What would YOU do??

Best thing you can do is learn a trade that you can do over the Internet; like web development. Whatever it is, I prefer to live poor somewhere I like than make a lot of money in a place I hate. Good luck!

brocolliandtea said:
Buenos Aires? Dont even consider it. Its a place to flee from, not move to. Nasty, dishonest people, garbage everywhere, thick clouds of pollution, soot in your apt. that coats everything hourly, broken sidewalks everywhere, inferior food, soaring prices, and a hopeless past as prelude history.

A very distorted view of Buenos Aires. Most expatriates find at least ONE thing they like about the place, but BT sees nothing but horrors.

This coming year will not be easy in Argentina, with runaway inflation and the dollar in the toilet. Consider Peru or Chile, which are booming right now. Try to learn a trade that will let you make a living here. Teaching English is not a very good option - too many expats do that, and competition is fierce.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck...!

It's a no-brainer Karma - get a few thousand dollars together and get yourself down here. It's no paradise, but it's not quite the hell-hole painted by B&T. Personally I'd head for Rio or somewhere in the north-east of Brasil, but you've tried BsAs once and loved it....maybe for you that's better than jumping feet-first into the unknown?

A million thanks everyone. You guy are definately an encouraging bunch. Alzinho, you maybe rite about Brazil (that was number 2 on my list!!) ... And Orwellian, I agree 100%. I dont hate the US, I just love other parts of the world a little bit better. But everything has its ups and downs!!

SaraSara, you are certainly correct about teaching! And JoeKelly, no I dont love it. So why waste the money getting the teaching certificate rite?!! ;-)

Thank you guys all a million. Guess im going to dive into the unknown and see where it gets me!!

Muchisima Gracias y Suerte!!

hey Karma.I have been here for over 5 years and I,ve never had any problems:I play tennis 3 times aweek,take my kids to the parks,go to many restaurants that DO cater for children.could I do that in England?NO WAY.I love my life here.I have met so many friends on BA Expats and I,ve had NO negative feedback from any of them,,just my two penneth...follow your heart and enjoy Argentina.it has so much to offer.good luck,regards Howard....

Follow your dream and learn patience. Ever thought of doing a stint in the Peace Corps? It is an experience of a lifetime and it will make your resume shine. Enjoy the journey.

if you dont have a bunch of bills and $ responsibilities and want to travel and see the world then send me a PM and can give you some advice.

Not to be a naysayer but what is it you are trying to accomplish. If you are just trying to extend your adolescence i.e. a couple of more years of college type party time then I don't see the point. If you are looking for something more mature and constructive, why not something like the Peace Corps. You need to start thinking where you want to be in ten years and start working on getting there now. You don't want to go back to the states at 30 and have nothing to put on a resume since college except I had a good time in Argentina.

If you can make any money as an English teacher it will almost certainly not be enough to survive on. Most of the people here stating that they enjoy Argentina are people who have a source of income from outside the country or are working for a foreign company from back home. You won't find to many happy campers who come here that try living and working on local wages.

I would suggest being methodical about your move, and doing some research first. How long do you want to live here? What type of career do you want to pursue? What did you major in? Many job skills can be transferred to Buenos Aires, but you do have to have some :)
Maybe try to get established in a career that lets you work from home (and preferably pays in dollars), or if you have a marketable skill/business idea, you can work for yourself as many ex-pats do. If you're interested in graduate school, many master's programs are completely online now, which would allow you to defer loans and earn your degree from a computer in Buenos Aires. DEFINITELY come down with savings if you don't plan on earning income right away. Sure, BsAs is cheap compared to the US, but I was 22 just a few years ago, and I know how fast the money can go when you're living up the city experience through dining, dancing, and traveling :)

Hi Karma,

As some one who finished college and have debt but made the move i'd like to share some experience:

Don't come here without a whole lot of savings, as much as you can get together.
I work online but the money is terrible. Depending on your exp you might get a better one.

I've lived my dream and it's changed me completly as a person so I say do it but don't come down here thinking you can make a living and live the lifestyle of a poor college student. its even expensive to do that at the minute!

I eat once a day and i'm still struggling.

So do it but get the facts of the situation and don't listen to people who you have no experience of in real life. If you were here then hopefully you have a few connections here already ask them straight out to give you the reality of the situation, no sugar coating.

Best of luck!

Back