What's the best way to find a long(er)-term apartment??

betts said:
In response to BlahBlah's cash up front suggestion, here was my experience with that. The young couple was willing to prepay 6 months rent in advance, in lieu of the guarantia. This was for a 2 year lease unfurnished. There wasn't an owner that would touch it, they wanted that guarantia. One owner was willing to discuss a rental without a guarantia but they wanted one year's rent as a deposit not a prepayment. That means they would hold that money until the end of the lease term. Of course that would be crazy and young couple wouldn't even consider it.

So throwing money at the problem did not in this case seem to solve the problem. This is what I mean by what might make sense to us (ie prepay rent) doesn't make sense in this market.

I have a different experience but I never paid more then 3,4 months and the market now is definitly different then in 2008,2007. I am sure it will work

davonz said:
A friend told me about a 2 bedroom vacant in his fathers building in palermo - AR$700 per month, unfurnished. The owner was happy to rent too me for 6 months, only because he had met me before and knew my friends family very well, and the fact that they were also in the same building, and because i think he wanted to put off the hassle of trying to find new tenants. This would have been US$1000 if furished and rented to tourist short term.

AR$700 for a two bedroom? Can I ask where that apartment is?
What did you do for furniture?

it was on paraguay a couple of blocks up from diaz coronel, a few blocks from santa fe, with a disco and coto only a few blocks away too.
i got a matress and just put on floor for bed, and then most of the rest was given or lent to me.
If you know expats that are leaving, you can often pic up stuff cheap.
And at the end of the day you dont need alot.. the first place i had was a studio, and all it had was a double bed, very small table with 2 chairs and fridge, micro wave which i dont think i ever used, and 2 hot plates.
It was only 3x10 meters at max, including shower and toilet, first time i had every lived in anything that small, but after i had been there a couple of weeks i realised i didnt need much at all anyways, and alot of people have only that all their lives.

davonz said:
it was on paraguay a couple of blocks up from diaz coronel, a few blocks from santa fe, with a disco and coto only a few blocks away too.
i got a matress and just put on floor for bed, and then most of the rest was given or lent to me.
If you know expats that are leaving, you can often pic up stuff cheap.
And at the end of the day you dont need alot.. the first place i had was a studio, and all it had was a double bed, very small table with 2 chairs and fridge, micro wave which i dont think i ever used, and 2 hot plates.
It was only 3x10 meters at max, including shower and toilet, first time i had every lived in anything that small, but after i had been there a couple of weeks i realised i didnt need much at all anyways, and alot of people have only that all their lives.

A two bedroom apartment in that area for AR$ is a spectacular deal. What year was this? & how big was this two bedroom apartment? When I was looking I didn't find anything close to that price.

hyperborean said:
you think that price I quoted (around $800 for a nice 1-br with everything in a good part of Palermo) is OK or am I overpaying by a lot?

USD 800/month for a well-located and well-furnished 1-BR is extremely reasonable. According to agent friends, the going rate for anything fairly decent is north of USD 1000, and very good 1 BR's routinely fetch USD100+ per night. With the downturn in tourism, there are some bargains around, but I would consider anything under USD1000 to be a find.

jimdepalermo said:
USD 800/month for a well-located and well-furnished 1-BR is extremely reasonable. According to agent friends, the going rate for anything fairly decent is north of USD 1000, and very good 1 BR's routinely fetch USD100+ per night. With the downturn in tourism, there are some bargains around, but I would consider anything under USD1000 to be a find.

Good luck to them...sounds like the Buenos Aires rental market is about to collapse then...you'd have to be a moron or mentally ill to pay more than US $1000 for a one-bedroom apartment here.

Hello

There are no tourists in the city and we don`t know if they will ever come this year so place an ad on craigslist and be prepared to negotiate I rent my own flat Iam a local, it is rented at this moment a one bedroom plus dining room and kitchen 452sq feets) fully furnished for 530 dollars/month includes building fees) with broad band and tv cable in a tower on a 10th floor in Villa Crespo ,there a lot of empty flats I guess so put an advertisment and make an offer and take the time to go and see flats don`t show you are in a hurry;)

Back