What's your Favorite (and Positive) "Only in Argentina" story?

French jurist said:
Does O'Tool refers to aparato ?! :p

Only the actor: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000564/

Actually, to be fair, I believe Peter actually said getting old was a "gas" and others have been quoted as saying that he has a propensity for adult beverages.

To me: It's the same thing.

To you: C'est la même chose.

When I wrote the following:

"I believe Peter actually said getting old was a "gas" and others have been quoted as saying that he has a propensity for adult beverages."

I should have made it clear that having A "propensity for adult beverages"is equal to "being gassed."

C'est la même chose is one of the first complete sentences I ever said in French in Paris while dining with friends. As the last drops of wine were poured form the bottle into my glass I was told it meant I would either marry soon or die.

Without hesitation my response was, "C'est la même chose."

(It's the same thing.)

And I apologize for straying from the topic...Je suis désolé. Je le regrette.

A positive experience that I had in Argentina took place about a year ago... I was experiencing a wicked, hacking cough but didn´t have obra social at the time. After nearly coughing up a lung, my Argentine friend accompanied me to a public hospital (Rivadavia).

I was in and out in less than an hour and 15 minutes. The doctors that attended me were very patient, kind, and listened attentively to my concerns about my condition, despite my so-so Spanish at the time. They took an X-ray of my lungs, examined me thoroughly, etc. When it came time to leave, I was surprised to find out that everything was completely, 100% free...

Yes, I had heard that this was the case with public hospitals here, but coming from the United States (where the only health care plan is "don´t get sick!") this was a relief in so many ways, and couldn´t believe it until I experienced it.

For this experience, I am grateful :)

I have them every day - one of the reason I'm still living here:D

Let's see - the other day while on the highway, I looked over and in the bed of the pickup truck next to us, they had about 12 pigs (alive). They were, I assume, driving them to the slaughterhouse. Why not I guess but it made me laugh and laugh.

I got my heel caught in a crack in the sidewalk while walking home on Wednesday and my shoe and I parted company. A gentleman of a certain age retrieved my shoe for me and knelt down so I could slip it on and then told me that I was clearly a princess from a fairy tale. Totally sweet and I was smiling for hours.

When my dentist called me at home, after hours, to see how I was feeling after he had done some dental surgery on me.

Every time I see a guy with a horse and cart, trotting through the streets (don't mean the carriages, I mean people working).

When we're driving on the highway and you look over and there are people out on horseback riding alongside the highway.

A Gaucho in full regalia, galloping along the Ramal Tigre highway....the wrong way at night.
Buying a couple of books in Martinez and the store had technical problems with the card machine and I had no cash; whereupon the owner said' take the books and pay me tomorrow'.
Took a remise yesterday and the driver didn't have change for a $100 bill, so he said pay me next time you call us.
I needed some prescription drugs for my back problem yesterday and the pharmacy had half of what I needed, so I paid for the lot and they sent a moto to deliver the rest later in the evening free of charge.

First night in Argentina asado with friends and the Bulls Balls on the grill along with various intestines that I had never imagined in my life that I would eat and or enjoy/like!

Looking at my friend asking him.. what is this? while I was eating it? :eek:

Random positive experiences seem to happen to me more often than in the States. It makes me want to pass on random acts of kindness. Let's just focus on the past few days. Last night an Argentine friend of ours called to say he'd be at our place at 9 with sushi for dinner. Even though he works far out in the provincia he came in just to share a meal with us.

The neighbor came by to introduce us to her big dogs and let them smell us so they would know who we are. I for one have had bad experiences with a neighbor's big scary dog so, I really appreciated this. It seemed to work too.

Yesterday during the day our lights went out and we were having problems with the electricity set up in our new apartment. An electrician came and checked a few things and didn't charge. The portero also offered to get us candles if we needed them.

My husbands family stocked our new place with food and even a bed so we wouldn't have to spend a lot moving in. They even thought about little details like shampoo and a rack to hang hand washed clothes. Friends of my husband's family call just to check on us and say hello.

I think when you spend so much time struggling here for your job, a fair price on things, honest repairmen, etc the community you trust becomes more important and more intimate.

OK, I have one. Taxistas in BsAs get a bad rap, but one saved my ass after Aerolineas had left me, shall I say, "displaced." After my first-ever trip to BA, my flight home was scheduled for 10am Sat. morning. A couple of weeks before the flight, Expedia notified me that my flight had been moved up to 9am... what they neglected to mention was that it had been moved up to 9am THE FOLLOWING DAY. So 5am Sat. morning, running on exactly zero hours' sleep, I check out of my apt, leave my keys, and hail a cab to Ezeiza only to find out that I am 24 hours early. So there I am, in a near-empty airport, laden with 4 suitcases, all my valuables, no one to call and nowhere to go. I finally take a cab back into Capital, directing the taxista to the only hostel I knew of. No rooms available, but they suggest another one. Once again, no rooms. The cabbie, being very patient with my then-shaky Spanish, asks if I am looking for a room, and offers to take me to a cheap-but-clean hotel he knows of (probably his favorite telo, but whatevs.) He speaks to the desk clerk for me, arranges to pick me up the next day for Ezeiza, gives me a generous descuento, and before he leaves, draws me a little map of Congreso so I can find my way around. I always remember that story whenever anyone bitches about how all BsAs taxistas are evil.

I seriously can't think of a positive experience that was not negated by the negative experience that occurred before it, thus making the negative experience a positive outcome. Perhaps my accidental purchase of boldo, (thinking it was a tea,) in the local market would count as a positive experience, as it occurred before the negative experience boldo cures. Boldo can be a positive experience in BA. ;)

Back