Where Are The Expats Now

The changes are amazing and sweeping when compared to just a few years ago.

What I'd like to know is if the Chinese and Dominicans (among other non-Caucasians) are now being purged, is migraciones no longer granting residency to any one who is not Caucasian and not from another Mercorsur nation.

I know a woman from Venezuela who is now living in Argentina. She has white skin and blue eyes, but most of her six children (at least four of whom now also live in Argentina) have darker skin and dark eyes.

I'm assuming they could all get residency in Argentina, but what about an individual from Colombia (for example) who has darker skin pigmentation?

Would they now have a problem getting temporary residency in Argentina, or is migraciones only targeting non-Caucasians from some countries while admitting darker skinned individuals from others?

PS: Given the title and original topic of this thread, I'd like to know if anyone has found in depth discussions like this one on any of the other Argentine expat websites or forums.

I haven't found any, but I'd like to know about and read any that are out there.

PS2: Since Pensador started this thread there has been a remarkable increase of activity in this forum, and I am very glad to see it.

I obviously asked, and now that you have provided a detailed answer, the reasons are clear. Thanks!

PS: The information quoted from the Celano website does not specifically mention that the police will visit, but that may be inferred by the words "through screening" of applicants for residency.

Thanks to you, this is something I will now inform new applicants for residency to expect and be prepared for, especially the do-it-yourselfers.

Steve, let's not get carried away, nothing is ever clear in this wonderland. I did my renewal this past september - certificado de domicilio was given to me within about 3 minutes for free right at the police station without any witnesses present or any paper proof other than my temporary DNI having the address on it. Migraciones not only didn't ask me to sign anything, but didn't want the certificado at all - I was told not to bother next time. When I originally applied in 2016 I had no proof either and no witness , but they brought the certificado to my place the day after and left it with the vigilancia boys, so that in a way would have been a proof of my address, unless I would have bribed the boys to accept the certificate and give it to me - without me actually residing in the building. Pensador, what do we tell the poor bastards who venture into this uncharted territory after us? :D
Ah, yes, and in 'the other news' - sorry guys, too lazy to skip to the appropriate thread, I rented a car in Bariloche with my DNI and a Canadian driver license and they didn't even blink - I went as far as actually asking if I should have had an international one or if they would prefer my passport - given the unmatched ID's and license's birth places - nope, no problem whatsoever, except I had some mini toy car for the price you rent a BMW in NA...

Back