When inflation is not really *inflation*

I had my wallet stolen in december with all my CC and ATM cards. Had to send off for replacements in UK and basically had no money here in BA while I waited. I made 300 pesos last nearly two weeks, so was spending about 20 pesos a day. It was tough - not because I'm an expat used to caviar subs and going for pony rides in the park. I was eating VERY simple food for that fortnight.

Friends offered me loans but I really wanted to see if I could make that 300 pesos last until my new cards arrived - and I did it.

the idea that you could last on 4.50 a day is highly delusional. I think 15 a day would be the theoretical limit - unless of course you literally start eating bread and rice and nothing else.

esllou said:
the idea that you could last on 4.50 a day is highly delusional. I think 15 a day would be the theoretical limit - unless of course you literally start eating bread and rice and nothing else.

The $4.30 a day per person figure Cristina K. quoted was for a share in a "canasta familiar" with meat, milk, eggs, oil, sugar, bread, fruits, and vegetables. I doubt twenty pesos would cover that.

SaraSara said:
The $4.30 a day per person figure Cristina K. quoted was for a share in a "canasta familiar" with meat, milk, eggs, oil, sugar, bread, fruits, and vegetables. I doubt twenty pesos would cover that.

I'm really curious how much of each of these things are in the canasta and how long it's supposed to last? What planet does she live on?

I think I'm going to try this for a week and see what happens....... So, 8.60 a day for the two of us.......... I'll keep you posted!

mini said:
I'm really curious how much of each of these things are in the canasta and how long it's supposed to last? What planet does she live on?

I think I'm going to try this for a week and see what happens....... So, 8.60 a day for the two of us.......... I'll keep you posted!

good luck getting past Wednesday. :p

Ufff, again, somebody already posted why the figures are doctored. And the trick worked. There IS inflation, but not what the opposition wants to destroy the current administration. And a lot of people like me prefers this government to previous ones, and it is for its economic policies, believe it or not. I really liked the AFJP operation (nobody expected those strange concoctions stealing from wages to be around for 14 years), I agree with the Aerolineas transfer to the state (remember LAPA, an example of an Argentinean private airline), and I'm comfortable with the current levels of inflation, but I would prefer some 10%. People now have jobs (remember 1995-2002). Shitty jobs, but they have them. And the middle class has taken vacations for the first time in YEARS. So even when they bitch about the poor receiving money, some of them also vote left. Or pseudo-left.
So live with it, many of us like it, and we don't receive one peso from it (well, we all receive pesos through the transport and energy subsidies).

We don't support K because we love them, we do it because the opposition is worst (the right, necons all the way, meaning Macri, De "Narco"vaez, and the biggest of all, Duhalde, Lilita doesn't deserve even to be named)

marksoc said:
(remember LAPA, an example of an Argentinean private airline),)
Yes I remember LAPA. I travelled a few times with them within Argentina. Always great service, and they didn't discriminate against foreigners like AA does with its dual pricing policy.

marksoc said:
Ufff, again, somebody already posted why the figures are doctored. And the trick worked. There IS inflation, but not what the opposition wants to destroy the current administration. And a lot of people like me prefers this government to previous ones, and it is for its economic policies, believe it or not. I really liked the AFJP operation (nobody expected those strange concoctions stealing from wages to be around for 14 years), I agree with the Aerolineas transfer to the state (remember LAPA, an example of an Argentinean private airline), and I'm comfortable with the current levels of inflation, but I would prefer some 10%. People now have jobs (remember 1995-2002). Shitty jobs, but they have them. And the middle class has taken vacations for the first time in YEARS. So even when they bitch about the poor receiving money, some of them also vote left. Or pseudo-left.
So live with it, many of us like it, and we don't receive one peso from it (well, we all receive pesos through the transport and energy subsidies).

We don't support K because we love them, we do it because the opposition is worst (the right, necons all the way, meaning Macri, De "Narco"vaez, and the biggest of all, Duhalde, Lilita doesn't deserve even to be named)

God, you Kirchneristas have a short memory. Duhalde is the enemy now? Are you for real? That's the bastard that put your beloved Nestor in office in 2003. Does anyone in the Kirchners' camp pay attention to even the most recent history? Or are they too busy cashing their checks to care?

As for the AFJP, that was one of the worst decisions made in the last 10 years. They used those funds to shore up the Peso. They basically forced AFJPs to sell their assets right after the worldwide shock to the markets so they could get the influx of dollars to buy up pesos. This was horrendous timing because they lost money on several fronts. The stocks were sold at their lows, the Reales changed into dollars at its low, and then the dollars turned back into pesos back when it was still clinging to 3 to 1. They lost millions. More importantly, why should those bastards have any say in private retirement funds. It just shows exactly what these thieves are capable of doing when they need money. That's why no serious investor will touch this country until there is regime change.

This post shows the exact problem with the electorate in Argentina. The 'trick' you refer to that they use in the INDEC goes against all credibility the government has, and eventually makes your life harder by raising the 'Riesgo Pais', and making it harder and more expensive for YOU to borrow money and better your life by investing in something. Those 'strange concoctions' you refer to are a prime indicator of a sophisticated society where people save for retirement. Imagine the gall of those people who thought you'd have an institution stand for 14 years.... the idiots! Who would expect a strong judicial system or transparent rules? Its all just so mind numbing.

marksoc said:
People now have jobs (remember 1995-2002). Shitty jobs, but they have them.

"People now have jobs"? :D

Last year the private sector shed 145,000 jobs, while the government added 90,000 ñoquis. That's 90,000 votes, come election time. (http://www.clarin.com/diario/2010/03/27/elpais/p-02168112.htm)

This government's strategy is not "Divide and Conquer" but "Impoverish and Control"

Back