what's the difference with all the milk?

akep

Registered
ok so I've been down here a while, I only really drink soy/almond milk in the states but am now just coming to terms with the fact that it doesn't exist here, so I'm finally gonna go ahead and get regular milk instead...except what is the difference between the 500 different varieties?? now that I'm actually trying to buy some I'm just beyond overwhelmed, and have no idea what the different labels, bags, etc mean. all I want is just like basic skim/low fat milk that tastes good soo any advice on brands, what words to look for, would be much appreciated! thx!!

They add vitamins to the milk here, so you get basic milk, skim, skim with A and D, full cream with A & D and then there is pasturised and ultra pasturised... and on top of that the different brands. They also have drinking yoghurt and flavoured milk in the 1 lt plastic bags too, so maybe what you think is lots of milk might actually be some milk, some flavoured milk and some yoghurt..

I just buy the cheapest (AR$2.59) 3% fat at coto or disco.

rule of thumb:

green- skim
red - regular

bordeaux -added iron

PhilipDT said:
Don't buy the long life stuff (larga vida), it's nasty.
+1 :eek: I think the safety of that stuff is also highly questionable.

Long-life milk is awfull everywhere, it does not taste like milk anymore. I guess it is not easy to make money with frsh milk, that is why -even in Europe- it is becoming increasingly difficult to find fresh milk. A real shame.

san cristobal said:
davonz you mentioned pasturized milk Where so you buy it....I have been looking for it for years.......all i can find is ULTRA pasturized

There use to be a brand at coto called Moblo (or something similar) which was just pasturised and dia also had one too. They were the cheapest brand. They were also the creamiest and tasted more like the fresh milk we get back home. But they would also go off the quickest.

I just checked the disco milk i buy which is the cheapest ($2.59) and it is ultra pasturised, so maybe they all are now.

There also use to be one without vitamins i would buy a few years back, but i no longer see it in the supermarkets.

Amargo said:
Long-life milk is awfull everywhere, it does not taste like milk anymore. I guess it is not easy to make money with frsh milk, that is why -even in Europe- it is becoming increasingly difficult to find fresh milk. A real shame.

Its because its cheaper to store/ship as you dont need to keep it cold.
But there are still countries where most of the milk is fresh - NZ and AU being 2. There is hardly any UHT milk sold there.

Back