When inflation is not really *inflation*

ElQueso said:
Marc - you have to stop believing that INDEC has any basis in reality when it reports numbers, at least under this administration.

INDEC's figures are connected to political reality only. Actual inflation figures are doctored to appear low and cut down on the interest that must be paid to indexed-bond bearers.

Again, inflation last year was something between 16% to 18%, higher than INDEC's doctored figures, and way lower than Clarin desires. The increase of prices in the neighborhoods of rich people and on certain middle-high class items (like premium private health insurance, such as OSDE and up) is not representative of the general level of prices. Yes, rent in Palermo is up, but there are supply and demand reasons also.
In my world, things did go up between 15% and 20% last year, and that was reflected in my wages also. Some things maintaned the same price, and some things did go up higher. But of course, I don't take cabs.

If meat is (say) 5% of your budget, your overall cost of living will have gone up by 2%. Of course it has an inflationary impact. With regard to government stats, meat will probably be included in a basket of commodities, the fluctuating prices of which will be used to calculate official inflation.

Yes, that's right. I meant that this doesn't mean that there is a 40% inflation.

marksoc said:
In my world, things did go up between 15% and 20% last year, and that was reflected in my wages also. Some things maintaned the same price, and some things did go up higher. But of course, I don't take cabs.

Yes, that's credible: it depends very much on your "consumption basket."

People, please, prices are way higher in all products and services, not just cabs and caviar and yes, it has happend in ALL areas, not just rich ones. Someone in the middle or high class will just need to adjust money spending and that´s it. POOR people on the other hand have to start skipping meals because of this prices. I guess they dont really matter at all and if anything, it´s something good and we should all be very gratefull for !! my goodness, i cant believe there´s people that defends this regime.. i mean, administration. There´s argentines starving and babies dying of starvation and not only Ks dont care, but i guess others out there (very few luckely) neither !! Unless this is all Menem´s fault for what he did 20 years ago (with his real good buddy, the governor of Santa Cruz at that time supporting his every action and even saying he was one of the best presidents in our history !!!!!! ...check this little video with some cool pics showing this http://www.tnylagente.com.ar/videolog=sanjusto-lamatanza?92811 )
the Ks have been in power (and i mean in power, controlling the congress completely and serveral jugdes and having full power to decide with judge is to remain so and which one not) for 7 years already but i guess for some people that´s not enough time to actually fix things and be held responsibile for today´s problems, most of them at least either by their actions or the lack of them and because of that, the innocent Ks and their brilliant staff should remian in power until 2020 (as said by kirchner himself....:S ) and only then i guess their great achievements will start to take effect heheheh
Anyways, this problem and many others are hitting all people in this country ! People that still supports the Ks are either because they have to, they are being ordered to (or else no more 200 pesos monthly check), because they are in on it (profiting of course) or because they are not personally affected and do not mind the rest of the people and their problems, IMHO of course !

-Juan

jazrgz said:
People that still supports the Ks are either because they have to, they are being ordered to (or else no more 200 pesos monthly check), because they are in on it (profiting of course) or because they are not personally affected and do not mind the rest of the people and their problems, IMHO of course !
-Juan

I agree - the Ks don't have real supporters, just hangers-on, profiteers, and indigents depending on the monthly handouts. People stick by them just for what they can get. That's why the K's are so desperate for "caja" - they need ready cash to distribute to their cronies and make sure they don't desert.

That's coming to an end - what is there left to confiscate after raiding the pension fund and the Central Bank reserves? Safe deposit boxes? Many have been already emptied by their owners. The Ks are racing against the clock - still over a year to go, and petty cash running out. Many believe they want to be shoved aside before the end of C.'s term, to be able to play the victim card.

Going back to topic: in a recent speech, CK quoted INDEC's figures: a family of four can eat for $17.18 pesos a day. That is $4.30 per day, per person.

Nice fairy tale.

SaraSara said:
The Finance minister, Boudou, says that in Argentina "there is only price tension, but not inflation".

Does anyone know what that means?
One Third of Argentina’s debt/bond payments are tied to inflation and it is in their best interest to cook the books. It will be a cold day in hell when the government will acknowledge the true CPI number. The country would have been bankrupt last year if the true CPI was used for debt payments. The whole F… economy is a charade and living on borrowed time.

marksoc said:
Again, inflation last year was something between 16% to 18%, higher than INDEC's doctored figures, and way lower than Clarin desires. The increase of prices in the neighborhoods of rich people and on certain middle-high class items (like premium private health insurance, such as OSDE and up) is not representative of the general level of prices. Yes, rent in Palermo is up, but there are supply and demand reasons also.

I don't know what little pocket of heaven you live in. My cleaning lady tells me in her part of the world prices are raising fast. She works two jobs and has to leave her full time work because her employer refuses to pay her more than 9 pesos an hour.

My teacher who lives in Temperley (not Palermo) says that prices are rising in her neighborhood too. As does my friend who works in a office and lives in Flores. She said that she's glad & lucky she was able to buy her place (after working abroad for three years) because she doesn't make enough to include rent in her budget.

marksoc said:
Yes, that's right. I meant that this doesn't mean that there is a 40% inflation.

No one said inflation was at 40%, nor did was say it has reached 30% YET. The other thread said "Inflation expected to reach over 30%". Let's hope it doesn't as people already are having a hard time.

Back