What's A Seattlelite To Do..

Having lived for 17 years in Seattle, I can say it's a soulless place though beautiful. You are still in the recovery stage. Give yourself time...
I lived for half my life in Seattle and souless is not a word I'd ever associated with the place. I guess it'd depends on how you define 'soul'. Considering the size of the city (there are 20 larger cities in the US), I'd say we had more than our fair share of just about everything.

I can completely sympathize with the OP. 90% of the times I've felt home sick here it's been related to Buenos Aires vs Seattle and not Argentina vs US.

You are probably familiar with this topic then.
http://seattletimes....0213/cover.html

Even has a tidbit about an Argentine. I'm sure it is different for those who are born and raised here.

I grew up in the US south and found the culture in Seattle pretty much like the article.

My brother keeps trying to convince me to move to Seattle. It's beautiful, Pike street is great, it's rainy, humid, not too cold in the winter, and totally boring for someone who used to live in NYC and now resides in Buenos Aires. I don't know if it's a souless city so much as it's like a dry, bland cracker with no salt, or cheese or queso crema. I don't find it to be very diverse or mulit-cultural. I met so many Seattlelites that still don't understand the difference between Latin America, South America and Central America.

You are probably familiar with this topic then.
http://seattletimes....0213/cover.html

Even has a tidbit about an Argentine. I'm sure it is different for those who are born and raised here.

I grew up in the US south and found the culture in Seattle pretty much like the article.

That's a great article, well written and extremely on point.

I always knew the Seattle freeze was something I sorely missed, I just never had the name for it.

I met so many Seattlelites that still don't understand the difference between Latin America, South America and Central America.

Heh you think that's something? My new home is a city where 4 out of 5 people don't know the difference between Japan, China, Korea, Malaysia, etc.

I actually think Seattle is very multicultural these days, far more so than Buenos Aires. This is the political, cultural and financial capitol of the country and am involved in various activities that are related to being a foreigner and I still think I see less of a variety of foreign residents here than I did in Seattle. Of course that might not be too apparent to someone else because the culture is all behind the "freeze".

As of now, it is permanent. My husband and I decided to move here for a couple of years or so. He is Argentine, so all of his family is here. Luckily, I already speak spanish being of mexican decent, so my language barrier is minute.. I'm looking into continuing my education while I'm here. Hopefully once there, I start meeting new people and making new friends. I thought it would've been a smoother transition but a whole different country, new culture, and being so far from home got to me. ha, I totally agree on all those things getting annoying though. Not to mention the tv shows.. still don't understand their sense of humor :p

Taking classes is a great way to get out of the house and occupy the mind (not to mention learn new things!!!) My life/disposition has changed a lot since i started taking classes. They are various and well-priced here (compared to the states, especially!) Also lots of free options if you google "cursos gratuitos en buenos aires" Cooking, dance, yoga/meditation, huerta organica, writing, painting, photography... as long as you can understand Spanish there is so much to take advantage of! I recommend looking into classes now because most will probably start with the new 'semester' in August. PM me if you are interested in any of the above and I can point you in the right direction!!

My brother keeps trying to convince me to move to Seattle. It's beautiful, Pike street is great, it's rainy, humid, not too cold in the winter, and totally boring for someone who used to live in NYC and now resides in Buenos Aires. I don't know if it's a souless city so much as it's like a dry, bland cracker with no salt, or cheese or queso crema. I don't find it to be very diverse or mulit-cultural. I met so many Seattlelites that still don't understand the difference between Latin America, South America and Central America.

On your last point, I don't think that's a Seattle problem, I think that's a United States problem , and it applies to most places in the world that are not the United States, unfortunately.

The Seattle freeze article is interesting. My friend who lives in Portland says the same about that city - super friendly but distant people. I like the people here - they remind me more of the East Coast of the US where I grew up - possibly the Italian influence in both regions....

Having lived for 17 years in Seattle, I can say it's a soulless place though beautiful. You are still in the recovery stage. Give yourself time...

I grew up in the Northwest, and I can say Tacoma is a soulless place. Seattle, though, has an active cultural life to complement its geographical setting.

Back