What's your showstopper restaurant to take guests to?

I'm sure I'll be killed for this, but for parilla, I still think that La Cabrera is the place to take guests. The kobe beef Cuadril is great, and they're mojellas are IMHO the best in the city. Sure it is touristy, but it is still relatively cheap and it is still great.

PhilipDT said:
I love Tomo 1, ate there again recently. Not only have I never had a bad meal there I have not once ever had a meal which did not in some way thoroughly impress me.

If friends are foodies, Tomo I is a great choice. If they are more impressed with the ambiance, well, Tomo 1 comes up short. It could use a make over.

If I had a guest in the city I would take them for a pizza slice at Guerrin on Corrientes, steak at La Cabrera, mixed parilla at La Brigada, cocktails at Gran Bar Danzon, brandy at the Algodon mansion, Crepes at the Evita museum cafe, breakfast at the Alvear and empanadas at Pekin.

pizza at siamo nel forno, parrilla at la brigada o don julio, peruvian at chan chan, sushi at yuki, finer dining at paraje arevalo, empanadas at la fachada, comida del norte at cumana, sandwich / wrap at marfa, brunch at crespin o malvon.

PhilipDT said:
You have to be kidding me. Hernán Gipponi Restaurant "hands up". As in hands up in rendition and exasperation.

I went there with the highest expectations because I loved the food at tipula (the chef's other restaurant), but was bitterly disappointed. I spent about 500 pesos for 2 people which is about 1/4 of what I would have been willing to spend if it were fantastic food. As it was, I wouldn't have paid 100 pesos happily.

The wine at a 100% mark up was actually a good recommendation from the sommelier. The food was crap. Not just saying that it wasn't my type of food, because it was; it was just flawed.

For the price of HGR I would go many other places before I went there.

To each his own. I guess I'm lucky I had a great experience.

withersdavis said:
I'm sure I'll be killed for this, but for parilla, I still think that La Cabrera is the place to take guests. The kobe beef Cuadril is great, and they're mojellas are IMHO the best in the city. Sure it is touristy, but it is still relatively cheap and it is still great.

You're right.

I would kill you for this.

But, this is the Internets and you're entitled to your opinion. (No matter how misguided it may be.)

Viva Buenos Aires Delivery!! :eek:

Thanks for the tip on the pollo at Farola. It was great! We saw families of 4 sharing one. We went on a Sunday night and saw this was a casual family favorite. It wasn't at all typical of the places we've been eating so we had our doubts, but all of the food looked good and we'll definitely go back.

Back