When will life return to normal?

Compared to Americans, Argentines' personal space is next to nonexistent. They love to be piled one upon another, the more the merrier. This may come as a shock to those from Northern latitudes, but I believe it is in their DNA.

It's a touchie-huggie-kissie society, relying on touch as a way of communication, and I believe it will take more than a virus to change that.

As trivial as it surely is in the grand scheme of things, it is hard to see tango recovering from this blow. Whether or not we are successful in flattening the curve, the virus will continuing circulating for 12 months or much longer, until (and if) there is a vaccine. It will continue to take out frightening numbers of people, primarily those in the over-60 age groups, which includes many tango dancers and organizers. It seems inconceivable that governments will allow classes or milongas to restart until there is a vaccine; even if they did, one would be mad to attend. This situation will repeat all over the world. The local and international industry will likely be decimated by then: today's teachers doing other things; venues broke and longer operating; some organizers and dancers sadly no longer with us.

Since this thread is about what life will be like after this, those of us who live here in part or in whole for tango may need to start thinking about whether tango will ever come back, and if so, in what form. Certainly, the scene, as we currently know it, will not just magically restart in a few months and go back to what it was. This is just one (small) thing among many we are only beginning to see the possible outlines of.

Life will not return to normal for a long time as this has been decided ahead of time to take advantage of this crisis . Social distancing will be here to stay for a long time and i fear that the beautiful warm culture that Argentina is famous for will cease to exist .

In 2 years maximum the vaccine will be tested and approved, and everybody will get vaccinated. And then things will get back to normal. Well, almost. May be people will remain more distant even after that. But I think kissing everybody when you enter a party and when you leave a party was a bit excessive anyway.

In 6 months testing for coronavirus will get vastly improved and everybody will be tested every 2 weeks. Things will get much easier after that.

In the meantime people will recognize the importance of social distancing and spreading the infection will be put on a slow burner. The virus can not be stopped completely without the vaccination, but the rate of expansion can be kept down, so that sick people can get proper medical treatment.

There will be an economic shock. But we've been through these before. We will get through this one as well.

If there was no way back from seismic societal events, the modern world wouldn't be here in the first place. While giving COVID-19 its due respect, we've bounced back from worse viral outbreaks and worse wars. The world will never be the same again doesn't mean a lot until we see what it becomes. Nothing like this has happened in the modern world? Everything happens in the modern world. Bubonic plague hit Europe in the modern world and people bounced back. You think people then were thinking "we're living in the good old days?"

Bubonic plague hit Europe in the modern world and people bounced back.

The Bubonic Plague actually hit Europe in the Middle Ages (the 14th Century):

It could be said that The Spanish Flu hit the modern world in 1918, a world which was aware of the exisrtence of germs.

People certainly bounced back from that epidemic.

In fact, both of my parents survived it (neither of them were infected).

Last edited:
The Bubonic Plague actually hit Europe in the Middle Ages (the 14th Century):

Haha. Exactly which is my point and seems you missed it.

Those people living in the 14th century were in the modern world. What the modern world is merely defined by when you live. Every major event through history has been lived through what was at the time the modern world. I hope I have explained it better than I did before.

Now, the Modern Era or Modern Period is a different thing as it is a defined time.

Haha wow, you get very triggered at any perceived criticism of your preferred politicians.

Because this thread isn't about Macri. I've stated in threads relevant to Macri that his management of the economy was horrendous.

$30,000 isn't enough that's what is wrong with it. A stifled demand for so long and surging unemployment is going to cause deflationary pressure on the economy therefore they should be printing more money.
It is all about double standards.
In my opinion, there is a weird combination where the quarentine benefits the macro economy because to stop paying the debt for 5 years is a mayor goal.
Macri printed a lot of pesos to pay the lebacs and lelics whi AF does it to avoid a mayor crisis. This is to rule a country.

Last edited:
How has this changed Argentine traditions (ie. Sunday asado, mate, saludos)?

I'd say it's far too early to tell, there will for sure be many ethnographic studies carried out by sociologists, anthropologists, and other social scientists over the coming years. Once they have gathered and analysed the data we will have a much better picture.

Social norms are interesting creatures and are definitely susceptible to broader societal contextual shifts. I'd expect to see some predictable, and other very much not predictable changes, to occur in Argentine traditions, as well as in all affected countries.

As far as anecdotal short term data points go; out here in gba where I am, it used to be at least 3/4 people in my immediate vicinity would do a BBQ every weekend over these summer/sunny months. Last weekend , and this one, I've noticed no family BBQs at all in the area.

Do you think we will see lasting changes?

Cheers!

In 2 years maximum the vaccine will be tested and approved, and everybody will get vaccinated. And then things will get back to normal. Well, almost. May be people will remain more distant even after that. But I think kissing everybody when you enter a party and when you leave a party was a bit excessive anyway.

In 6 months testing for coronavirus will get vastly improved and everybody will be tested every 2 weeks. Things will get much easier after that.

In the meantime people will recognize the importance of social distancing and spreading the infection will be put on a slow burner. The virus can not be stopped completely without the vaccination, but the rate of expansion can be kept down, so that sick people can get proper medical treatment.

There will be an economic shock. But we've been through these before. We will get through this one as well.
I mentioned before. In China they by passed the test in animals and did it straight in members of the communist party (who are all volunteers by law) and doctors and cientist who used their selves as Guinea pigs. This is soeeding up the timming.

By the way, what happened with anti vaccine groups?

Back