where am i supposed to pay tax?

itsme

Registered
just wondering if anyone has any insight..

I work from home for an Singapore company that pays me into my offshore account I have (not in Singapore). Neither country require paying income tax if the money was not earned in the country or you are not a resident.

So, I guess technically, I should be paying tax on that income here in Argentina? (though i'm still on a tourist visa - on my 5th month)
Just wondering...

I have never heard of anyone with a tourist visa paying income taxes in Argentina.

You sound like the quintessential tax evader.

Why be concerned with paying now?

I find it incredible that people would see any type of legal or tax advice from some expat board. You would think maybe contacting professionals for that advice would be the right thing to do

EMR said:
I find it incredible that people would see any type of legal or tax advice from some expat board. You would think maybe contacting professionals for that advice would be the right thing to do

Did you mean seek advice?

You also missed your period.

Well, if you do it like the Argentines, you just don't pay it!!

Seriously, the government agenecy in charge of collecting taxes is called AFIP. They are the biggest nightmare of all Argetine bureaucracy. The last time I went there I had 29 (no exageration) forms that needed to be registered - and for everyone they charged, me between 3 and 6 pesos and took forever examining it.

You may want to ask you employer to hire a local firm (my bosses were too cheap) that can take care of all this for you. Not sure exactly what the fees are though.

Good luck and when you go AFIP bring a good book, you will be there all day.

RR

itsme said:
just wondering if anyone has any insight..

I work from home for an Singapore company that pays me into my offshore account I have (not in Singapore). Neither country require paying income tax if the money was not earned in the country or you are not a resident.

So, I guess technically, I should be paying tax on that income here in Argentina? (though i'm still on a tourist visa - on my 5th month)
Just wondering...

I agree with EMR that you need to find a tax adviser that can help you with this.

As far as I know (*), you should be paying taxes where you are a resident. You must be a resident somewhere? What is the address on your bank account?

*which isn't enough to qualify as a tax adviser.

You should be paying taxes in the country where you have residence I guess.

Check the local laws for where ever you are normally resident. If you are resident here you pay taxes here. If you are on a tourist visa you don't pay tax.

Back