What's up with Coto

The purpose it to cross data with the Planes Sociales? je, to find out if planes beneficiaries spend thousands in cash at the super . A long shot...

(IamWaldo asked: do the systems in this country have the capability to add it all up?)

I think, Ronnie, you are underestimating the cheapness and availability of data. Do I need to expand on that?
I think you are over estimating the competence and capabilities of AFIP.

They want to make sure that amounts of money you spend are appropriate for your level of income.

I imagine "they" means AFIP, because I'm sure the stores couldn't care less.

I remember I was asked for an ID in Easy when I paid cash a few years ago. So, may be the requirement was always there, but the limits are tighter now.
If my memory is correct. I was first asked for ID for purchases over $400 pesos in May of 2006 and I remember being surprised that I was not asked for ID in 2010 at Wal-Mart in Bahia Blanca when making a purchase over $400 pesos. I asked why no ID was required and the answer was that the amount had been increased to $800 pesos, but I could be slightly off regarding the numbers.

In 2006 I always used a photo copy of my passport when asked for ID, whether I was paying in cash or with my foreign credit card.

At some point (I beleiive in 2008) at Easy in Palermo I was told that I needed to actually show my passport and that a photocopy was not acceptable. That was never an issue for me as I had no desire to hide anything from AFIP.

Wait, you were paying cash, and they demanded ID?
I would never, ever go there again.

Well, you can certainly choose to boycott a business that is complying with the law, if that makes you happy.

And I am 100% certain that the business will not care in the least if they never see you again.🤠

If AFIP asks Coto to do something, it does not say anything about whether it violates your rights or not.

To add to this, I don't see how anyone can actually have the "right" to vliolate a law which requires providing ID.

In some circumstances, the law requires the "buyer" to provide ID, and the law always requires that the seller provide a receipt, even when the buyer is paying in cash and the amount is below the threshold required to provide an ID.

In those cases, instead of a "factura" showing the ID of the buyer, a ticket "comun" that does not show the ID of the buyer is issued by the seller.

Obviously, many small shops and markets do not follow the law, but all of the bigger ones do, and they do it all the time.

Last edited:
This requirement is only the tip of the iceberg that is in the works.

Back