double or triple for the name. I use 1/2 liter and 1 liter termos both in Argentina and in the USA, and they are just fine.
Sure, I could buy Swell or Zojirushi for triple the cost, and they would undoubtedly be better, but my 4000 peso models are functionally the same- the water is hot, they dont leak, and they are double wall stainless.
I wonder if Gucci makes a thermos?

all stanley thermos sold in the US are made in China, most in the same factories the non-Stanley brand ones are.
Me, I buy termos in Argentina and bring them back north, to pour my mate water. Cant get a decent mate pouring lid here.
The whole Stanley thing in Argentina is brand snobbery, kinda like Patagonia coats or Nike shoes, where Argentines pay double or triple for the name. I use 1/2 liter and 1 liter termos both in Argentina and in the USA, and they are just fine.
Sure, I could buy Swell or Zojirushi for triple the cost, and they would undoubtedly be better, but my 4000 peso models are functionally the same- the water is hot, they dont leak, and they are double wall stainless.
I wonder if Gucci makes a thermos?
I have both a Stanley and a Zojirushi. Zojirushi works great and I can't really tell which one is better, but reviews from the NYTimes give Stanley an edge in terms of temperature retention. Zojirushi is more expensive, but I think more elegant. Stanley is much more robust and seems like it can survive a tumble off of a mountain.

I drink my mate at a medium temp, well below boiling, and I drink all the water long before temperature retention could be a problem. And I am way past my falling off a mountain days. Ordinary termos work just fine for me, and I have some nice cheap argentine purchased ones that are years and years old, and they still work just fine.
Methinks you are overthinking this just a bit.

I wasn't very clear about the MEP rate. For purchases within Argentina you will get the MEP rate on most Visa and Master Card purchases. You should try to avoid using a foreign credit card. Instead use Western Union and pay for purchases in pesos. Today's WU rate is around 452 minus fees, the MEP rate is around 430. For foreign travel, if the price is in dollars, you should be able to use the CS debit to pay in dollars without a conversion rate or any fees.

Other important considerations are what country are you coming from? How long are you planning to live here? How often will you be returning there to visit? How often will you have friends or relatives coming here to visit. If you know people with be visiting you, they can bring the things that you need. If you plan to return to visit in the near future, you can bing the things that you didn't think about.
Ah right, understood. I had actually already planned on using that strategy - avoiding withdraws and credit cards if at all possible and just using cash (WU and online transfers), but it's still nice to know the card can help me avoid excessive charges those times when I might need it.
We're coming from China, we plan on living there for at least four years if not longer, we don't plan on returning to our home countries or China within the next several years, nor will any friends or relatives visit us, so there's no chance we'll be in another situation to get outside things again anytime soon. So this is my only chance, gotta take it while I can.

If you have a favorite I recommend you bring at least one good stainless pan. You will probably never find comparable stainless cookware here. Most stainless is too thin to distribute and hold heat evenly, though may find something adequate. The best replacement here is enameled cast iron “hierro fundido enlozado” which is good for all (plus more) the same type of cooking you do in thick stainless, but yes heavier. Then simple black cast iron is here for almost everything without acid. There is no stainless clad of light aluminum. Also I do not know if there is carbon steel that is typically used to make quality crepe pan or a decent wok, though could be. There are a few thick heavy aluminum cookware sets like Essen, that since not clad with stainless there is debate in other countries to use for edible foods, definely not something acidic (lemon, vinegar or tomatoes)

Chile is a reliable quick flight from Cordoba as a nice country to visit, and to restock on many products which are not found here.
I'm out of my depth when it comes to cookware. Much of what you said is beyond me unfortunately. I'll give it another read over when I'm ready to buy a good set of pots and pans though. Quick trips to Chile sounds like a particularly great idea as well, I'll remember that, thanks.
Thanks for the heads up. Time for me to start looking into what mate is and if I think I should bring a thermos for it. 🤔

Back