Where Are The Expats Now

It was so interesting when the police came here looking for me checking everything out. I could tell they did no like what they were doing but they were so polite but the attitude I could I tell was like what the hell I am doing this for. My wife is like trying to defend it all.. this is my husband this is where we live for real. As I said all very polite but still invasive without warning. I guess I should be glad I am a programmer and designer now that works from home or I might not have been here. I actually answered the door I was like what do the police want with me LOL ha h ah a.. They were quick to explain it was an immigration check. Men 5 foot 3 to 6 skinny guys looking up at 6 foot 2 gym monster. I am thinking shit what did I do lol until he talked about imaginations and I have not done anything but work and take care of my wife and family. Just sorta freaked me out a little.
Apologies if the info is buried somewhere in the previous threads, but I got a bit lost in the maze - do you not have a precaria or any DNI - temporary or permanent? Or did the police came to verify that you are behaving yourself according to the rules, i.e. residing in the country?

Apologies if the info is buried somewhere in the previous threads, but I got a bit lost in the maze - do you not have a precaria or any DNI - temporary or permanent? Or did the police came to verify that you are behaving yourself according to the rules, i.e. residing in the country?

I am married to an Argentinian, Had perm residency then went to URU for 5 years and did not come back here at all, result I had to start over and go threw the perm residency process again. I believe if you have permanent residency you have come back to Argentina at least one time every two years, I did not. All the paper work etc has been filed. At this moment I have a precaria document which is I guess you would say is document stating that my residency and documentation is in process.

The police came to verify that I do indeed live at this address and who I live with and took their DNI info as well. My wife talked with imaginations last week they were actually waiting on the verification from the police and the last thing they will verify is our Argentinian marriage status and then my DNI will be sent to me once that is verified.

Hope that clears things up.

I am married to an Argentinian, Had perm residency then went to URU for 5 years and did not come back here at all, result I had to start over and go threw the perm residency process again. I believe if you have permanent residency you have come back to Argentina at least one time every two years, I did not. All the paper work etc has been filed. At this moment I have a precaria document which is I guess you would say is document stating that my residency and documentation is in process.

The police came to verify that I do indeed live at this address and who I live with and took their DNI info as well. My wife talked with imaginations last week they were actually waiting on the verification from the police and the last thing they will verify is our Argentinian marriage status and then my DNI will be sent to me once that is verified.

Hope that clears things up.
Gracias gracias, it's all coming back now, I must be developing either an adolescent version of dementia or an adult one of ADD...Yes, you have to come back for one day every two years to keep the permanent one valid. I guess I got a lucky break when I first applied for the residency last year - no police visits during my two months wait for DNI. Or may be they mostly started reinforcing it after the infamous DNU...Fingers crossed you'll be a "proud" owner of another DNI shortly and a permanent one at that -given your married status. Just resist the temptation to shoot the local officials randomly and you shouldn't need the citizenship in order to be able to stick around here. ( unless you really want to vote for Trump :D ) .

Gracias gracias, it's all coming back now, I must be developing either an adolescent version of dementia or an adult one of ADD...Yes, you have to come back for one day every two years to keep the permanent one valid. I guess I got a lucky break when I first applied for the residency last year - no police visits during my two months wait for DNI. Or may be they mostly started reinforcing it after the infamous DNU...Fingers crossed you'll be a "proud" owner of another DNI shortly and a permanent one at that -given your married status. Just resist the temptation to shoot the local officials randomly and you shouldn't need the citizenship in order to be able to stick around here. ( unless you really want to vote for Trump :D ) .

I am sure it is the new DNU 70-2017 from earlier this year that brought about the visit and verification. No big deal really just rather unexpected and unannounced.

.... I guess I got a lucky break when I first applied for the residency last year - no police visits during my two months wait for DNI. Or may be they mostly started reinforcing it after the infamous DNU...Fingers crossed you'll be a "proud" owner of another DNI shortly and a permanent one at that -given your married status....

This is an interesting point. I believe Pensador is the first individual to report about a "police visit" to his domicile while waiting for his DNI after the implementation of the DNU 70-2107.

His situation is obviously different from that of a first time applicant for temporary residency, as well as anyone changing their category from temporary to permanent.

As Pensador allowed his permanent residency expire while living in Uruguay for five years, we can only surmise that he was granted a 90 day visa when he returned to Argentina with his wife.

We don't know if he applied for "new" permanent residency before or after his 90 day via (or a 90 day extension of it) expired.

Nor do we know if he provided a certificado de domicilio when he submitted the paperwork to get his new permanent residency..

I am guessing he had to provide a copy of his marriage certificate and an official document that indicates his current marital status. We don't know if his wife accompanied him on any of his visits to migraciones.

Even if he provided all of the paperwork mentioned above and his wife accompanied him when he went to migraciones, I am not all that surprised by the police visit.

The visit might be a direct result of the DNU, but it also might be unique to his situation. Also, procedures in the provinces can vary from those in Capital Federal.

We'll only know for sure if and when someone who is waiting for their first DNI reports that the police visited their domicilio after they received their precaria, prior to receiving their DNI.

The reason I would like to know is simplly to be able to make the information available to any newbie who asks about what to expect during their residency application process.

I filed my initial paper work within my first few weeks back in Arg along with my certificado de domicilio. I got the certificado de domicilio the usual way going to the local police station with 2 neighbors too testify that I do indeed live here. I was told I would need a new FBI report and reports from URU, and Argentina beyond what I had provided. I got those documents done and took them to imaginations. I remember seeing this on the Celano website...

Address Declarations

Starting April 1st, 2017 the Immigration Department implemented stiffer controls and thorough screening on address declarations in residency petitions. All applicants are now required to sign a sworn statement about their place of residence, who they live with and whether the place is rented, owned or free use.
Making a false statement of your address may result in harsh consequences such as removal and prohibition to reenter the country.

http://www.celano.co...s-declarations/

So it is pretty obvious why I had a visit if you ask me.

So it is pretty obvious why I had a visit if you ask me.

I obviously asked, and now that you have provided a detailed answer, the reasons are clear. Thanks!

PS: The information quoted from the Celano website does not specifically mention that the police will visit, but that may be inferred by the words "through screening" of applicants for residency.

Thanks to you, this is something I will now inform new applicants for residency to expect and be prepared for, especially the do-it-yourselfers.

The changes are amazing and sweeping when compared to just a few years ago.

Back