what's the difference with all the milk?

ok so is the non-fridge stuff in boxes the gross long life stuff? and the stuff in bags is better? good to know about the colors coding bebero thx! also good to know some of it is actually yogurt haha im sure it was only a matter of time before i made that mistake too

akep said:
ok so is the non-fridge stuff in boxes the gross long life stuff? and the stuff in bags is better? good to know about the colors coding bebero thx! also good to know some of it is actually yogurt haha im sure it was only a matter of time before i made that mistake too

There is non long life stuff in boxes as well which I generally buy because its more convenient than the bags.

I agree.......MOLBO is the richest milk here,,,,,,it is ultrapasturized which gives the truckers more time to strike without having the milk go off.

We buy the 1L packet milk from La Serenisima. Comes in a white and green packet, pretty sure its low fat at around 1g / 100ml. Think it tastes pretty good compared with the milk in Aust. Has a life of about 3 weeks. Only downsides are the price (now about ARS$4.45 per litre from Carrefour). You also need one of those little boxes to sit the packet in, mind you can buy them for less than 10 pesos I think.

surfing said:
That's been said about many things which turned out not to be.

can you explain why you think the safety of long life milk is questionable?

If you buy low-fat, just be careful to avoid Sancor's "Omega-enriched" milk (low-fat milk laced with delicious GMO corn oil and maltodextrin in order to make it "healthier.") I accidentally grabbed it once and almost spit it back out upon first taste, wondering how on earth it could have gone rancid so quickly. Ugh.

If you're buying at a big supermarket, your best bet is the bag kind, as it's the only one that is really "fresh" milk, as the other kinds are reconstituted from powder. But, if you can make the extra effort, the organic markets around the city sell organic milk in glass bottles. Also, if you're looking for soy milk they sell it around barrio chino. Ades has a brand of soy milk, but I think drinking that defeats the health benefits of avoiding dairy. Good luck!

Renoir said:
If you're buying at a big supermarket, your best bet is the bag kind, as it's the only one that is really "fresh" milk, as the other kinds are reconstituted from powder. But, if you can make the extra effort, the organic markets around the city sell organic milk in glass bottles. Also, if you're looking for soy milk they sell it around barrio chino. Ades has a brand of soy milk, but I think drinking that defeats the health benefits of avoiding dairy. Good luck!

long life milk is not reconstituted from powder. it's heated to 140°C for two seconds, as opposed to 74°C for 15.

I've been drinking long life milk all my life and never an issue with it. :p I actually think drinking "fresh" milk is more risky here considering conditions aren't always the best at certain markets, especially in summer. That milk is not "fresh" either, since truly fresh milk doesn't last a week or two.

The flash heating of the milk might destroy some of the vitamins, but many brands fortify their milk with vitamins anyway. Might not be the same, but it's something.

To each their own. :) I for one won't touch artificial sweeteners despite how "safe" they say they are... we can only do what we think is best given the information we have.

By the way, it seems like you can make almond milk. For a sweeter touch, you can search for horchata de almendras recipes.

Back