What's your showstopper restaurant to take guests to?

Davidglen77 said:
If you want seafood and spanish style food (NOT argentine) try "La Gran Taberna" on the corner of Combate de los Pozos & Hipólito Yrigoyen right behind the Congreso Nacional Building, if you like them big roasted fish with the fins hangin' off the plate, or a big serving of Paella with the shrimp, clams and mussels jumpin' out of the rice you'll appreciate this restaurant big time.

I tried the seafood there once and it was decent, but i don't recommend having parilla there as it was pretty terrible!

Its also quite expensive if i remember correctly.

First of all they DON'T have a parilla. They do have several meat based dishes and from my experience, while I haven't tried all of them, the ones I ordered were absolutely delicious and abundant. The best way to measure the success and quality of the restaurant is in 2 ways. How long it's been in business which in the case of this restaurant more than 10 years and how many people dine there. If you go by this restaurant it's always completely full and there is seating for around 150 people. So if that many people are eating for that many years, I guess the majority like it. Expensive? That depends on your pocket. I recently had dinner there with 2 other people, The 3 of us ate paella full of shrimp, chunks of fish, mussels, etc. a whole roasted fish (corvina) and a big plate (750 gr) of colita de cuadril smothered with sauté red peppers, garlic and onions. 1 bottle of wine (terrazas) each had a bottle of water, each had a dessert, and with a 10% tip the bill came to $285 ($95 pesos each). For the type of meal we had I consider this restaurant very moderately priced. They also have a takeout section that sells fish empanadas, tartas, and all kinds of prepared seafood.

The other day I bought 250gr of ham 250gr of cheese and a loaf of bread. It cost me $65 pesos, just enough for 3 sandwiches, just for a comparison.

My favorite place to eat is Brasserie Petanque. The food is always excellent (best salmon in the city), the restaurant itself is charming, and the owner always comes over to greet us personally and chat a bit in French. There's nothing even remotely Argentine about it, but maybe that's why it's so good ;)

Davidglen77 said:
The best way to measure the success and quality of the restaurant is in 2 ways. How long it's been in business which in the case of this restaurant more than 10 years and how many people dine there. If you go by this restaurant it's always completely full and there is seating for around 150 people.

Success, maybe; quality, no. By your standard most McDonald's franchises come out on top

razal said:
What kind of food? About how much did it run?

I had rabbit pate dumpling in the most yummiest broth that was poured table side, my friends had seared scallops and shrimp again with sauce poured table side. Veal cheeks were incredible, rack of lamb cooked perfectly, rabbit loin with some kind of mash that was ridiculous. Really, I can't describe the flavours, very unique. All the dishes used interesting ingredients and were very creative, not your standard fare.
My friends paid but I think, with a very healthy tip for superb service and coctails/wine/desserts(AMAZING)/coffee for 4 people about $800-$1000AR
In and around $50-70USD each. Incredible deal for what we got. Next time I'm trying the tasting menu.

What's the restaurant in San Telmo that has ~16 to 19 "courses", but each course is just a bite or two?

I have no idea what the name is, but I know that it's around US$100/person. (Not sure if that includes wine or not.)

Thanks

PhilipDT said:
Success, maybe; quality, no. By your standard most McDonald's franchises come out on top

You are correct, by my standard McDonald's comes out on top. And for the record, McDonalds is one of the most highly rated restaurants in the world, in every category, for quality, taste, value, etc. While it may not be your or my personal opinion, in it's category of fast food, it's the winner. And furthermore Arcos Dorados (which is the parent company of McDonalds in Argentina) is rated the 7th best company out of 1000 companies to work for in Argentina.

ameliamcg said:
Hernán Gipponi Restaurant in Fierro Hotel. www.fierrohotel.com
Hands down.
A wee bit pricey but the service, ambiance, FOOD!!! Incredible.
They have a tasting menu (the whole table has to order it so I, sadly, did not partake) with or without wine. Where I'm from you would pay $400 for 2 for a meal like this!

You have to be kidding me. Hernán Gipponi Restaurant "hands up". As in hands up in rendition and exasperation.

I went there with the highest expectations because I loved the food at tipula (the chef's other restaurant), but was bitterly disappointed. I spent about 500 pesos for 2 people which is about 1/4 of what I would have been willing to spend if it were fantastic food. As it was, I wouldn't have paid 100 pesos happily.

The wine at a 100% mark up was actually a good recommendation from the sommelier. The food was crap. Not just saying that it wasn't my type of food, because it was; it was just flawed.

For the price of HGR I would go many other places before I went there.

Back