When Will I Ever Learn- Mercado Libre Edition. (And Warning)

I've found myself reluctant in certain situations to 1) count the bills to make sure I got all of my money and/or 2) to inspect the bills to make sure they are not counterfeit. I think the other person will think that I don't trust them. I've seen the same thing from other American's from whom I've purchased items. They never count or inspect the bills (at least while I'm there picking up the merchandise).

If one is buying or selling here a bill-check marker might be a good investment.

I always say something like "I apologize, but I need to count and inspect each bill you are giving me. Unfortunately, I have learned through experience and observation that here in Argentina, this type of precaution is absolutely necessary to prevent mistakes and fraud." Then I apologize again that I am counting slow and double checking everything. In my experience, no one has been offended by that yet, and they usually nod in agreement and appreciate the fact that you are being cautious.

I also have both a bill-check marker and a black light bill checker.

i bought one of those bill check markers from the staples in santa fe ave after it happened to me, and it didn't work on my fake bills, they are getting so good at making those fake dollars and using the material where the ink won't show up. i thought about buying the actual machines where u count the dollars, because it won't count if they detect that they are fake, but those are super expensive!

I always say something like "I apologize, but I need to count and inspect each bill you are giving me. Unfortunately, I have learned through experience and observation that here in Argentina, this type of precaution is absolutely necessary to prevent mistakes and fraud." Then I apologize again that I am counting slow and double checking everything. In my experience, no one has been offended by that yet, and they usually nod in agreement and appreciate the fact that you are being cautious.

I also have both a bill-check marker and a black light bill checker.

No one here gets offended in the least by counting/checking. It helps to think it's also a protection for the buyer (ie, the seller can't complain later that money was missing/fake) if they check it at the POS.

I count/check everything, including my change when I am at the store. At least 2x a month, I find that I haven't received the correct change. Accident? Attempt to pocket some money? And occasionally (maybe once every few months), I get a bad bill although usually it is one that is ripped, not fake. I simply ask for it to be exchanged.

That's really awful and I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck.
I've had a few close shaves and I have to say it's more common now than when I started using ML in 2006.
The Mercadopago JPG scam is popular and I wouldn't trust anyone offering to pay in USD, not now especially as they're like gold dust.
I've got about 20 items for sale with ML and recently have had some real assholes 'trying it on'.
I don't know, you just sort of feel it when it's wrong.
For me the signs are:
They 'buy' without asking a single question.
They joined ML a week ago or the same day.
They are in cahoots with other seller/buyers on ML which can sometimes be checked (if they have any history) by cross referencing their corresponding buyers/sellers like joining the dots.
The email address and/or phone are fake once they buy.
If you are at all concerned with meeting they other party, make sure it's in a public place like a cafe and then double check the cash or item.

Agree Citygirl, in fact I find that most people INSIST that you double check the money.
It's just sensible.

Damn!
Ever put something up for sale that you don't use very much but you don't really want to sell but know you have to in order to get that special something you wouldn't be able to afford otherwise?
And then somebody makes an acceptable offer and then you say...damn it?

Counterfeit money:
I use an ultra violet LED flashlight to check the security strip: US dollars. Also they are excellent for AR peso, they use fluorescent inks and are quite visible under ultra violet light. A good small LED one can be purchased at pet stores. Used for detecting urine.

I too find that it is *very* normal here to check bills in any transaction. I really don't think anyone would be offended by this. To the contrary they might think you naive if you don't do it. I haven't actually received any USDs here, but I usually do at least a cursory check of any AR$50 or AR$100 that I receive. I recently saw on the local news some tips of how to check the AR bills. One thing I didn't notice before was how the peso denomination numbers in the corner of the bills change colors when you tilt them in different directions (blue/green). I don't find the more recent video online, but here's an older one with the same basic information.

A couple of years ago I took a fake 100USD bill and felt like a real plonker.
I gave it to my mother in law who said she'd take care of it. She then marched down to her bank and promptly changed it, giving them the 'hard done by pensioner' story, which they bought.
I find it best not to mess with the mother in law.

I use the bill detector pen for mercadolibre transactions. Caught a few fakes mixed in with real, never had a all fake exchange. Also I always do the exchanges in a cafe near my house where a couple PFA agents usually hang out.

Back