What's your Favorite (and Positive) "Only in Argentina" story?

I was walking home from class the other day and a stray dog passed me. The dog passed by another stray dog going the opposite direction with neither taking the time to growl, sniff butts or even glance at each other. I followed the dog and watched him easily cross multiple streets just as a human would. He even did that thing where you cross halfway, wait for a car, and then continue! I thought to myself "Wow! That would NEVER happen in the U.S."

I am fascinated by how well the dogs here have adapted to city living by developing "street skills". Don't get me wrong, I hate a warm pile of poop on the sidewalk as much as anyone but overall the dogs seem very chill, smart, and well-behaved.

This would certainly not happen in the UK;

I go into my local chino late one evening with 1 ten peso note and a bunch of hundreds to buy a small bottle of whiskey and some Marlboro reds (what I think of as a balanced diet). Chino has no Marlboro and can"t make change for the 100 peso note. A guy in the cue who I had never seen before insists on paying for the whiskey and when I offer him the ten says to keep it as they wont be able to make change at the kiosko either and obviously I need cigarettes.

In the UK my purchase would have definitely been seen as non essential and no one would have thought of helping me out, plus I could have bought a bunch of other stuff and got to the sort of amount that the Chino would have given me change for but the stranger shrugged this idea off saying that would involve me having to go back to the back of the cue.....this guy certainly didn't look rich either and despite him saying see you around I have never seen him since.

If I am ever sick, the doctor comes straight to my bedside. Best thing ever.

There's a lot of "freedoms" I enjoy here. :) Not being rule sticklers helps... like when running deserted red lights at night - the police here don't seem to care. (We are in provincia and the police do the same.) My family has expanded the house several times without having to deal with permits or tax adjusters, which would be a lot more difficult to do in the US especially when it comes time to sell. Government inefficiency has led people to take certain matters into their own hands, which often gives faster results... it's been my experience that there's a blind eye to certain matters. ;)

But I do agree with others that the medical care here is the best. :) Especially in terms of affordability and access.

Eclair____ is the ability to running a red light a GOOD thing?

What makes dogs so smart here_ I NEVER see road kill here! ME? I have been hit and rundown by a bicicle, tripped by an overly aggressive person wanting to pass me, had the door of a bus close rapidly and forceably on my arm......but the dogs just seem to pass without problems.......If I can have that life i will GLADLY SNIFF YOUR ASS!

james p said:
......but the dogs just seem to pass without problems.......If I can have that life i will GLADLY SNIFF YOUR ASS!
Over my dead booty!:D

james p said:
Eclair____ is the ability to running a red light a GOOD thing?

It's not a bad thing when there's nobody there, especially where we live in provincia zona oeste. ;) You really don't want to wait around at a red light at night. :p

In fact I'm quite impressed with how people don't manage to kill themselves more often here. In Miami if a traffic light goes out, it's chaos - you'll have a 10 car pile up within 10 minutes if someone doesn't show up to direct traffic. Here, every crossing is "every man for himself" which is quite scary and impressive at the same time. :p There's a roundabout which we pass quite often that I literally hold my breath and dig my nails into the car upholstery (where Ruta 4 and 8 meet) and despite there being hardly any rules or courtesy, people make it through!

Sorry I don't have any great story about being taken in by some stranger or people going out of their way to help me (though I've met and know plenty of nice people)... to me the ability to bend the rules a bit is one of the best parts of Argentina. :cool:

Oh, and I see horses on the way to work everyday... cartoneros with horses. Once a horse was loose in the middle of the street! (He was returned to his home safe and sound.) That was exciting and not something you see in most cities. I also enjoy the huge bonfires people make along the road... it's dirty, it's dangerous, and it's quite eerie (gives the place an apocolyptic feel), but it's certainly different. Being able to burn your trash in your front yard is freedom. (Not that I partake or think it's the wisest choice.)

And I do love the Sunday asados with all our family. And in general how family is so important here. And the passion for soccer... it's in a league of its own.

Eclair said:
My family has expanded the house several times without having to deal with permits or tax adjusters, which would be a lot more difficult to do in the US especially when it comes time to sell. Government inefficiency has led people to take certain matters into their own hands, which often gives faster results... it's been my experience that there's a blind eye to certain matters. ;)

Ojo! If/when you decide to sell the house, they usually do catch you and you have to pay back taxes on all those expansions. Two of my friends learned that the hard way when selling their properties and had to pay a lot of money in taxes/fines (one of my friends had to pay over 100,000 ARS).

Sorry to get a bit negative: Seeing that I am in construction/design of houses for several years...and in quite a few cities. Depending on the country...too often permits are not pulled due to corruption in the inspectors or the home owners wanting to cut corners (expenses). The end result is rarely a well built/safe construction. This leads to many future problems with the homes..and more importantly...to the safety of the occupants.
Just outside of Istanbul 25 000 plus people died in shoddy new construction in their last major earthquake. They used sub-standard cement (full of shells and too much sand..to save some Lira) and also used very little re-bar. These buildings later were determined to only be able to handle up to a 5.5 earthquake. That area has at least 1 quake every 10 years on average..above 6.0 up to 7.0 . The contractors and inspectors...not one lost their jobs. They are still building shitty and unsafe buildings.
So NO... not having to deal with permits..is in NO WAY A GOOD THING!!
I have also been on the receiving end of a red-light runner... broad sided my little MG with his truck at 40 miles an hour (in the the US).. take my word...that is also NOT A POSITIVE THING!

Back