What's Next With The Peso Devaluation?

Reneige

Registered
This follows on from my comments here from last night : http://baexpats.org/...ws/page__st__90. As I said, then the Peso is headed Way down and fast! Though I hadn't anticipated it would be this fast.

Currently the government has 29 billion dollars of foreign reserves. The government is commiting 10 billion to try to pay off the so called "paris club" of creditors who still own their defaulted bonds. That theoretically leaves 19 billion. However, in the past year Argentina has spent about 15 billion dollars in energy subsidies. When foreign reserves crossed the 30 billion point, the central bank and government knew it was game over. Those 30 billion needs to be preserved at all costs including the cost of allowing the peso to fall. Maybe that's why Cristina was in hiding for so long?

Today the central bank withdrew support for the currency on international markets, and according to FX traders, the slide was entirely demand driven, the central bank has stopped supplying dollars (source : http://www.ft.com/in...l#axzz2rGtRDKZs), As written in my previous post, this is equivalent technically to "black wednesday" in the UK in 1992. ((George Soros, where are you!? :p ))

If the central bank continues this policy, the peso will free fall toward the blue market rate. The problem is that international transactions were conducted at the official rate which when pegged to the US dollar effectively imposed US dollar inflation on international goods (to the extent that the peso was not allowed to devalue further pushing up the price of US dollar / international goods). Now there is no more inflation support for imports. Whilst Argentina has the potential to be an exporter of Australian calibre (think energy and materials) we all know that it is not. This country is incredibly dependent on imports. The result will inevitable be massive inflation as the prices of imports skyrocket in the devaluation. Basically, your energy bill is on it's way up. Basically anything you buy that contains materials or inputs of some sort that are purchased overseas, will eventually skyrocket in price as the peso plunges.

With the current insane monetary policy (effectively printing pesos to be transferred to the treasury so Cristina can buy votes with "social programs"), the government will have no way to curb domestic inflation, beyond the "imported" inflation that will occur with the devaluation. Furthermore, the plunge of the Peso will become exacerbated as people rush to get their money out of the country to protect it from the devaluation, a situation referred to as "Capital Flight". The government will probably impose further capital controls - ie, that thing you wanted to buy online will become even harder than it did yesterday, and don't even dream of trying to get your money out of the country.

This country is effectively headed for a massive recession, far beyond how bad it has been the past few years. All the years of economic mismanagement of the Kirchner governments is about to open like a can of worms. I think it could get really ugly, like civil unrest ugly. Especially if social programs are cut rapidly. The government has basically promised way more than it could offer, printed money and lied about the effects, and bought the votes of the economically illiterate. If all those promises suddenly get revoked, people may take to the streets. I have no idea if Argentinians are as fiery as Greeks, but if anybody can give me their 2 cents on that, I would be curious to know your thoughts.

These are all my predictions and by no means are guaranteed to happen. Argentina could miraculously become a net exporter in the massive devaluation, and thus solve it's woes quickly, but that seems pretty unlikely. I just wanted to share my thoughts on this.

As a newcomer to this country, I am concerned I will soon not be able to convert my foreign savings which are GBP denominated into Pesos, if the government goes Venezuela-style making it a criminal activity. Does anyone have any recommendations, should I try to convert money asap?

Cheers,

Reneige

Ill give you this link for an image of social unrest/fiery people: http://www.youtube.c...?v=0CzS6eHqtnQ. Im really not very good with economics, although im really interested in learning more about it, so im very interested in what people have to say about this.

48E.gif

giTHKno.gif

... If all those promises suddenly get revoked, people may take to the streets. I have no idea if Argentinians are as fiery as Greeks, but if anybody can give me their 2 cents on that, I would be curious to know your thoughts.
In 2001 and 2002 there were riots and violent demonstrations, but from what I observed in BsAs, they were almost all located in a few foci, like in front of Casa Rosada, near Obeslisco, in front of banks, anywhere where you could burn the usual car tires, etc. and similar in other towns. I did not have any problems in Puerto Madero.

As a newcomer to this country, I am concerned I will soon not be able to convert my foreign savings which are GBP denominated into Pesos, if the government goes Venezuela-style making it a criminal activity. Does anyone have any recommendations, should I try to convert money asap?
As you undubtedly know. no amount of rules, laws, etc. is able to stop the market forces, including the black market.

What is the best solution is totally individual, but as I exchange Foreign Currency in a cueva where the owner and I have common friends and have confidence in each other, I personally will exchange FC when I need pesos. If needed, he or his son and I can do business in one of our homes. The danger with exchanging all your FC ASAP is that after a week or two your e.g. AR$ x0,000 converted from US$ x,000 may have lost half their purchasing power.

In 2001 and 2002 there were riots and violent demonstrations, but from what I observed in BsAs, they were almost all located in a few foci, like in front of Casa Rosada, near Obeslisco, in front of banks, anywhere where you could burn the usual car tires, etc. and similar in other towns. I did not have any problems in Puerto Madero.

As you undubtedly know. no amount of rules, laws, etc. is able to stop the market forces, including the black market.

What is the best solution is totally individual, but as I exchange Foreign Currency in a cueva where the owner and I have common friends and have confidence in each other, I personally will exchange FC when I need pesos. If needed, he or his son and I can do business in one of our homes. The danger with exchanging all your FC ASAP is that after a week or two your e.g. AR$ x0,000 converted from US$ x,000 may have lost half their purchasing power.

Thanks for your thoughts on the market. I'm currently using Azimo which is just so convenient. I am only here for a couple months, but up until now I had been limiting the transactions to small amounts, which proved very prudent. I'm really torn about how to go about it. Furthermore, to access my savings I need to liquidate some investments each time which is painless but can take a few days to clear. Argg! Well I suppose worst case scenario, if the blue rate becomes illegal, as long as the official rate keeps sliding at it current speed, I can just hold out a few days and then use an ATM :p

All I know is that I sold a work equipiment for 20k pesos 3 days ago, immediatly bought tickets outta here and sent the rest via paypal out as well. CC closed yesterday so I might have "lost" a total of 3k pesos about equipment value, and about 1.5k pesos due to the paypal+EU-USA trip paid with local CC..
And yet I feel such a big relief, maybe it's the storm? Dunno. I just hope that there won't be any big social collapse a-la-late 80's/2001 but economically I think we are very close already. 50% in a year...25% in a few months...yikes. Good thing the guys interested in renting my place didn't take the deal on the table until 2 days ago (was fixed in pesos). AirBnB here I come.

PS: I'm not leaving because the big mess here. Actually think that it will be just ok to earn&live in pesos hanging in there for a year or so. But due to personal reasons (I think most here do) I travel and spend plenty of time overseas, that with having pesos as my main income, was starting to look impossible.

Reneige, your analisys forgets to take into consideration that the country had expendichures but also incomes. The international trader minus the imports are 9 billion a year.
A devaluación administrated migh increase exports and reduce imports.

http://www.pagina12.com.ar/diario/economia/2-238389-2014-01-24.html

Greeks are fierce? Really? Jajajaja.
Did his neo liberal President have to escape in helicópteros? Did they make fall half a dozen Presidents in one month? Did they default? Did they abandon the euro?

Reneige, your analisys forgets to take into consideration that the country had expendichures but also incomes. The international trader minus the imports are 9 billion a year.
A devaluación administrated migh increase exports and reduce imports.

http://www.pagina12....2014-01-24.html

As things stand right now, Argentina is losing dollar reserves at a rate of 1.1 billion dollars a month. Which would be somewhere around $13 billion dollars a year. Reduced imports and increased exports will change that, of course.

Yes I did. I noted that at the bottom. I said miraculously the trade deficit could improve. Although what exactly Argentina would be exporting is a mystery, aside perhaps from some wine and agricultural product.

Also, I heard that Cristina left for Cuba today without explanation. Is this true or just a rumour?

Yes I did. I noted that at the bottom. I said miraculously the trade deficit could improve. Although what exactly Argentina would be exporting is a mystery, aside perhaps from some wine and agricultural product.

You are seriously missinformated.

Just an example:
http://tiempo.infonews.com/2013/04/06/argentina-99576-la-produccion-y-exportacion-de-autos-crecio-un-168-por-ciento-interanual-en-marzo.php

Also, I heard that Cristina left for Cuba today without explanation. Is this true or just a rumour?

Outside the US, there is nothing wrong about going to Cuba and there is no reasons to give explanations about that.

Back