Where Are The Expats Now

Apologies EJ, I hadn't slept well before I wrote that and it was more brusque than intended.

To Sergio, just stick a dot com after the British Expats and the job's a good 'un.

Well, almost. Navigate through the forums to Rest Of The World and people from Argentina use the South, Central America and Mexico subsection. I use the same handle in all three places though I don't write much anywhere these days.

There's a whole section for returnees. People also write about their difficulties and experiences and advice about returning to the UK with non-EU spouses - soon to be non-British spouses, I suppose and if things keep going the way they are before long it will be, "anybody who looks a bit foreign."

Apologies EJ, I hadn't slept well before I wrote that and it was more brusque than intended.

A touch of class. Thank you. Unfortunately, often in short supply here.

Certainly no apologies needed for me, but as you say, a bit brusque.

I really do think DNU 70/2017 is a death blow to the expat community in Arg I have done allot research on it. I am fine as my wife is Arg but this is no longer and expat friendly country by any stretch of the imagination. At first was like well get the crud out but that is not what I am seeing in my research. There is writing on the wall here as I can see it. So there is and will be a huge decline in expats of course. Not a wise move at all as it will not attract talent or people with potential resources as it has been said, it is draconian.

According to what I have read at this time every immigrant is a suspect. Your residency is about meaningful as a piece of toilet paper right now as far as I can tell. Even human rights groups and counsels around the world have shown great concern and questioned this DNU but that has fallen of deaf ears.

I am an unwavering fan of human rights and I am not comfortable in country where I do believe human rights are not a high priority. Cell phone rules coming into play now, not an arg cell phone, no service. Do not tell me that is about crime it is about money. What is next? As the Uruguayans told me so often when world is ending everyone moves to Uruguay. And you will not only find a mountain of expats from all over the world there you will also find and incredible amount of Argentinians.

The pendulum has swung and who wants to pay these prices and taxes for the level of service, excellence and infrastructure ARG provides. If not for family I would not even consider it. I do not really have an option as my wifes mother needs us here and as they say blood is thicker than water. She may not be my mother but she has treated me as nothing than a real son. I am certainly not about to let her live alone at her age, suffer alone or pass alone. That is the only thing that will keep me here.

I really do think DNU 20/2017 is a death blow to the expat community in Arg I have done allot research on it. I am fine as my wife is Arg but this is no longer and expat friendly country by any stretch of the imagination. At first was like well get the crud out but that is not what I am seeing in my research. There is writing on the wall here as I can see it. So there is and will be a huge decline in expats of course. Not a wise move at all as it will not attract talent or people with potential resources as it has been said, it is draconian.

According to what I have read at this time every immigrant is a suspect. Your residency is about meaningful as a piece of toilet paper right now as far as I can tell. Even human rights groups and counsels around the world have shown great concern and questioned this DNU but that has fallen of deaf ears.

I am an unwavering fan of human rights and I am not comfortable in country where I do believe human rights are not a high priority. Cell phone rules coming into play now, not an arg cell phone, no service. Do not tell me that is about crime it is about money. What is next? As the Uruguayans told me so often when world is ending everyone moves to Uruguay. And you will not only find a mountain of expats from all over the world there you will also find and incredible amount of Argentinians.

The pendulum has swung and who wants to pay these prices and taxes for the level of service, excellence and infrastructure ARG provides. If not for family I would not even consider it. I do not really have an option as my wifes mother needs us here and as they say blood is thicker than water. She may not be my mother but she has treated me as nothing than a real son. I am certainly not about to let her live alone at her age, suffer alone or pass alone. That is the only thing that will keep me here.

Whats '[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]DNU 20/2017'? I looked for a definition but couldn't find one.[/background]

It is 70/2017 a typo on my part sorry.

https://www.cels.org...u-de-migrantes/

In this sense, it associates migration with crime, basing its assessment on partial, decontextualized data.

Now that will make you see the writing on the wall. And a complete violation of the constitution.

I don't know as many expats that are "irregular" as I used to, but I still run into people who've been here forever and don't have a formal residence, although they are usually people from developed countries. I'm assuming that law targets mostly poor immigrants from surrounding countries...colombia, paraguay, bolivia, peru, etc. I guess the assumption is that they are more heavy users of the social services and are more associated with crime problems than someone from England, Australia, US, France.

That being said, Buenos Aires seems much more diverse now than 5 years ago. Lots of Venezuelans, Colombians, Senegalese, Dominicans.

We all know things take time to kick in down here let us see in say 4 years.

It was so interesting when the police came here looking for me checking everything out. I could tell they did no like what they were doing but they were so polite but the attitude I could I tell was like what the hell I am doing this for. My wife is like trying to defend it all.. this is my husband this is where we live for real. As I said all very polite but still invasive without warning. I guess I should be glad I am a programmer and designer now that works from home or I might not have been here. I actually answered the door I was like what do the police want with me LOL ha h ah a.. They were quick to explain it was an immigration check. Men 5 foot 3 to 6 skinny guys looking up at 6 foot 2 gym monster. I am thinking shit what did I do lol until he talked about imaginations and I have not done anything but work and take care of my wife and family. Just sorta freaked me out a little.

I don't know as many expats that are "irregular" as I used to, but I still run into people who've been here forever and don't have a formal residence, although they are usually people from developed countries. I'm assuming that law targets mostly poor immigrants from surrounding countries...colombia, paraguay, bolivia, peru, etc. I guess the assumption is that they are more heavy users of the social services and are more associated with crime problems than someone from England, Australia, US, France.

That being said, Buenos Aires seems much more diverse now than 5 years ago. Lots of Venezuelans, Colombians, Senegalese, Dominicans.
If the new law violates the Arg constitution, I would think that it will soon be challenged and found to be unenforcible. However, if it doesn't violate the constitution and restricts illegal immigrants, e.g. those who overstay for long periods or commit crimes while here, from re-entering, then I am in favor of it. Arg can not support both open borders and a welfare state. Hasn't history proved that? Is there anything controversial about that?

When something as broad as this is legislated is manifested I do believe there is allot of room for collateral damage.. An educated immigration reform would be targeted correctly like a rifle as apposed to a shot gun with buck shot. I agree with what you say but that is not detailed out in this legislative action.

Back